Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 04:15   #3276
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Adhoc has tipped me off that Bushnell M series 8x42 are $241 from Optics Planet ..... gotta be a bargain yes?
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....ml%3f_iv_amp=1

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 04:55   #3277
adhoc

You type in the coupon code "JINGLE" at checkout and get 10% off = $216.89!
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 05:32   #3278
chill6x6

If y'all think THAT'S a good price... go to "that auction site" and search for
bushnell 8x42 legend m-series. Same binocular?

I've been "watching" it for months. I've thought about it for quite a while. I just don't NEED another binocular! SERIOUSLY this time!

Y'all have at it! Rogers Sporting Goods have been a good dealer for me. You can thank me later!

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 08:34   #3279
Synaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Adhoc has tipped me off that Bushnell M series 8x42 are $241 from Optics Planet ..... gotta be a bargain yes?
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....ml%3f_iv_amp=1

Chosun
Price looks very good. Heard some rumors about about slop in focus wheel though and when it turns, it does so in a slow stiff manner. I do not have first hand experience with them though..
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 09:28   #3280
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post

I've been "watching" it for months. I've thought about it for quite a while. I just don't NEED another binocular! SERIOUSLY this time!

Y'all have at it! Rogers Sporting Goods have been a good dealer for me. You can thank me later!
You could buy two of these from Rodgers for the price I see on another site.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 10:05   #3281
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaps View Post
Price looks very good. Heard some rumors about about slop in focus wheel though and when it turns, it does so in a slow stiff manner. I do not have first hand experience with them though..
Yes there is a tiny bit of backlash in the focus mechanism, but less than in my Zen ED3. The Bushie's focus wheel is a bit smaller, and not metal, sorry - I didn't pay attention to the number of turns required. The focus feel is not Nikon or Zeiss light, but I didn't think it was in any way stiff in the 17C temperatures I tried them in. The focus on my Swift Audubon - now that rated as stiff.

NB. There will be some unit to unit variability at this price point in all properties. I think my Zen has upper limit worst backlash, but the focus tension is quite light.

As Chuck mentioned - even cheaper from Rodger's ...... $199.99
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...inoculars.html

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 12:40   #3282
PhilR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaps View Post
The one that I used had a tremendous amount of slop in the focus wheel. So much so that I immediately sent it back. Therefore, I wouldn't exactly call it a rumor, as others have seen this issue too.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 13:20   #3283
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Yes there is a tiny bit of backlash in the focus mechanism, but less than in my Zen ED3. The Bushie's focus wheel is a bit smaller, and not metal, sorry - I didn't pay attention to the number of turns required. The focus feel is not Nikon or Zeiss light, but I didn't think it was in any way stiff in the 17C temperatures I tried them in. The focus on my Swift Audubon - now that rated as stiff.

NB. There will be some unit to unit variability at this price point in all properties. I think my Zen has upper limit worst backlash, but the focus tension is quite light.

As Chuck mentioned - even cheaper from Rodger's ...... $199.99
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...inoculars.html

Chosun
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
The one that I used had a tremendous amount of slop in the focus wheel. So much so that I immediately sent it back. Therefore, I wouldn't exactly call it a rumor, as others have seen this issue too.
Well that rules me out of purchasing that binocular FOREVER.

That "auction site" has it for like $169.95, still from Rogers.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 17:15   #3284
BruceH

Bushnell Legend M 8X42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post

Darn you Chuck! LOL Looks like I am not cured of the sickness Phil R. commented on. I am in for one 8X42 Legend M from Rogers eBay listing now at $161.99.

I bought the 10X42 M during the Amazon 1 day sale a couple of months ago and it is a very nice model. Mine has near zero free play in the focus mechanism. I say near zero because only after careful checking I notice less than one degree of softer movement when first rotating. Even then, I do detect some focus change. Focus tension is equal in each direction and extremely smooth. Unlike CJ, I prefer the surface of the focus knob of the M over my ED3s. I have absolutely zero issues with the focus of my Legend M 10X. Being a China bin, there is always the chance that there is a lot a variation between units. We shall see how the 8X works out. How it will hold up over the long run is anyone's guess but the 10X is great right now and it is covered by Bushnell' lifetime warranty. It is not quite a Nikon EDG focus but it is much closer than most.

My primary reason for buying the 10X was the flat transmission curve. I like to use it as a reference in doing comparisons. It is probably the most color neutral binocular I have. I took it out this morning to look at some Mourning Doves in the back. It is really nice to see them up close as they are supposed to look. Hopefully the 8X will has a like curve. This line does show a little more pin cushion than a more expensive model and although the center view is more than adequate, is not exceptional as some of the considerably more expensive models. Mine is one of the best entry level quality binoculars I have come across. The under $200 price makes it a top choice assuming Bushnell has consistent quality.

Check out the thread by Lee for some good info on the Legend M.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342002

Here is the Allbinos review of the 10X42 with the transmission graph ......

https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?...tki&test_l=315

Chuck, if you feel like taking a China gamble, go for it. If you get a good one (and I think the odds are better as a Bushnell than say a Zen Ray), you will most likely find it superior to the Eagle Optics you bought recently. The $161 price is an incredible buy for what it provides, assuming consistent good quality.

Agree on Rogers. They provided great customer service to me a couple of years ago on a Zeiss UPS mangled shipment.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

Last edited by BruceH : Wednesday 8th November 2017 at 17:19. Reason: Typo fix

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 03:32   #3285
denco@comcast.n

The Euro HD 8x32 is quite a nice binocular especially for the sale price of $399.95. It really reminds of the Swarovski SV 8x32 except it has a smoother focuser and better flare control. Optically and quality wise they are very close. I just had the Nikon 8x42 MHG's and in my opinion these are superior optically and build quality wise and at 1/2 the price of the MHG's they were a great bargain. The eye cups are nice but a little smaller than an average binocular. You have to just rest them lightly on your eye sockets and try not to thrust them deeply into your eye sockets or you will get blackouts but the Nikon 8x30 EII is the same way only it has slightly bigger eyecups. I compared it to my Nikon 8x30 EII and I agree with Holger Merlitz's review except I thought the EII handled flare a little better than the Euro although both were very good so here is the link to his excellent comparison review between the two. The Euro HD 8x32 was Outdoor Life's Editor's Choice in 2014.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...cope-an#page-3

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 9th November 2017 at 23:09.
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 03:50   #3286
adhoc

Holger's comparison review was "Last modified: July 2010". Is that the Meopta/Cabelas 8x32 non-HD or HD version there?
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 12:05   #3287
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Darn you Chuck! LOL Looks like I am not cured of the sickness Phil R. commented on. I am in for one 8X42 Legend M from Rogers eBay listing now at $161.99.

I bought the 10X42 M during the Amazon 1 day sale a couple of months ago and it is a very nice model. Mine has near zero free play in the focus mechanism. I say near zero because only after careful checking I notice less than one degree of softer movement when first rotating. Even then, I do detect some focus change. Focus tension is equal in each direction and extremely smooth. Unlike CJ, I prefer the surface of the focus knob of the M over my ED3s. I have absolutely zero issues with the focus of my Legend M 10X. Being a China bin, there is always the chance that there is a lot a variation between units. We shall see how the 8X works out. How it will hold up over the long run is anyone's guess but the 10X is great right now and it is covered by Bushnell' lifetime warranty. It is not quite a Nikon EDG focus but it is much closer than most.

My primary reason for buying the 10X was the flat transmission curve. I like to use it as a reference in doing comparisons. It is probably the most color neutral binocular I have. I took it out this morning to look at some Mourning Doves in the back. It is really nice to see them up close as they are supposed to look. Hopefully the 8X will has a like curve. This line does show a little more pin cushion than a more expensive model and although the center view is more than adequate, is not exceptional as some of the considerably more expensive models. Mine is one of the best entry level quality binoculars I have come across. The under $200 price makes it a top choice assuming Bushnell has consistent quality.

Check out the thread by Lee for some good info on the Legend M.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342002

Here is the Allbinos review of the 10X42 with the transmission graph ......

https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?...tki&test_l=315

Chuck, if you feel like taking a China gamble, go for it. If you get a good one (and I think the odds are better as a Bushnell than say a Zen Ray), you will most likely find it superior to the Eagle Optics you bought recently. The $161 price is an incredible buy for what it provides, assuming consistent good quality.

Agree on Rogers. They provided great customer service to me a couple of years ago on a Zeiss UPS mangled shipment.
Considering Bushnell USA sells directly to the retail it can be sold for 161,00 dollar.
In our case, Bushnell USA delivers to Bushnell Europe, which delivers to the Dutch Bushnell rep, which delivers to me, makes my purchageprice (not kidding) 326,00 EURO'S for the exactly same bin. It's listed here for RRP 495,00 ex VAT.
Hard to explain to the Dutch customers

Jan
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 18:52   #3288
BruceH

Jan ...... Thanks for posting that, what an amazing difference in pricing.

If I understand, "ex VAT" means excluding the Value Added Tax of I assume to be 21%. That brings the out the door price up to 594 Euros or $692 USD to me if I were to buy it in Holland. I think that would take it off the Binocular Bargains list! C J said in another thread that the Legend M is going for $800 in Australia. Assuming that is $800 AUD, then that comes to $527 USD.

The $161.99 price on the Rogers eBay listing is a bargain especially compared to the overseas pricing. They were showing 76 sold when I ordered mine yesterday morning. As of late this morning, they show 83 sold and limited quantity available. History shows the first selling August 9th for $197.99, then the price dropping to $159.99 on August 25th. The price went up to the current $161.99 on Sept 13th.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-8x...4AAOSw1BlZVm2T

Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 19:08   #3289
jan van daalen

Quote:
Jan ...... Thanks for posting that, what an amazing difference in pricing.

If I understand, "ex VAT" means excluding the Value Added Tax of I assume to be 21%. That brings the out the door price up to 594 Euros or $692 USD to me if I were to buy it in Holland. I think that would take it off the Binocular Bargains list! C J said in another thread that the Legend M is going for $800 in Australia. Assuming that is $800 AUD, then that comes to $527 USD.

The $161.99 price on the Rogers eBay listing is a bargain especially compared to the overseas pricing. They were showing 76 sold when I ordered mine yesterday morning. As of late this morning, they show 83 sold and limited quantity available. History shows the first selling August 9th for $197.99, then the price dropping to $159.99 on August 25th. The price went up to the current $161.99 on Sept 13th.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-8x...4AAOSw1BlZVm2T
Hi Bruce,

That's correct. I assumed the $161,00 price is /was without VAT so I did the same.
Taking into consideration that the import tax is 11% and with transportation this bin will cost me less than 200,00 to get it here, I wonder what Bushnell USA thinks about the added value of Bushnell Europe and/or Bushnell Holland reps.
The future will be direct sales channels.

Jan
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 15:36   #3290
Binastro

A cheap flight to the U.S.A. to buy one and it would still cost less than in Holland.
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 15:42   #3291
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
A cheap flight to the U.S.A. to buy one and it would still cost less than in Holland.
Dutch treat
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 00:47   #3292
Common Raven

Cabela's Black Friday ad has leaked

https://www.bfads.net/stores/cabelas/ads/black-friday

Vortex Diamondback 10x42 $129
$50 off most Nikon Monarchs
10% off all Leica in-stock
Vortex scopes $200-$300 off
etc.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 01:23   #3293
denco@comcast.n

I was using those Euro HD's 8x32 from Cabella's that I got on sale for $399.95 and the IPD adjustment just loosened up to the point where you couldn't hold them without it moving. Never had that happen before on any binoculars. Sent them back to Cabela's. They obviously have some QA problems. A lot of excess grease was coming out of the focuser also which I have never experienced before either. Too bad they have good optics.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 02:09   #3294
wdc

Quote:
I have absolutely zero issues with the focus of my Legend M 10X. Being a China bin, there is always the chance that there is a lot a variation between units. We shall see how the 8X works out. How it will hold up over the long run is anyone's guess but the 10X is great right now and it is covered by Bushnell' lifetime warranty. It is not quite a Nikon EDG focus but it is much closer than most.
The $161 price is an incredible buy for what it provides, assuming consistent good quality.

Bruce, your experience with the 10x42 gives me some hope, and the price is admittedly hard to beat. I ordered one. It'll be here next week. Hopefully it won't immediately self-destruct the way Dennis' Cabelas Euro just did. First issue will be the eye relief. I am also interested to learn whether a larger binocular with 18mm E.R. will show me a wide FOV more often than the smaller sized bins seem willing to do, regardless of eye relief. I don't mean objective size, I mean physical size, which may have a direct correlation to focal length and eye piece design. After that some field work to see how it holds up and feels to carry and use for a few hours.

As a footnote, a few weeks ago I was able to try out a Zeiss 8x42 SF in a store, and was able to see the entire FOV, with a sharp edge, so I know it is possible to get a wide fov, with eye relief that works for me.

Research continues...

Bill
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 02:25   #3295
Nixterdemus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
Euro HD's 8x32 from Cabella's sale for $399.95 IPD adjustment just loosened up to the point where you couldn't hold them without it moving. lot of excess grease was coming out of the focuser
Get what you pay for eh Deno? I wondered if they were returns. One nevah knows.

I have the ultimate narrow fov arriving manyada; HG Minox 8.5x52 BR. EO asking price is considerably lower than OP. I understand that they are going out of business, but still it's quite the difference in price. I can see how that inventory wouldn't be a quick mover in birding circles.

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 02:42   #3296
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Bruce, your experience with the 10x42 gives me some hope, and the price is admittedly hard to beat. I ordered one. It'll be here next week. Hopefully it won't immediately self-destruct the way Dennis' Cabelas Euro just did. First issue will be the eye relief. I am also interested to learn whether a larger binocular with 18mm E.R. will show me a wide FOV more often than the smaller sized bins seem willing to do, regardless of eye relief. I don't mean objective size, I mean physical size, which may have a direct correlation to focal length and eye piece design. After that some field work to see how it holds up and feels to carry and use for a few hours.

As a footnote, a few weeks ago I was able to try out a Zeiss 8x42 SF in a store, and was able to see the entire FOV, with a sharp edge, so I know it is possible to get a wide fov, with eye relief that works for me.

Research continues...

Bill
UPS ground tracking says mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (Saturday) 11/11/2017. I did not think UPS delivered on Saturdays unless this is a holiday season change. Tracking only shows a UPS style number, no Post Office number so it looks to be strictly UPS. The Post Office will be closed anyway for Veterans Day. I will let you know how the focus mechanism checks out once I get it. Hopefully our luck is better than what Dennis had!

I have read some posts where folks had to extend the eye cup on the SF one position with eye glasses to keep from getting black outs so I can see why you had good success with it.

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 04:23   #3297
denco@comcast.n

"Get what you pay for eh Deno? I wondered if they were returns. One nevah knows."

I don't think so but like you say one never knows. The IPD was tight at first but then suddenly it just loosened up. I don't want an exchange. I wouldn't trust them in the long haul now.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 04:41   #3298
denco@comcast.n

Ok, the Euro's are on their way back to Cabela's. I hope they get grease on their hands when they inspect them. I am getting on the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M bandwagon. I ordered one from Ebay. Let's see if they are any better than the Euro.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 04:45.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 10:09   #3299
mooreorless

I bought a Nikon 8x42 Aculon off of Midway for $25.01 , price was $22.47 I had to add something to make it $25 and free shipping, best $25 I ever spent. I would of bought the 10x25 but non left I wonder why.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 12:27   #3300
Nixterdemus

Good luck w/Bushnell 8x42 Legend M.

"I would of bought the 10x25 but non left I wonder why"

I bought none

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: