Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 5th October 2016, 14:30   #1
Tenuki

Sony Nex 5 + TLS APO + Swarovski ATX 85, not working

Hello,

I've read some good reports on this setting. But I get a tremendous amount of vignetting and dark areas close to the corner.

I'm using the 23mm version of the TLS APO and I've tried a couple of adapters: opticron's and Dorr's. Opticron's allows me to identify the bird but it's not even close to a "clear" photo. Dorr's is useless.

So, I'd like to ask about the adapter, which one are you using? Do you get some vignetting or have you managed to completely avoid vignetting?

Thank you very much
Old Friday 7th October 2016, 09:42   #2
Tenuki

Well, I answer myself. The working combination is: 30mm TLS APO and the opticron T2 adapter
Old Sunday 16th October 2016, 10:39   #3
Tenuki

Some tuning must be done within the menu, but the results are reasonably good
-Vignetting compensation
-Chromic aberration compensation
-Manual focus assistance ON (then you can tap on the screen for some digital zoom and focus tunning)
-Focus peaking off. I find it rather annoying instead of helpful, but it's useful for fast moving birds

Sample: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8547/3...ade04e76_k.jpg
Alcedo Atthis by Alex G, en Flickr

Last edited by Tenuki : Sunday 16th October 2016 at 10:43.
Old Monday 2nd January 2017, 13:05   #4
fdokykcu

Regarding focus peaking, as you say, it can be helpful in some situations that don't allow "easy" precise manual focus, but not for everyday use. What I've done is to program one of the top small buttons with focus peaking ON/OFF, so I have it at hand quickly when needed. I have another top button programmed with the x5-x10 zoom ON/OFF, that is the way in which I fine-tune the focus of most of my photos. My camera is slightly different but I guess something similar can be done with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenuki View Post
Some tuning must be done within the menu, but the results are reasonably good
-Vignetting compensation
-Chromic aberration compensation
-Manual focus assistance ON (then you can tap on the screen for some digital zoom and focus tunning)
-Focus peaking off. I find it rather annoying instead of helpful, but it's useful for fast moving birds

Sample: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8547/3...ade04e76_k.jpg
Alcedo Atthis by Alex G, en Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136473006@N08/albums
Old Wednesday 4th January 2017, 15:21   #5
Tenuki

Actually I gave up with the tls apo + sony nex combination, it doesn't work. TLS APO was designed for micro 4/3 sensors....

I've bought an used panasonic g5... with greatly improved results. I expect to have a better tripod in a few days and I'll make a review of both systems, mainly focusing on vignetting, zoom, focal and image quality.
Old Wednesday 18th October 2017, 12:53   #6
Albertabirder

Quote:
Actually I gave up with the tls apo + sony nex combination, it doesn't work. TLS APO was designed for micro 4/3 sensors....

I've bought an used panasonic g5... with greatly improved results. I expect to have a better tripod in a few days and I'll make a review of both systems, mainly focusing on vignetting, zoom, focal and image quality.
VERY INTERESTED.....How are you getting on with this combo? I have G85/Swaro STX 65... and looking to marry the two via this combo...I am assuming the T2 ring is the adapter for camera? Do you still maintain the twist out eye cup? Thanks Raptor.
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 10:53   #7
mpc

Quote:
There are 3 TLS APO adapters available for different size sensors: 23mm (4/3), 30mm (APS-C) and 43mm (full frame). The TLS APO 30mm is the correct adapter for the NEX5, I use this TLS APO on the Sony a6000, which has the same size sensor as the NEX.
Regards
Mark
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 19:09   #8
rob lee

Same as that, works for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4109-002.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	644651  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4221-001.jpg