Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 22:19   #1
Mark9473
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 51N 4E
Posts: 184
So, which 10x Trinovid?

Trinovid 10x40 : 110m/1000m ; 600g ; splash resistant ; 1180-1350.
Trinovid HD 10x42 : 113m/1000m ; 720g ; waterproof ; 960.

Apart from the cool look of the new Trinovid that one may like for nostalgic reasons, doesn't the HD have a lot going for it if one doesn't need the very lightest weight?
Mark9473 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 22:25   #2
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9473 View Post
Trinovid 10x40 : 110m/1000m ; 600g ; splash resistant ; € 1180-1350.
Trinovid HD 10x42 : 113m/1000m ; 720g ; waterproof ; € 960.

Apart from the cool look of the new Trinovid that one may like for nostalgic reasons, doesn't the HD have a lot going for it if one doesn't need the very lightest weight?
The FOV on the HD 10x is pretty good and it's cheaper. I say go for the HD or you could wait until some initial user reviews come in for the new Trinovid...if you're not in a rush.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 23:02   #3
Mark9473
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 51N 4E
Posts: 184
Thanks; I'm in no rush at all. Sometime in the next 8 months or so will be fine.

Looking a bit more at the specs in the meantime, the 4m close focus on the new model looks like it could be a deal breaker. It would need to be a pretty miraculous instrument to offset that.
Mark9473 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 23:30   #4
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9473 View Post
Thanks; I'm in no rush at all. Sometime in the next 8 months or so will be fine.

Looking a bit more at the specs in the meantime, the 4m close focus on the new model looks like it could be a deal breaker. It would need to be a pretty miraculous instrument to offset that.
Now you're thinking. Remember you're buying an optical device, not a really nice piece of luggage! ;-)

Aesthetics on binoculars is a fun aspect to appreciate, but it should be more about quality of view and utility, imho. But I do admit that if Nikon released an 8 x30 EII II with enough eye relief for me, I'd probably buy one, even if it isn't waterproof. ;-)

Bill
wdc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 02:51   #5
handwerk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: N.E . Mn./Mt
Posts: 12
I'd go with the non HD model, I bought them for my sons and they were very impressive.
handwerk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 08:06   #6
Mark9473
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 51N 4E
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwerk View Post
I'd go with the non HD model, I bought them for my sons and they were very impressive.
Thanks; could you share a bit more about what is so impressive about them? Was it the 10x40 you bought?
Mark9473 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 12:29   #7
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwerk View Post
I'd go with the non HD model, I bought them for my sons and they were very impressive.
Are you referrring to the Trinovid that came before the HD model?
This was available from around 2011-2015.
The new "retro" Trinovid was just announced and I don't think there
are any stores with stock yet.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 11:29   #8
handwerk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: N.E . Mn./Mt
Posts: 12
The ones I bought my sons where the last model before the HD's. I like the diopter placement/operation better and the build quality seems right up there with ultravids I have owned in the past. When comparing the view they equaled my geovid HD-R's and seemed right on the heels of my swaro SV's, best of all I bought them from cameraland when they were closing them out and I think I paid $879 for them, a lot of bino for the money.
handwerk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 03:41   #9
chill6x6
Registered User
 
chill6x6's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwerk View Post
The ones I bought my sons where the last model before the HD's. I like the diopter placement/operation better and the build quality seems right up there with ultravids I have owned in the past. When comparing the view they equaled my geovid HD-R's and seemed right on the heels of my swaro SV's, best of all I bought them from cameraland when they were closing them out and I think I paid $879 for them, a lot of bino for the money.
I agree! Really a nice binocular!

Trinovid HD on LEFT, previous Trinovid on the RIGHT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	641913  
__________________
Chuck
chill6x6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th October 2017, 20:01   #10
demiurge
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ukraine
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Trinovid HD on LEFT
Is this pair 8x or 10x?

Could you add a few words about it, please?
Especially I'm interesting about on-axis resolution/sharpness, contrast, CA, glare controls... Are there problems with central hinge tension or dioptre adjuster loosening?

Thanks!

Last edited by demiurge : Saturday 7th October 2017 at 00:04.
demiurge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 10:30   #11
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 205
The retro Trinovids are much expensive. Made in Portugal (like the 2012-15 Trinovids) rather than Japan like the HDs

https://www.photospecialist.co.uk/le...-leather-black

https://www.photospecialist.co.uk/le...0-rubber-black

https://www.photospecialist.co.uk/le...0-rubber-black

Last edited by maico : Thursday 26th October 2017 at 11:34.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 18:24   #12
tenex
Registered User
 
tenex's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwerk View Post
The ones I bought my sons where the last model before the HD's. I like the diopter placement/operation better and the build quality seems right up there with ultravids I have owned in the past. When comparing the view they equaled my geovid HD-R's and seemed right on the heels of my swaro SV's, best of all I bought them from cameraland when they were closing them out and I think I paid $879 for them, a lot of bino for the money.
I agree completely, this is an excellent glass that I was very sorry to see Leica stop making -- I expected it to develop into a whole mid-price line, like other top brands have. Just slightly inferior to the UV in specs (FOV, close focus). I love mine. But it could be hard to find one today, given those fire-sale prices. (I don't care for the HD, although it does deliver value for money.)

I don't undestand why Leica can't decide what a Trinovid is today, and keeps doing random 40mm models only. It's even hard to know which one is talking about. This one was the "non-HD Trinovid" until now with the introduction of another, or maybe the "2015 Trinovid" since it was made for only about a year (contrary to an earlier remark). Or the "original new Trinovid"?

Last edited by tenex : Thursday 9th November 2017 at 18:27.
tenex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 23:04   #13
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,371
Two or three years ago at the Winter Wings festival, Leica was there with a pretty large display. I spent a fair bit of time with the Trinovids handwerk references and the Ultravid. My immediate reaction to the two binoculars was that the Trinovid was the superior binocular. I kept coming back to look at various times and had a few long chats with the Leica rep at the booth. I think the reason I preferred the Trinovid was purely ergonomic. One thing that has always held me back from the Ultravid was the fact that they do not offer enough eye cup extension for me. The Trinovid had no such issue. At the end of the time I had I'd have to say the Ultravid might have been a tiny (did I say tiny?) bit better image, maybe a touch brighter in centerfield apparent resolution.

Over the course of my time with binoculars I have had but two or three WOW moments. The first was when I was a student in the late 60's-early 70's with the Leitz Trinovid 7x35. That was kind of a double whammy. Wow these things are really neat, a combination of a really nice size and the optics I thought were really great way back then. The second whammy was finding out what they cost. Beyond my college student budget. The next was a Leica Trinovid 8x32 in 1992 or 93, that was a pure WOW these things are good. So I guess in my heart of hearts I have always looked toward Leica and to this day the 2011-15 Trinovid or the HD are on my list. So is the new 7x35 revamped original Trinovid. I hope Leica will be at the show this year.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th November 2017, 00:06   #14
NDhunter
Registered User
 
NDhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9473 View Post
Trinovid 10x40 : 110m/1000m ; 600g ; splash resistant ; 1180-1350.
Trinovid HD 10x42 : 113m/1000m ; 720g ; waterproof ; 960.

Apart from the cool look of the new Trinovid that one may like for nostalgic reasons, doesn't the HD have a lot going for it if one doesn't need the very lightest weight?
Mark:

This is an interesting thread, and it brings up several models of the Trinovid,
and they are mentioned.
The new 10x40 retro model is not out yet, so we have to wait a bit to see
how it is.
I have a nice example of the late Leitz 10x40 Trinovid, and it is well regarded,
very nice optics.

I have also had both of the Leica versions of the latest Trinovids, the 2011-2015, and the new Trinovid HD. I also have the Leica 8x42 Ultravid HD, so
have examples of several of the ones talked about.

When comparing these, the older 2011 Trinovid is high quality, but is a
bit behind the HD, and the Ultravid HD, as far as brightness goes.

The current Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD is very good, and would compare well
to the Zeiss Conquest HD, and the many newer midrange models out there.

There is a nice thread, you could look back at, last post on the Leica subforum,
from 3-14-17, for more on these.

If I were you I would wait a while before deciding on which one to get.

Jerry
NDhunter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 04:08   #15
adhoc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anon.
Posts: 229
Could anyone please explain/offer a guess, thanks.
Why is the new "retro" Trinovid much higher priced than the Trinovid "HD"?
At a leading US online retailer (rounded up by $1)
"Retro" (Rubber armor. Leather, "Silverline" more pricey)
- 10x40 $1500
- 08x40 $1450
- 07x35 $1350
Trinovid HD
- 10x42 $1000
- 08x42 $0950.
PS. The idea behind the question is:
Can it be expected to be optically better in some way/s
(costlier due to lens system/lens material/precision in manufacture)?

Last edited by adhoc : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 02:54. Reason: PS.
adhoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 16:38   #16
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
I agree completely, this is an excellent glass that I was very sorry to see Leica stop making -- I expected it to develop into a whole mid-price line, like other top brands have. Just slightly inferior to the UV in specs (FOV, close focus). I love mine. But it could be hard to find one today, given those fire-sale prices. (I don't care for the HD, although it does deliver value for money.)

I don't undestand why Leica can't decide what a Trinovid is today, and keeps doing random 40mm models only. It's even hard to know which one is talking about. This one was the "non-HD Trinovid" until now with the introduction of another, or maybe the "2015 Trinovid" since it was made for only about a year (contrary to an earlier remark). Or the "original new Trinovid"?
I've got a 2015 Trinovid 10x42. They were on the market for almost 4 years. Made in Leica's Portugal plant with traditional low dispersion glass types. As a consequence of that it's not the brightest in low light and CA is quite easy to find. Feels very robust build wise which has always been a Trinovid strong point in the past.

Spec. sheet pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leica-trinovid-10x42--897.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	645895  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trinovid+42_e_2.pdf (61.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by maico : Friday 10th November 2017 at 16:46.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 03:00   #17
tenex
Registered User
 
tenex's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I spent a fair bit of time with the Trinovids handwerk references and the Ultravid. My immediate reaction to the two binoculars was that the Trinovid was the superior binocular. I kept coming back to look at various times and had a few long chats with the Leica rep at the booth. I think the reason I preferred the Trinovid was purely ergonomic. One thing that has always held me back from the Ultravid was the fact that they do not offer enough eye cup extension for me. The Trinovid had no such issue.
I had exactly the same issue with 42mm Ultravids, and see it on ever more binos lately: way too high eye relief and the eye cups don't compensate. With this Trinovid I can just get by, but I have to max out the cup, pulling it out past the last click stop -- any further would remove it. Otherwise I'd have to hold it away from my face. I honestly don't think that making binos a little easier for eyeglass wearers (who won't take them off) is worth making them impossible for the rest of us to use.

The other thing I really like about this previous Trinovid is that it seems to me to have a somewhat flatter field, definitely a larger sweet spot than the Ultravid. Not as flat as Swarovski but a compromise that doesn't make panning too odd. That suits me, and I thought other manufacturerers might go in that direction also but gather Leica decided not to after all.

I'm noticing different descriptions of when this glass was made... Some say "2011-15 Trinovid", others just "2015", which is when I first saw it and got mine, thinking it was new and excited about that, and surprised to see it discontinued the following year. Had it really been made since 2011, and I just wasn't looking yet?
tenex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 14:05   #18
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Could anyone please explain/offer a guess, thanks.
Why is the new "retro" Trinovid much higher priced than the Trinovid "HD"?
At a leading US online retailer (rounded up by $1)
"Retro" (Rubber armor. Leather, "Silverline" more pricey)
- 10x40 $1500
- 08x40 $1450
- 07x35 $1350
Trinovid HD
- 10x42 $1000
- 08x42 $0950.
PS. The idea behind the question is:
Can it be expected to be optically better in some way/s
(costlier due to lens system/lens material/precision in manufacture)?

I will "offer a guess" that Leica must have incurred new costs involved in setting up and re-manufacturing the Uppendahl prisms and bodies for their new "retro" Trinovid binoculars.

Leica would not have had these kinds costs to recover when they made their Trinovid HD binoculars which probably use the same Schmidt/Pechan prisms as the Ultravids and have bodies not unlike the Ultravids.

Whether or not they will be optically better in some ways than the Ultravids remains to be seen. The 7x35 version likely will be using more costly wide field eye pieces. And we can't forget that the new 8X and 10X retros have 40mm objectives which are now regarded as new and unique as opposed to the 42mm objectives used on the Trinovid HDs which are today's standard for the industry.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 14:19.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 04:37   #19
adhoc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anon.
Posts: 229
Thanks Bob. I do not know how much these are like the old (i.e. original of retro)) Trinovids. I wonder whether some part/s of the body, some lenses/compound lenses/lens assemblies, are identical hence the old machinery might possibly be re-used. Pl. excuse my ignorance in both matters. (BTW, it seems that in your last paragraph Ultravids is a typo for Trinovids?)
adhoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 04:51   #20
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Thanks Bob. I do not know how much these are like the old (i.e. original of retro)) Trinovids. I wonder whether some part/s of the body, some lenses/compound lenses/lens assemblies, are identical hence the old machinery might possibly be re-used. Pl. excuse my ignorance in both matters. (BTW, it seems that in your last paragraph Ultravids is a typo for Trinovids?)
Adhoc,

I think that the Retro Trinovids should be better than the Trinovid HDs but I was questioning whether they would be better "in some ways" than the Ultravids.

Having two completely different binoculars named Trinovids is pretty confusing!

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 05:48   #21
adhoc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anon.
Posts: 229
Bob I'd be surprised--and pleased! However pl. see post #19 (yesterday) in this other thread about the new Retro Trinovid (in 7x35). That may be the first actual report in this forum on these mystical instruments?
adhoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:33   #22
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
The 7x35 version likely will be using more costly wide field eye pieces.
I doubt that. The old 7x35 had exactly the same field of view.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:44   #23
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
I think that the Retro Trinovids should be better than the Trinovid HDs but I was questioning whether they would be better "in some ways" than the Ultravids.
I'm not sure they even *need* to be better than the Trinovid HDs. I think their main selling points will be size, weight and shape, and, unless Leica made a terrible mistake, the quality of the focuser. The "classic" Trinovid was at the time one of the lightest, smallest and most elegant roofs on the market, and the focuser was smooth, very precise and held up for decades without any problems whatsoever.

I fooled around with one of those old Trinovids just last weekend, a 10x40 my mother used as her only binocular for something like 15 years in all kinds of weather, until she retired it in favour of the Leica 8x32 BA. That old Trinovid, made in 1981, is still perfectly collimated with no dirt or dust inside, and the focuser is, well, just what it was like when she got it as a present from my late father.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 20:09   #24
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post

I'm noticing different descriptions of when this glass was made... Some say "2011-15 Trinovid", others just "2015", which is when I first saw it and got mine, thinking it was new and excited about that, and surprised to see it discontinued the following year. Had it really been made since 2011, and I just wasn't looking yet?
March 2012 according to the spec sheet, a 4 year production run.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 20:46   #25
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
I doubt that. The old 7x35 had exactly the same field of view.

Hermann
Yes, I know.

What I meant is that wide field eyepieces cost more than regular eyepieces did at that time and they still do.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD John M Robinson Leica 89 Tuesday 14th March 2017 22:47
Trinovid HD Kevin Wade Leica 2 Monday 14th December 2015 19:19
My NEW Trinovid BN xu42 Leica 10 Monday 5th March 2012 12:09
New Trinovid? glennstevens Leica 8 Wednesday 25th January 2012 02:46
trinovid black lark Leica 1 Saturday 12th April 2008 01:39

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17659998 seconds with 37 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:17.