Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 2nd November 2017, 08:18   #26
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
i also own a nikon d7200 with a nikon 200-500mm lens and im afraid that there is no comparison.....the slr with its big bulky lens will better a 1 inch sensor bridge camera in every respect.
The Nikon D7200 + 200-500mm costs Euro 2000. Do you really get better photos, say, of birds in flight than Thomas Stirr with the Nikon V2 (810 mm equivalent, 1 inch sensor) that costs only Euro 800 and weighs 970g? Also, the charm of the V2 is the simplicity of handling, I found it even easier to use than the Canon SX50.

Other DSLR problems: adjusting lenses, shutter breaks, high costs if you fall into a pond... ;-)

Edit: Sorry if the above sounds like trolling. I've seen phantastic shots with a D7200, e.g. this thread. In particular non-flying birds. The V2 with its AA filter has limits. - Still, it seems counterintuitive to suggest a heavy DSLR to a Canon SX60 user. It's not the "logical next step" as an upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by HermitIbis : Thursday 2nd November 2017 at 10:38.
Old Thursday 2nd November 2017, 13:03   #27
Nick-on

[quote=Neil G.;3638445
Ps,
Ken,if you are satisfied with the level of quality in your sample photos,a bridge camera is all you need.[/QUOTE]

Ouch!!!!

Nick
Old Thursday 2nd November 2017, 13:27   #28
CalvinFold

Yeah I think derailing this with "what is best" misses the point of "they want what they want."

DSLR may be best photos, but weight-vs-reach requires a gym membership, for example. I've swung-around a D700 with a fixed-aperture NIKKOR 70-200 and while the photos are gorgeous it's really a challenge to go for a two hour walk swinging that beast around for birds in flight. And yes, we do that with some regularity, my girlfriend with her D700 + 70-300 and me with my SX60.

Bridge/superzooms have their place if you know your compromises well. You can get good, even great, photos but will generally require you to work outside the Auto mode. Now if you ask for everything to be perfect in auto mode and have long reach, I'm afraid then bridge cameras will disappoint.

My 2¢ worth for Fugl's friend is to learn to work outside Auto with the SX60 they have unless they have some specific issue that some other bridge camera can specifically solve. If they are looking for less range, there are likely are better bridge cameras.

You can check my gallery to see what the SX60 is capable of with even some basic, amateurish tweaking. Photos out to 50m, 80m, even past 100m including birds in flight are possible. It just depends on your friend's goals. Happy to share my settings and techniques, such as they are.

Last edited by CalvinFold : Thursday 2nd November 2017 at 13:57.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd November 2017, 16:21   #29
Zackiedawg

It's not necessarily saying wonderful results can't be obtained with many different types of cameras, from superzoom small sensors to high-end bridge cameras to mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras to APS-C DSLRs to full-frame pro body DSLRs.

But if you had to decide overall based purely on the maximum diversity and availability of lenses, reach, focus speed and performance, tracking ability, low-light IQ, high-ISO performance, low-light focus ability, control over DOF, and so on, that the top system would be a full-frame DSLR with high res and advanced focus, followed by crop body DSLRs and APS-C sensor mirrorless cameras, then by full-frame mirrorless (only ranking below APS-C mirrorless because of less lens adaptability and focus only a match or exceeding on 1 current body), followed by Micro4:3, followed by 1" sensor cameras, followed by smaller sensor bridge cameras. Taking all into consideration.

In perfect conditions, perfect light, the right shooting distance, there's precious little difference in overall IQ between a wide range of cameras. And the photographer's skill and experience can make a massive difference - ie: an unskilled newbie with a D850 and top of the line 500mm lens can still get worse results than a highly-experienced birder with a 1" sensor camera.

I've settled on an APS-C sensor, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera as my absolute favorite birding and wildlife rig, having shot through various smaller sensor superzooms to larger sensor bridge to DSLRs over the years. I still have a DSLR system with lenses from 300mm primes to 150-600mm zooms. But my mirrorless system is the right size, right design, right sensor, right focusing ability and speed, right tracking, and right lenses to work for me 99% of the time. While I know I might get better results with a full-frame DSLR and top of the line lens in some conditions or situations, I can get good enough in those situations with the system I have now, excellent in all other areas where I most commonly shoot, and have a system that's relatively affordable and decently light and portable (relative of course to what you're used to), so for me, it's the best choice. For someone else, a bridge might be the best mix of compromise vs desires...others, only a full-frame DSLR with $10,000 lens will make them happy. It's all OK.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Monday 6th November 2017, 00:48   #30
PeteQuad

I think your order of preference is debatable. For general use I would not take a full frame with me if I had an apsc for bird photography (assuming top of the line of both). I would like to have a full frame also for certain types of bird photography but not if I had to do without an apsc.
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 16:44   #31
CalvinFold

Hey fugl, let us know what the final choice was and why, as I'm curious.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 17:12   #32
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
Hey fugl, let us know what the final choice was and why, as I'm curious.
Will do. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: