Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 07:19   #26
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
Forgive my ignorance about M4/3 but what would be an appropriate body to go with this lens and do you know roughly what the combined weight would be?
The PL 100-400 is 2.17 pounds (984g), and the Oly EM-1 mk. ii, which I use, is 1.1 pounds (499g). Another popular M4/3 body on this forum is the G80/85, which is not so expensive and weighs about the same. I don't have any problem carrying this on my shoulder all day. However, when you include the cost of the body, you do spend $1 to 2k more (in the US) for a M4/3 setup than the RX10iv.

Last edited by Jim M. : Wednesday 25th October 2017 at 07:22.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 11:04   #27
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Thanks for your replies; they're both very useful. Lots to ponder.

@SteveBabbs
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 13:08   #28
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Compared to many other bridge cameras out there 600mm seems rather modest so why would one buy this camera rather than one with a smaller sensor but a 1200+mm upper range? This isn't, I hasten to add, a criticism but just a question!
Hi John

I bough the Sony RX10iii because I wanted to improve on the image quality I was getting with the Sony SX50HS, which has the reach and the smaller sensor, and I have been delighted that I did so.

Cheers
Mike
Lifer: Red-tailed Tropicbird, Masked Booby
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 15:14   #29
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Quote:
What is the Sony RX10 iii like in low light? For me that is a crucial point. I'm getting fed up of lugging an SLR and lens around but I'm after a camera that can cope with poor light. I realise that it's not likely to be up there with my 7D mark ii but I need it to be not that far behind for it to be a viable option for me.
Here's some samples Steve of the RX10iii (not iv) in low and adverse light.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328256 post 5 pic 3 and post 7 especially may help.

I've posted a few more below.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07302 Brown Wood Owl @ Lam Tsuen.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	644174  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06596 Black Drongo @ Po Toi.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	912.7 KB
ID:	644181  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04088 Saddlebag Glider @ Ma Wan.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	644182  
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 15:30   #30
Alpha2
Alpha2

Quote:
What is the Sony RX10 iii like in low light? For me that is a crucial point. I'm getting fed up of lugging an SLR and lens around but I'm after a camera that can cope with poor light. I realise that it's not likely to be up there with my 7D mark ii but I need it to be not that far behind for it to be a viable option for me.
I have used Leica R9 with digital back and long lenses, Sony Alpha A900 plus longest Zeiss or Sony lenses, latterly I have used Olympus 2x OMD E-M1 with pro lenses.

The RX10 Mk 3 can perform in most southern UK lighting conditions with no problem at all. It is quite useable at higher ISO numbers which is a huge change from earlier bridge type cameras when anything over ISO 400 was a no-no. My minimum setting on both the Mk 3 and Mk4 is 1600 and ISO3200 is quite acceptable. In the real world though so long as you set a maximum limit then Auto ISO produces very good images on an everyday basis.
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 15:50   #31
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Some of the hardcore photographers see DPreview Sony cybershop forum fix the aperture for the RX10iii at F4 with a min shutter speed of 1/250. I am trying this.

There are also a few sample of birds in flights and other bird pix taken with the RX10Iv coming through on the same forum.

Cheers
Mike
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 17:02   #32
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinHK View Post
Hi John

I bough the Sony RX10iii because I wanted to improve on the image quality I was getting with the Sony SX50HS, which has the reach and the smaller sensor, and I have been delighted that I did so.

Cheers
Mike
I do use my SX50 sometimes but I find it very frustrating after being used to a SLR with 10fps and a big buffer plus the slower autofocusing and poor low light ability. It's not just the quality of the images isn't as good - although it is very reasonable in good light - but more the fact that I miss many more shots.

@SteveBabbs
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 08:08   #33
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Question: Does anyone know what the shot buffer is in (i) Raw, and (ii) Raw + Jpeg ??

The specs state 249 shots for only the mid level Jpeg setting - Fine - 10MP, but don't say anything else. Thanks.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 18:28   #34
nikonmike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Du8UugLWJgNice bit of slow motion bird video.
Old Monday 30th October 2017, 09:23   #35
Alpha2
Alpha2

A nice bit of action video and what a feisty little bird the Greenfinch is!
Cheers, Dave
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 19:25   #36
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

It's out in the UK and getting very good reviews. It would seem it is by a long way the best bridge camera but also by a long way the most expensive. 1510 for a grey important. When I'm feeling less skint, it'll be very tempting.

@SteveBabbs
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:13   #37
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

DPReview ---- the verdict is in !!

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-...ot-dsc-rx10-iv

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 19:38   #38
Alpha2
Alpha2

Quote:
It's out in the UK and getting very good reviews. It would seem it is by a long way the best bridge camera but also by a long way the most expensive. 1510 for a grey important. When I'm feeling less skint, it'll be very tempting.
New models are always more expensive but if you are not concerned about lack of phase AF or weather sealing then a used Mk 3 model would be a great buy for you. There should be a number up for sale as they get traded for the Mk4. Identical lens and sensor with a different processor I believe. The Mk 3 is only over a year so not much mileage either.

I sold mine to LCE but try others .
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 19:43   #39
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

The improved focus is a big selling point. I'll stick with the SLR for now and buy one before the next trip I go on which involves a lot of mountain walking - which the next few don't - or when I'm feeling more flush.

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 18:18   #40
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Plenty of reviews around now. This is typical: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...10-iv-review/2

The general conclusion seems to be that it is, by some margin, the best bridge camera. Looking at images it does get rather noisy above ISO 800 but for those of us not using a f4 or above lens the fact that it is f4 rather than 5.6 at maximum zoom will make up for one stop of that. If I were to have my SLR gear pinched tomorrow, I'd be tempted to go for this instead.

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 22:14   #41
pbjosh

Given the reviews and the massive weight and size reduction from my 7d2 + 100-400mk2, I am planning on giving one a try. If it can do even close to as well with seabirds I will sell all my Canon gear and be blissful to be rid of the weight.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 16:25   #42
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Given the reviews and the massive weight and size reduction from my 7d2 + 100-400mk2, I am planning on giving one a try. If it can do even close to as well with seabirds I will sell all my Canon gear and be blissful to be rid of the weight.
I look forward to hearing how it compares to the same set up as I, and many other birders, have.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 18:14   #43
Neil G.

I often think that the future will be with high quality bridge cameras,they will render large slr's a thing of the past.
These are the ideal cameras,huge zoom range,fairly compact and in the future awesome image quality.
However,if you are critical about image quality,i'm afraid you will be disappointed.These 1"sensor bridge cameras do give amazing IQ,but you do need good conditions to extract their potential.
They still can't compete with a good slr and quality lens i'm afraid.......the best results still require the effort of carrying bulky equipment at the moment.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 18:37   #44
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I've long since given up hope of making any money out of photos so I can cope with an increase in noise. Although it doesn't look that big an increase if you're dropping from a 7D mark ii rather than a full frame. What I have struggled with when using a bridge camera (I have a rarely used Canon SX50) is the much higher chance of missing the shot. It sounds like the Sony is just as likely to get the shot as an SLR, with its quick autofocus, madly high fps and big buffer. Having said that, as I have a a couple of rainforest trips coming up soon, I may wait a bit or take the financial blow of having one of these as well as a SLR rather than instead.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 19:02   #45
Neil G.

Hi Steve,
The higher end bridge cameras are certainly quicker and they do give great results in the right conditions,so if you dont need the better quality that a good slr gives,the sony is a great proposition.
The other thing with this model is i believe you cant crop photos in the camera.This is not an issue for some but i wouldnt be without it.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 22:12   #46
etudiant

Quote:
I've long since given up hope of making any money out of photos so I can cope with an increase in noise. Although it doesn't look that big an increase if you're dropping from a 7D mark ii rather than a full frame. What I have struggled with when using a bridge camera (I have a rarely used Canon SX50) is the much higher chance of missing the shot. It sounds like the Sony is just as likely to get the shot as an SLR, with its quick autofocus, madly high fps and big buffer. Having said that, as I have a a couple of rainforest trips coming up soon, I may wait a bit or take the financial blow of having one of these as well as a SLR rather than instead.
The new Sony is weather sealed, which should be a plus in the rainforest.

I'm pretty sure that one of the reviews mentioned a super zoom feature at reduced resolution, so there are interesting operating quirks to this model.
In general, Sony cameras have somewhat distinctive operating menus, so it is advisable to spend some time getting familiar with them beforehand, in order to get the best out of them in the field.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th December 2017, 16:43   #47
Zackiedawg

The RX10 series all allow in-body crop shooting modes - this might be different to post-processing cropping in camera, which they won't do -but you can shoot in various crop modes. Smart teleconverter mode allows a 1.4x or 2x crop to be added to the existing zoom range with reduced resolution modes chosen, and clear-image-zoom allows a similar crop mode to be used and then uses camera software to up-res back to the original resolution of 20mp.
A buddy I shoot with regularly, who has a bunch of cameras, also picked up one of the RX10IVs...the shots have been very impressive, especially the focus tracking on BIFs and moving subjects which is quite close in performance to the mirrorless A6300/6500, and A7RIII. The APS-C sensor cameras are probably a bit better, but the extra depth of field of the 1" sensor allows for a little more leeway while still achieving good focus on the subject. He has been enjoying the RX10IV alongside his A7RII and A7RIII, A6300, and A99II.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 15:41   #48
Steve Gantlett

I'm itching to know if this great-sounding 1Kg RX10IV could really be a near-match for a birder currently using a 2.8Kg Canon 7Dii + 100-400ii. The specifications and non-birder reviews suggest that it really could be. Have any birders with this Canon set-up taken the plunge and tried it yet?
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 15:46   #49
pbjosh

Steve, I am placing my order in a day or two for delivery on the 6th to coincide with my being back in California. I will be very keen to see how it does, I'm really not fussed about the loss of sensor size if the autofocus performance is as good as promised! The real test, for me, will be focusing in dark understory in tropical forest, and even more than that, focusing on seabirds from rocking boats... we will see.
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 18:05   #50
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Steve, I am placing my order in a day or two for delivery on the 6th to coincide with my being back in California. I will be very keen to see how it does, I'm really not fussed about the loss of sensor size if the autofocus performance is as good as promised! The real test, for me, will be focusing in dark understory in tropical forest, and even more than that, focusing on seabirds from rocking boats... we will see.
Really looking forward to hearing a comparison. I'm hoping my days lugging around nearly 3kg of camera gear are numbered.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: