Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 19:59   #1
follownoone

IPD hinge tightness 8x32 SE

Okay, I just bought a harness and my IPD hinge is just loose enough that the harness changes my setting as it is a little loose and has been for awhile. Before I pull off the caps to look, I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted theirs. I am assuming there might be a screw underneath the cover? And maybe it just needs to be tightened a little.

Thanks
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 20:56   #2
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by follownoone View Post
Okay, I just bought a harness and my IPD hinge is just loose enough that the harness changes my setting as it is a little loose and has been for awhile. Before I pull off the caps to look, I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted theirs. I am assuming there might be a screw underneath the cover? And maybe it just needs to be tightened a little.

Thanks
I could never persuade the blind caps on the front of the hinges of my SEs to unscrew off them. I don't think that they do, so be careful! I sure there is a way to do it but probably not by the owner/user.

There is a special tripod mount made for the SEs that fits over the hinge axle.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...se-series.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 23rd September 2017 at 21:02.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 21:19   #3
follownoone

I was wondering about the cap with IPD distance on it - if it popped off or if it would mess it up so that is why I asked. It turns but to me it looks like it has to be forced off. Are you saying the tripod adapter would prevent it from moving and that would be a solution?
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 23:25   #4
ceasar

Quote:
I was wondering about the cap with IPD distance on it - if it popped off or if it would mess it up so that is why I asked. It turns but to me it looks like it has to be forced off. Are you saying the tripod adapter would prevent it from moving and that would be a solution?
No. I'm sorry if I confused the problem even more.

Binoculars that attach a tripod adapter to the front of their hinge (after removing the blind cap) often can also have the hinge tightened from the front through a series of concentric holes in the front bolt. You need a pin wrench and small screw driver to do it.

On the SE we don't know if its hinge can be tightened from the front.

Perhaps someone who knows how to do it on the SEs can jump in here and advise us?

Bob

Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 00:55   #5
NDhunter

I have tightened the hinge on the SE. It is not easy, and the front hinge cap has to be pried off.

It is hard to do without marring the cap. Then you need to have basic knowledge and tools to
go further.

Jerry
Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 01:07   #6
Pileatus

Quote:

Thanks
Bill has 8X32 SE...maybe he can answer this.
Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 03:45   #7
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Bill has 8X32 SE...maybe he can answer this.
Good idea, Pile. I would also like Bill to chime in. I only post on here'
from experience, and a full set of tools. This is not rocket science but
a small bit of knowhow.

I am thinking Bill has not had a need to do anything with his SE, they
are well built.

Jerry
Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 04:59   #8
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Good idea, Pile. I would also like Bill to chime in. I only post on here'
from experience, and a full set of tools. This is not rocket science but
a small bit of knowhow.

I am thinking Bill has not had a need to do anything with his SE, they
are well built.

Jerry
I rarely come to this section of BF, and although I have sacrificed for my neighbor, I am not going to scar up my axle cap to see what’s under it. Mine is a tight as a drum, I never had a complaint from a customer, and I expect mine to go to my daughter—that way—when I buy the farm. For the money spent, I would hope Nikon would tighten or replace. However, while I can’t speak to the East Coasties, I can say I lost my respect for the SoCAL repair group because of a number of screw-ups around the turn of the century. Of course, there’s always Cory. I think he saw a binocular ... once.

Bill
Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 14:16   #9
ceasar

Follownoone,

Here is a link to Cory Suddarth's Optical Repair in Oklahoma. It will be properly fixed there. Call him and inquire about the IPD problem you have on your Nikon SE.

In my personal opinion a classic binocular like the Nikon SE is much too good a binocular to do one's own repairs on. And they don't make them anymore either.

https://suddarthoptical.com/

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 24th September 2017 at 14:28.

Old Monday 25th September 2017, 11:56   #10
follownoone

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was in the field yesterday and it is a little annoying so I may have to consider sending it to be fixed or trying to get the cap off myself and taking a look. If I have success I will let you know.

Thanks again.
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 15:20   #11
Pileatus

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was in the field yesterday and it is a little annoying so I may have to consider sending it to be fixed or trying to get the cap off myself and taking a look. If I have success I will let you know.

Thanks again.
If you send it to Nikon you may want ask/require they tighten to your needs. Mine is and has always been tight enough to stay set, regardless of use. Setting the IPD requires deliberate, concentrated force. I love it. My wife's 8X32 SE, however, is not as tight and will lose the setting if bumped. It's very smooth but right at the limit of my tolerance. I want IPD's to stay where I set them!

Years ago, I had another SE repaired. The gold lettered plastic end cap was replaced with a silver lettered cap. The hinge (IPD) setting came back just fine, though not as tight as my personal sample.
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 15:38   #12
ceasar

I wouldn't send it to Nikon with out making it clear that you will not accept a replacement of another "equivalent" binocular.

It is a discontinued binocular and under their warranty they could decide to replace it with another "equivalent" binocular. Personally I would not be happy with that if it happened to me. IMO there is no equivalent to a Nikon SE!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 25th September 2017 at 15:41.

Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 11:27   #13
bluespiderweb

I bought my SE 8x32 from another forum member here, with a loose center hinge (which I knew before the sale), and sent it out to California, as it is the only Nikon Warranty center in the US for binoculars now, it seems.

They reset the tension under warranty, and when I got it back, it had been tightened to the extreme, and you could not move it without a lot of force, which was not suitable at all. So, I had to send it back again, and when it came back this time, it was done correctly-firm, but not hard to move if you wanted to change the ipd.

So yes, someone out there knows how to do it right, but maybe Cory in OK would be a surer bet. Don't know what they would charge though-might be good to ask, whereas you should be able to get it repaired at Nikon under warranty for just the shipping out.

Ah, you know?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: