Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 21:26   #1
Mick50

Manfrotto & customer service on problems

Hi all. I have a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head that I purchased several years ago. The mechanism that holds the QR plate in place has always been sticky, but now it's giving me major problems to the point of not working at all.

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about getting it fixed? Contact Manfrotto? Contact the place of purchase (online)? Take it somewhere local if I can find a place?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 23:37   #2
mayoayo

Not a very complicated mechanism..I dont know what can go wrong with it ,except dirt or grit getting in there,perhaps some rust...I dont have the head with me,but tomorrow I can take mine apart and post a couple pictures of the process..It would be an easy DIY fix,i am sure
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 15:54   #3
Mick50

If I can fix it that would be much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
Not a very complicated mechanism..I dont know what can go wrong with it ,except dirt or grit getting in there,perhaps some rust...I dont have the head with me,but tomorrow I can take mine apart and post a couple pictures of the process..It wouldbe an easy DIY fix,i am sure
Thanks! I'm not mechanically inclined but if I can figure out how to tweak it or make an adjustment that would be great.

The gold "button" seems to stay locked up. I can push it down and then try to lock the plate with the small lever, but it does not stay locked.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 15:56   #4
Mick50

There's no rust in there, and I don't use it in harsh conditions to get very dirty, but I will look for any dust/dirt.
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 22:00   #5
Malcolm Stewart

I've been using a Manfrotto 128RC as my main tripod head for several years, and seeing your query, I've had a quick look at mine. The lock button seemed a bit stiff, so I applied one drop of machine oil to it, and another drop underneath the rotating lock plate. It's now so much freer than recently! Thanks for the prompt.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: