Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 16:33   #26
Binastro

Post 18.
This morning after 4 1/2 hours I awoke in a dark room.
My eyes were dark adapted and there was faint light illuminating the bookcase with white and various dark objects.
With both eyes open I reckoned that the image was 20% to 30% brighter than with either left or right eye alone.
I tried this several times.

When younger, at night I think the difference was very clear with two eyes compared to one just looking at the stars and sky background.

In the day I doubt that it makes much if any difference, but I am not sure.
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 17:05   #27
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Post 18.
This morning after 4 1/2 hours I awoke in a dark room.
My eyes were dark adapted and there was faint light illuminating the bookcase with white and various dark objects.
With both eyes open I reckoned that the image was 20% to 30% brighter than with either left or right eye alone.
I tried this several times.

When younger, at night I think the difference was very clear with two eyes compared to one just looking at the stars and sky background.

In the day I doubt that it makes much if any difference, but I am not sure.
I tried this the other morning as well. I also noticed an increase in brightness, but attributed it to the larger illuminated field that both eyes provided. When I specifically tried to focus on a singular surface or object, I couldn't say for sure that it got brighter. I think 2 variables changing at the same time is enough to confuse the issue for me. Perhaps a more subtle way of describing brightness in low light is to consider whether shadowed areas reveal more detail, vs. increasing the intensity of the brighter elements. I will try it again with that consideration in mind.

Bill
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 19:29   #28
henry link

Here's an easy way to see the increase in apparent brightness from using two eyes instead of one. All you need is the computer screen you're looking at now and a small dark object, like a black cell phone or black piece of paper.

The photo below simulates what you will see if you focus on the computer screen and then place the dark object between your eyes and the screen. Keep your eyes focused on the screen, not the object. Where both eyes are blocked from seeing the screen you will see only black. On either side of the black shape there will be a kind of penumbra where only one eye sees the screen. Outside those areas both eyes see the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0595.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	643499  
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 19:45   #29
Binastro

Thanks Henry.
I find this a bit difficult and variable.
But sometimes it works.
I'll try a smaller black object.
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 20:08   #30
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
Here's an easy way to see the increase in apparent brightness from using two eyes instead of one. All you need is the computer screen you're looking at now and a small dark object, like a black cell phone or black piece of paper.

The photo below simulates what you will see if you focus on the computer screen and then place the dark object between your eyes and the screen. Keep your eyes focused on the screen, not the object. Where both eyes are blocked from seeing the screen you will see only black. On either side of the black shape there will be a kind of penumbra where only one eye sees the screen. Outside those areas both eyes see the screen.
Hi Henry, Thanks for the suggested experiment. There's other artifacts at play in my case, so I can't confirm the effect you're describing. Sometimes I see a brighter edge right next to the dark object. Given that I'm perpetually mildly cross-eyed, have a dominant eye, and wear glasses probably gum up the works with regard to a consistent result. I'll keep trying.
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 20:30   #31
wdc

Henry and Binastro, I made a photoshop file of white with a black stripe running vertically down the center, and set it to full screen. I am able to see briefly the effect Henry describes, but as soon as there is any motion of my head or eyes, I get the reverse effect of a brighter edge outboard of the black.
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 21:12   #32
Canip

Is this thread still about the Nikon WX ? Reading the last few posts feels like having fallen asleep in front of TV and waking up in the middle of the next movie ...
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 21:35   #33
wdc

I apologize for helping derail the thread. I feel like I attended a lecture, but started talking to someone seated next to me...

Bill
Old Thursday 19th October 2017, 06:29   #34
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
I apologize for helping derail the thread. I feel like I attended a lecture, but started talking to someone seated next to me...

Bill
Thank you, no bad feelings (my intervention wasn‘t meant to be too serious)
:-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: