Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 01:36   #3326
Nixterdemus

I'm glad I bought none so youse could enjoy ...

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 16:35   #3327
BruceH

Vortex Diamondback 10X42 $149.99

Optics Planet has the new generation Vortex Daimondback 10X42 on special for $149.99. The notice said limited time but there was no end date shown. Normal street price is around $229.

Use code 2DAYAIR at checkout for free 2 day express shipping or add code WORK7 for an additional 5% off giving a total of $142.49.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...642f68525a4243

Note: If you get the VIGLINK web page, scroll part way down and then click on the blue rectangular button that links to the Optics Planet web page.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

Last edited by BruceH : Tuesday 14th November 2017 at 16:41. Reason: Added WORK7 code and VIGLINK comment.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 16:54   #3328
Binastro

Hi summer-blue.

Seems we think alike.

Any advance on the 30 6x18 yellow waterproof roof binoculars that I bought for £7.50 each.
10 were very good. 10 useful, ten duds but good monoculars if cut in half.

One has been used by a private pilot for ten years or so spotting ground features.
Another my niece uses.
Another my astronomer friend's wife uses for general nature study etc.
Another is now in Australia following cricket matches instead of the Canon 8x25 IS used last year. Very compact and surprisingly good in good daylight.
I also use one.

1000s of these must have been sold with no quality control, but a good one is a very useful pocket binocular.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 22:01   #3329
Nixterdemus

Deals, gone on the morrow, yet light of morn reveals another; held close to the vest tattered notes folded, bound strain to take flight of fancy for first light of last bin ...

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:31   #3330
RioTuitoBirder
parrotstowarblers.weebly. com

The Bushnell Legend M 8x42s have arrived! I've not tested them in the field yet but so far around the home they seem to be an improvement on the Nikon Aculon 8x42. Brighter, sharper image, slightly more magnification and the focus dial is not too tight or loose. Looking forward to taking them out on Saturday.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:42   #3331
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioTuitoBirder View Post
The Bushnell Legend M 8x42s have arrived! I've not tested them in the field yet but so far around the home they seem to be an improvement on the Nikon Aculon 8x42. Brighter, sharper image, slightly more magnification and the focus dial is not too tight or loose. Looking forward to taking them out on Saturday.
Thanks, for the feedback. My Bushnell Legend M 8x42's should arrive here any minute from UPS. I will let you know what I think.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:52   #3332
wdc

Quote:
More magnification? or perhaps a difference in field of view? Both are specced at 8x power, so if you're seeing a noticeable difference in image size, you might want to ponder that. Glad they seem to be in good working order. I will probably get mine sometime this afternoon.

-Bill
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 18:16   #3333
RioTuitoBirder

I was wondering about that. Objects do appear to be slightly closer when focused. I noticed specs recorded a slightly narrower fov than the Monarch 3. Of course, it was night-time inside the house so everything was already quite close. If there's any light at the end of my workday (iffy in our cloudy/rainy part of the world) I will stop to look at the Swans in the farm-fields or find some raptors to test out.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 18:20   #3334
dries1

I am curious about the new 8X42 M Bushnell, perhaps it will satisfy the 8X42 I am looking for. However, as with all mail order instruments mid to low cost, I wonder about the eye cups and central focusing not just out of the box but through long term use. I am still hoping I can try a Monarch HG8X42 in the store and if they have the model in surplus boxed I can check the ones I am actually purchasing.
I wonder what type of materials are used for bushings, spacers, etc. in this Bushnell model. Nikon seems to put together a good central focus meant for long term use and to last.

In a way, all my binos which date back to the 60s, (I actually have a kern 6X24 model from 54) have been proven over time so I have kept them. Today, to make some of these would cost well over what they are worth today. In the end you get what you pay for, well most of the time.

Andy W.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 19:48   #3335
bluespiderweb

Porro vs roof percieved object size

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
More magnification? or perhaps a difference in field of view? Both are specced at 8x power, so if you're seeing a noticeable difference in image size, you might want to ponder that. Glad they seem to be in good working order. I will probably get mine sometime this afternoon.

-Bill
If you are comparing Porro Aculons vs roof binoculars of the same magnification, then you might want to read about this percieved difference in object size comparing one to the other here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28391

Ah, you know?
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 20:28   #3336
RioTuitoBirder

Interesting discussion. Thanks!
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:50   #3337
BruceH

Quote:
The Bushnell Legend M 8x42s have arrived! I've not tested them in the field yet but so far around the home they seem to be an improvement on the Nikon Aculon 8x42. Brighter, sharper image, slightly more magnification and the focus dial is not too tight or loose. ..........
I take it the focus mechanism does not have any noticeable free play when changing rotation direction?

So far it looks like we are all on a roll! Dennis, don't let us down.

I think Barry is right on about what you are seeing in regards to magnification. Porros have a smaller image scale with the wider spread between the objectives as compared to the same power in a roof. The image appears smaller and the depth of field looks more spread out. I like a roof when interested in an up close detailed look and the Porro for what I think is a more natural look. It is interesting how that works out even though I do not truly understand how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I am curious about the new 8X42 M Bushnell, perhaps it will satisfy the 8X42 I am looking for. However, as with all mail order instruments mid to low cost, I wonder about the eye cups and central focusing not just out of the box but through long term use. I.......I wonder what type of materials are used for bushings, spacers, etc. in this Bushnell model. ............Andy W.
I have done a flashlight exam of both the Legend M and what looks to me to be a near clone Zen Ray ED3. The construction looks to be the same. C J has been using her ED3 for some years now in the outback and as far as I know she has not reported any issues. I suspect the Legend M should hold up reasonably well.

Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 22:09   #3338
RioTuitoBirder

There is no free play in the focusing mechanism of the Legend M I received.
For some reason I am not being allowed the option to include a quote from the previous message which I am answering. I'm sorry if that confuses anyone.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 22:50   #3339
wdc

Just unpacked my 8x42 Bushnell Legend M's..

Unfortunately the eye relief doesn't work for me with glasses on. In a direct comparison, the Nikon MHG's accommodate me better, even if they aren't as accommodating as I wish they were. Focuser is ok, just a bit stiff. IPD also seems marginally too wide, even if the spec suggests otherwise. ( I get a slight oval with the Bushnell, and a circle with the Nikon at the inner limit.)

Optics seem fine, and even the extra weight may actually improve stability a bit. Just because they don't fit me, doesn't mean they won't work well for others.

With some of these these ongoing purchases, I've been looking for a larger FOV that works for my eyes. I may have to aim upstream a bit.

Bill
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 23:06   #3340
RioTuitoBirder

WDC: Sorry to hear those don't work out for you. I've heard a lot of mention of eye relief here but I wear glasses and so far I have not encountered a binocular that doesn't work with them. I am extremely far-sighted if that makes a difference.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 23:47   #3341
Jack Speer

Quote:
WDC: Sorry to hear those don't work out for you. I've heard a lot of mention of eye relief here but I wear glasses and so far I have not encountered a binocular that doesn't work with them. I am extremely far-sighted if that makes a difference.
Yes, eye relief is a big issue. It has to do with your facial features and the frame of the glasses. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if a binocular will work you until you try them. This goes for both glasses and non glasses wearers. You can get an idea from the eye relief spec and anecdotes from others, but these only get you so far.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 00:55   #3342
denco@comcast.n

I just received my Bushnell Legend 8x42 M's. The focus is perfect and there is no grease oozing out like the Euro HD's. No free play and not too tight. In fact better than a Swarovski. Eye relief works good for me without glasses and the Bushnell's have impressive optics especially at their price point. The eye cups work smoothly without any slop and IPD tension feels about right. The rainguard and objective covers fit very well and the strap and case are fine. If these are a clone of the Zenray ED3's I can see why CJ likes them. I compared them to my Nikon 8x30 EII's and they held up very well and in fact in some ways like contrast they are a little better. They are very sharp on-axis and they control CA very well and are quite resistant to glare in fact a little better than the EII's because I tried them both at sundown. At $160.00 these are quite a bargain and after just having the Nikon 8x42 MHG's I can't see that the MHG's are worth 5x more money. I am going to Mexico next week so I will throw these into my carry-on and I won't have to worry about them too much at $160.00. Hopefully they won't self destruct like Cabela's Euro HD.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 16th November 2017 at 04:39.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 07:59   #3343
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
I just received my Bushnell Legend 8x42 M's. The focus is perfect and there is no grease oozing out like the Euro HD's. No free play and not too tight. In fact better than a Swarovski. ..........
That is good to hear. Thanks for the report.

Quote:
........ If these are a clone of the Zenray ED3's I can see why CJ likes them. I compared them to my Nikon 8x30 EII's and they held up very well and in fact in some ways like contrast they are a little better. ........
I consider them a "revised" clone of the Zen Ray ED3. It appears the focus mechanism has the play removed, they look to be a little less sensitive to black outs possibly due to a slight lengthening of the eye cups and maybe some eye piece tweaking, and it has a near neutral color balance. The color balance may be influencing your contrast impression.

Quote:
At $160.00 these are quite a bargain and after just having the Nikon 8x42 MHG's I can't see that the MHG's are worth 5x more money. ........
Having both, I think the Nikon HG is easily the superior binocular but that is not to take away from all the good qualities of the Legend M. The HG wins out in center view, distortion, FOV and handling. If that is worth all the extra money is an individual decision.

Quote:
I am going to Mexico next week so I will throw these into my carry-on and I won't have to worry about them too much at $160.00. Hopefully they won't self destruct like Cabela's Euro HD.
Since the build is so similar to the ED3 and considering C J has had good luck with her ED3 over the years from what I can tell, it is unlikely that you will have a problem. Of course check it out well first!

Dennis .... The Allbinos transmission chart shows a relatively flat distribution for the 10X. It will be interesting to know if you find the 8X it to also have a very neutral color balance.

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 13:17   #3344
BruceH

10% Off Optics Planet Move It or Lose It

Optics Planet currently has a 10% off promotion going on right now for purchases $50 or more. Use discount code DEALS at checkout.

Sorry for the late notice but it ends tonight Nov. 16th, 11:59 PM CST. Never got a notice on this one.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/g-spcema-10off1117.html

If the Viglink screen appears, scroll part way and click on the thin blue box that says continue to Optics Planet.

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 13:34   #3345
BruceH

GPO Binoculars 10% Off at Optics Planet

Looks like Optics Planet has GPO binoculars priced at 10% off the regular price. It is mentioned in the product banner but they do not show as a "sale".

The 10% off DEAL checkout code mentioned above works on the one I tested getting an additional disount.

Example:

GPO 8X42 ED
- Regular price $379.99
- Current selling price 10% off $ 341.99
- DEALS Discount Code Final Price $307.79 - Ends tonight

Free "Value Shipping"

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 15:33   #3346
ceasar

I received an e-mail from Maven ON 11-14-2017 offering: "15% OFF C-SERIES."

"Use code C-SERIES-SPECIAL-17"

It is good through 12-31-2017. There are also free custom options on all custom B and S Optics during the same period.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 15:44   #3347
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow Re: Bushnell M and Zen ED3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I consider them a "revised" clone of the Zen Ray ED3. It appears the focus mechanism has the play removed, they look to be a little less sensitive to black outs possibly due to a slight lengthening of the eye cups and maybe some eye piece tweaking, and it has a near neutral color balance. The color balance may be influencing your contrast impression.

Since the build is so similar to the ED3 and considering C J has had good luck with her ED3 over the years from what I can tell, it is unlikely that you will have a problem. Of course check it out well first!
Bruce and guys n gals,

Just a bit of quick feedback -

The Bushie M's are a different (though similarly proportioned body) to the Zen ED3's. I prefer the ergonomics of the Zens better (larger knurled metal, faster focus wheel, better proportioned, smoother bridge, and final production version minimal projection eyecups [modified at our request to give greater ER to glasses wearers which is appreciated] - which I have screwed all the way down anyway). In fact they are better than everything.

My ED3's are the only units I have direct experience with, but I know from speaking to Charles that there is unit to unit variability regarding focus backlash, tension, other mechanics and even optics. My unit is a doosey with upper level backlash tolerance, though the focus tension is nice and light. I will get to doing a reasonably precise measurement over the holidays, but the play is in the order of millimeters. The Bushie's have similar variability, though maybe generally a bit less - sounds like Dennis got a real good one. The Bushie I tried at the BirdFair also had some backlash though less than my unit.

I have to say when I first got my unit that the backlash used to annoy the absolute sh*tt*r out of me - like reeeaaaalllyy annoy me. However given that I can rock and roll focus with two forefingers, and half a dozen years down the track, I do not notice it at ALL in use. Only discussions like this remind me to scrutinise and it's no worse than when I first got it. So much for Jerry's oft made assertions that only actual owners can give valid opinions - if anything I would say the opposite is true, and that a knowledgeable evaluator can pick up things straight away on a brief try that a long term owner glosses over ....

I'm now also numb to the outrageous pincushion outside of the central 3rd super sweet spot - I think it contributes to a 3-D-like view. A quick check of the Bushie showed identical distortion profiles, and CA cutting in at the same percentage of Fov. The Zen is truly excellent in the centre.

The colour balances seem the same - neutral (and bright) - I know the ED3 has 40 layer dielectric coating - not sure what the Bushie is packing ....

As far as reliability and longevity, my bins live in my car, and have become what GiGi coined as 'beater bins'. They have had several excursions under heavy braking where they went flying off the passenger seat and crashing into the footwell in heavy impacts

They are getting quite the patina on them now! Collimation (or conditional alignment) is as perfect now as the day I got them. Central hinge tension is perfect and with no slop. The rubber armour is harder and shinier than when new - perhaps they could do with a clean! :)

I note that they are gone from the Zen-Ray website now, so it looks like I have somewhat of a collectors item

I sure do hope Zen get the ED4's sorted, though they are listed at over $550USD. Out here at the BirdFair the Bushies were $800 AUD ($608USD), so those picking them up for ~$160-$200 USD are doing really well

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 17:40   #3348
RioTuitoBirder

Quote:
I just received my Bushnell Legend 8x42 M's. The focus is perfect and there is no grease oozing out like the Euro HD's. No free play and not too tight. In fact better than a Swarovski. Eye relief works good for me without glasses and the Bushnell's have impressive optics especially at their price point. The eye cups work smoothly without any slop and IPD tension feels about right. The rainguard and objective covers fit very well and the strap and case are fine. If these are a clone of the Zenray ED3's I can see why CJ likes them. I compared them to my Nikon 8x30 EII's and they held up very well and in fact in some ways like contrast they are a little better. They are very sharp on-axis and they control CA very well and are quite resistant to glare in fact a little better than the EII's because I tried them both at sundown. At $160.00 these are quite a bargain and after just having the Nikon 8x42 MHG's I can't see that the MHG's are worth 5x more money. I am going to Mexico next week so I will throw these into my carry-on and I won't have to worry about them too much at $160.00. Hopefully they won't self destruct like Cabela's Euro HD.
I'm glad to hear such a positive review! I paid $213 for my Legend Ms and still think I got a great deal. Got mine for Mexico too. My fiancée will be using the Nikon Aculons when she feels like looking at birds. My bins have not been properly field tested as our weather is consistently dreary of late. I shall bow out of further discussion as I'm not all that technically savvy or particular. They'll do the trick. Thanks for all your input. Cheers!
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 18:09   #3349
denco@comcast.n

The Bushnell Legend M 8x42 has a very neutral color balance and that is part of what I like about it. It just shows that everybodies eyes are different but I thought the Bushnell's were sharper on-axis than the MHG's and they also controlled CA and glare better. The MHG's just didn't do anything for me and they showed more CA than most binoculars I have tried. The CA I saw on-axis could be why I don't think they are as sharp and they had considerable CA on the edges and I don't like CA. I just got this odd feeling from them like they were trying to be a Swarovision but weren't quite making it. I get more of a 3D view from the Bushnell's also and I prefer a full armour for protection instead of the half covering that the MHG's have. The MHG's just don't strike me as being $800.00 binoculars optically or quality wise. They seem a big step down in quality from the older Nikon LXL's to me. After all the hype with the introduction of the Nikon 8x42 MHG's I just expected more. To my eyes they were a big let down optically and quality wise.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Thursday 16th November 2017 at 22:52.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 19:06   #3350
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Bruce and guys n gals,

Just a bit of quick feedback -
Chosun
In order not to take this thread off track any more than I have, I copied C J's post to the Bushnell Legend M thread in the Bushnell sub forum and replied there.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....73#post3644173

That is a good place for some extended discussion on the Legend M and related clones.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: