Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 08:51   #26
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Apologies if my post did not make it sufficiently clear that I did not mount an actual rifle sight to an angled telescope. In fact, nothing more sophisticated than a plastic cable tie cut to length as shown in the accompanying image.
Ah, I see ... "rifle sight" is a pretty good description actually :-)

The sight I drafted is similar to the old "sports viewfinders" (if the German term translates) used in the mid-20th century, only that with the short focal lengths then in use, the old ones were often visibly pyramid-shaped, opening out to the far end.

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 09:05   #27
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi Jurek,

I'm not sure the Panasonic DMC FZ1000 has been mentioned yet. It's a bridge camera so the lenses are not interchangable, but it has a 1" sensor and a tele lens of 400 mm equivalent focal length. The autofocus is quick and easily good enough for birds in flight. Not too expensive, either.

Regards,

Henning
TS writes "- It should still be a good camera with telephoto lenses, able to take high quality pictures (not just documents). "

FZ1000 is an interesting suggestion, good value for money considering that the IQ seem to be quite close to a D300s (and 350D) with good IQ up to ISO800. The weak point would be the lens (could be sharper at 400mm) and durability (not weather sealed).

The definition of "high quality pictures" is of course subjective but for publishing pics on the web and print smaller sizes, the FZ1000 would be fine. If the budget is larger, I would probably go for a more conventional DSLR, but the cost could easily triple.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...___958_614_183

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Wednesday 1st November 2017 at 09:13.
Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 13:38   #28
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Apologies if my post did not make it sufficiently clear that I did not mount an actual rifle sight to an angled telescope.
Coincedentally, this is what my FZ1000 looks like at the moment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Target Scope.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	644929

I actually bought the (cheapo) scope for mounting it on my birding scope, but as it fit my camera, I just put it on to see what it looks like.

When I just picked it up and actually adjusted the sight to match the sightline of the camera, it became apparent that at 400 mm, the margin of error is not very big if you want to keep a bird in the frame.

(The scope has a 4x magnification with a wide eye relief and gives a pretty good view for the purpose. I didn't expect to use it on the camera as depicted, but except for its bulk and weight, it appears to be quite a functional setup, to my suprise.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 13:59   #29
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Just found this which i posted on another forum ref the re focus speed, taken from the manual.

Sets the sensitivity to be applied when adjusting the focus
according to the movement of the subject.
When the distance to the subject changes drastically:
[+] side: The camera re-adjusts the focus immediately.
You can bring different subjects into focus one after
another.
[-] side: The camera waits for a short period of time
before re-adjusting the focus. This allows you to
prevent the focus from being accidentally re-adjusted
when, for example, an object moves across the image.
This item works only when the Focus Mode is set to [AFF]
or [AFC].
s
MENU > [Custom]
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go...I definitely need to put the time in to learn the menus.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: