Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 10th November 2017, 14:48   #1
gunut
Registered Offender

Do you keep your car/truck bins

in the vehicle throughout the winter.....it gets down to 15/20 below here in winter...In the summer you can keep them under the seat where its cooler..but there is no hiding from the cold....
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 15:39   #2
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
in the vehicle throughout the winter.....it gets down to 15/20 below here in winter...In the summer you can keep them under the seat where its cooler..but there is no hiding from the cold....
Waterproof or not, keep it in a sturdy zip-lock bag with a silica pouch or a few silica tablets inside.

Bill
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 11:32   #3
Rathaus

That sure is cold..and I’m assuming it’s Fahrenheit.

My challenge is with a hot vehicle interior in summer. I keep a Habicht and a little Nikon at the ready both inside the centre arm rest. I took the risk and they’re holding up fine so far for two seasons. But, It gets nasty hot in there.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 12:27   #4
oldfortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
That sure is cold..and I’m assuming it’s Fahrenheit.

My challenge is with a hot vehicle interior in summer. I keep a Habicht and a little Nikon at the ready both inside the centre arm rest. I took the risk and they’re holding up fine so far for two seasons. But, It gets nasty hot in there.
Same here. I bring mine when it starts getting down below freezing.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 13:54   #5
chill6x6

I bought truck/car binoculars to keep there so they stay. It's north Alabama and not Wisconsin I'll give you that.....but stay in the vehicle they do.

Currently the truck binoculars are Vanguard Endeavor ED II which is parked outside all the time. They function as new and I'm thinking they are two years old. Car binoculars are the Conquest HD 8X32....which IS garaged. Used them yesterday during a ferry crossing and saw a brown booby. Function as new.

If worried about the weather ruing them....I don't know what binoculars you keep in your vehicle, but if it were me I'd just get some maybe a little more replaceable.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th November 2017, 14:57   #6
Jack Speer

I'd think it'd be the heat rather than the cold that would be the more taxing of the two conditions. More pressure on seals, grease melting out of places, possible bubbling of rubber armor.

What can happen with the cold? A stiffer focus wheel?
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 15:38   #7
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Speer View Post
I'd think it'd be the heat rather than the cold that would be the more taxing of the two conditions. More pressure on seals, grease melting out of places, possible bubbling of rubber armor.

What can happen with the cold? A stiffer focus wheel?
Then, in a warmer environment—if only for a few minutes—the cold bino becomes a vacuum as the air inside "shrinks," drawing in moisture-laden air in from the outside.

Bill
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 16:18   #8
oldfortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Then, in a warmer environment—if only for a few minutes—the cold bino becomes a vacuum as the air inside "shrinks," drawing in moisture-laden air in from the outside.

Bill
They lens also get fogged up just like your glasses when moved to a warmer area.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 16:30   #9
Roadbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
Neither. I don't store them in hot or cold locations mostly to avoid the problems that can come from a sudden change in temperature.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 01:17   #10
David in NC

Mine (Diamondback 8x32s) stay in
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 06:00   #11
ailevin

For more than a decade I kept a minimalist astronomy kit in the back of my minivan including a Fujinon Meibo 7x50 binocular. This is an individual focus sealed binocular. Granted I live in Southern California--not the harshest environment. I also regularly travel to an observing site at 5,000 ft which gets down in the teens Fahrenheit in the winter. I never saw any ill effect on the binocular and I continue to use it at night, though not as often as once upon a time. I am now more likely to be using either a smaller binocular with a 5mm exit pupil or a Canon 15x34 image stabilized binocular.

I also kept an Eagle Optics 8x25 reverse Porro in the glove box. A portion of that binocular had a rubber coating that became quite sticky. I assume that was because of heat and/or air pollution. I called EO asking them how to treat them, and even though the binoculars were many years old, they had me mail them back and they fixed the coating on the housing. I will really miss EO.

Now that I am birding more and astro-viewing less, I keep a mini birding kit in each of our two cars. In one I have the Sightron II 8x32 and in the other I have the Cabela's Guide 8x32. I am very comfortable using either of these binoculars, and at their <$200 cost, I worry less about something happening to them. It is also nice to have a decent loaner on hand when I do bring my regular birding kit.

Alan
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 09:47   #12
Nixterdemus

Lifetime warranty.

What, me worry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	madcorn.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	646382  

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: