Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 09:26   #1
Rgallardy

Ultimate Madagascar: ALL the endemics Nov/Dec 2017

....ok, maybe not Dusky Tetraka, but everything else!

Hi all,

I've put together an itinerary that should produce all of Madagascar's endemics except the tetraka (if anyone has a spot let me know!). Originally another couple was supposed to join my wife and I, but unfortunately work commitments have lead them to cancel on us. We are looking for two more experienced birders who are willing to be out in the field all day every day. Ideally we are looking for two people for the whole trip, but if you're interested in just one section, that could probably work too. This is an independent trip, but as is the nature of Madagascar, we will use local guides at almost all sites since they are mandatory. We plan on using a hired vehicle/driver the entire time as well. I've already done preliminary logistics and have found drivers for each section. Prices range around US $70 per day, so splitting that four ways will be cheap.

Overall, I think the 35 day trip should cost around around $2000-$2500 per person not including some internal airfare (this is of course a rough estimate so don't hold me to that).

Accommodation will be in cheap hotels or camping when possible.

Below is the itinerary. I am not flexible on dates, as I've already booked tickets etc.

Oct 31: Arrive Tana
Nov 1-3: Tsingy Wood-Rail trip
Nov 4-8: Andsibe area
Nov 9-20: Northern Madagascar to include Red Owl/Pochard/Bernier's Teal/Sakalava Rail
Nov 21-25: SE Madagascar
Nov 26-30: SW Madagascar
Dec 1-4: Ranomafana area
Dec 5: flight out

Although I'm not gauranteeing that we will get all of the endemics, I feel the itinerary gives enough time at all the key locations that I do expect to clean up in the country. So if you're interested in birding Madagascar and doing it cheaply, let me know!

Check out http://www.budgetbirders.com for info on my previous birding trips.

Best,

Ross
Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 21:03   #2
geoff dobbs
Hull Valley Birder

Still spaces available?
Geoff
Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 22:30   #3
pbjosh

Hi Geoff,

Not Ross but I'm joining Ross and Melissa in Madagascar so one spot definitely still available. Not sure on vehicle sizes / space limits if more than 4 total are possible. Ross is in and out of internet connectivity and should see this in a few days.
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:43   #4
temmie

FWIW, Dusky Tetraka should be at Marojejy, but it either seems nobody is looking for it there / in combination with the bird hard to get?

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:46   #5
lewis20126

Where are you targeting Mad Serpent Eagle? That really seems to have gone off the boil in recent years although I haven't kept up with things as much as I do for some regions. I also got the sense that the SB Flufftail was now very difficult at the key site.

cheers, alan
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 18:17   #6
geoff dobbs
Hull Valley Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Hi Geoff,

Not Ross but I'm joining Ross and Melissa in Madagascar so one spot definitely still available. Not sure on vehicle sizes / space limits if more than 4 total are possible. Ross is in and out of internet connectivity and should see this in a few days.
Will take a place if available. Will pm Ross.
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 23:28   #7
sicklebill

I don't know anywhere for Madagascar Serpent Eagle, the Pochard site is the best shot perhaps, ditto for Slender-billed Flufftail. I know of no sites for Dusky Tetraka and really hope someone can sort this one out, the field characters remain a mess due to confusion with young Spectacled Tetraka and there seem to be few recent records, mostly clouded by the i. d. issue too.
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 02:13   #8
Rgallardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff dobbs View Post
Still spaces available?
Geoff
Geoff I'll send you a PM. Sorry for the delay. I've been traveling around Sulawesi and haven't had much data lately.

Best,

Ross
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 02:19   #9
Rgallardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Where are you targeting Mad Serpent Eagle? That really seems to have gone off the boil in recent years although I haven't kept up with things as much as I do for some regions. I also got the sense that the SB Flufftail was now very difficult at the key site.

cheers, alan
According to Lily, the National Project Director for the Peregrine Fund, they've recently (January) radio tagged both a female and fledgling Serpent-eagle at Bemenavika so assuming the transmitters still work, that should help out with finding them. Slender-billed Flufftail also seems to be gettable at a marsh at Bemenavika now as well.

Ross
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 04:17   #10
sicklebill

Good luck with the road in and hope it stays dry.....
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 10:00   #11
Arbu

Take some old trousers if going in to that marsh to look for the Slender-billed Flufftail - that grass cut my legs up pretty heavily.

At Tampo Lodge, Maroantsetra my guide pointed to a bird sitting quietly in the scrub just back from the beach. It looked good for a Dusky Tetraka, and that's what my guide thought, but I took my eyes of it for a moment and it was gone, never to be refound.
Old Sunday 6th August 2017, 22:50   #12
jerrykruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgallardy View Post
....ok, maybe not Dusky Tetraka, but everything else!

Hi all,

I've put together an itinerary that should produce all of Madagascar's endemics except the tetraka (if anyone has a spot let me know!). Originally another couple was supposed to join my wife and I, but unfortunately work commitments have lead them to cancel on us. We are looking for two more experienced birders who are willing to be out in the field all day every day. Ideally we are looking for two people for the whole trip, but if you're interested in just one section, that could probably work too. This is an independent trip, but as is the nature of Madagascar, we will use local guides at almost all sites since they are mandatory. We plan on using a hired vehicle/driver the entire time as well. I've already done preliminary logistics and have found drivers for each section. Prices range around US $70 per day, so splitting that four ways will be cheap.

Overall, I think the 35 day trip should cost around around $2000-$2500 per person not including some internal airfare (this is of course a rough estimate so don't hold me to that).

Accommodation will be in cheap hotels or camping when possible.

Below is the itinerary. I am not flexible on dates, as I've already booked tickets etc.

Oct 31: Arrive Tana
Nov 1-3: Tsingy Wood-Rail trip
Nov 4-8: Andsibe area
Nov 9-20: Northern Madagascar to include Red Owl/Pochard/Bernier's Teal/Sakalava Rail
Nov 21-25: SE Madagascar
Nov 26-30: SW Madagascar
Dec 1-4: Ranomafana area
Dec 5: flight out

Although I'm not gauranteeing that we will get all of the endemics, I feel the itinerary gives enough time at all the key locations that I do expect to clean up in the country. So if you're interested in birding Madagascar and doing it cheaply, let me know!

Check out http://www.budgetbirders.com for info on my previous birding trips.

Best,

Ross
Hello Ross,

My wife and I are moderately skilled birders and used to traveling on our own. We plan to visit Madagascar Sept-Nov. We would be interested in joining you at some or all of your sites, as our agenda's seem similar. If interested, you can also phone us at 412-709-6433; Pittsburgh, USA.

Thank you,
Jerry Kruth
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 15:56   #13
jerrykruth

Hi again Ross. pity we never heard from you, maybe we could have hooked up somewhere? Just left Madagascar. Cleaned up 108/116 pure endemics, and 21/ 21 regionals.

good luck,

Jerry & Linda
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: