• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (1 Viewer)

Richard, Redwings are on their way... Fielfares and waxwings we keep here for a while.

Thanks Wari, a big flock of Fieldfare turned up today (we have a few pairs resident but these must be from further away) and perched up in the trees with them a few handsome

84 Redwing

I suppose you couldn't spare me a Waxwing too..........................?

I have put out some more black oil sunflower seeds, hoping for some northern migrates to stop by for a snack. Sometimes we get Red-winged Crossbills, Redpolls and the like in the winter months. None of those have shown up so far. Just been having Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, House Finches, an occasional American Robin and many House Sparrows. Perhaps if we get some some colder weather and some snow we might get some of the migrates coming through.
Good Birding to all.

I have put out some more black oil sunflower seeds, hoping for some northern migrates to stop by for a snack. Sometimes we get Red-winged Crossbills, Redpolls and the like in the winter months. None of those have shown up so far. Just been having Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, House Finches, an occasional American Robin and many House Sparrows. Perhaps if we get some some colder weather and some snow we might get some of the migrates coming through.
Good Birding to all.

Good to see you back on here Larry, hope you get those Crossbills !

Thanks Wari, a big flock of Fieldfare turned up today (we have a few pairs resident but these must be from further away) and perched up in the trees with them a few handsome

84 Redwing

I suppose you couldn't spare me a Waxwing too..........................?

You're wellcome. :t: Now you can send me hmm... Lammergeier would be nice. 3:)

At last, they are here:

#60. Waxwing

Now I can send them to the south.

Also I saw yesterday three Pine Grosbeaks. But that was about 15 km from my home. Hopefully I can see lots of more of them at this winter. B :)

What? Is there somebody else who might be interested...?

A couple of species to add to the list from last week, one presumably missed in error earlier in the year:

38. Herring gull (surely not the first I've seen over the garden this year, but I don't appear to have listed it so far)
39. Oystercatcher

Not been keeping the 2017 garden list up-to-date on this thread, but worth an update this week as I have just added a new species to my life list for this garden:

40. Barn swallow (July)
41. Buzzard (July)
42. Greenfinch (September)
43. Tawny Owl (h/o)
44. Mistle Thrush
45. Tree Sparrow
46. Redwing
47. Cormorant - new for the garden

Presumably they're generally not keen on your elevation Brenda?

Hi Ken ,I didnt think of that but could be so though always have several great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits from end of october until about end march but first time a coal tit. Also been a first having a hawfinch in the garden , there are a male and female seeing them several times a day near the feeders , hope will stay the winter. Have about 60 birds in my garden every day. Lots house sparrows all year around. Saw a european griffon fly over here during the week, there are quite lot around always but I dont often see them myself.

Snap Brenda, we too have a couple of Hawfinches visiting at the moment and a little gang of 4 Yellowhammers. Last weekend’s snowfall produced the first Willow and Crested Tits to visit the feeders( they tend to stay in the forest) but we get a lot of Coal Tits here, very entertaining! Will add a photo of an odd(leucistic?) Goldfinch that has returned for its second winter.
As for Cormorants Lazza, Anything with webbed feet would be a Mega here, Goosander In breeding season perhaps.....

Hi Ken ,I didnt think of that but could be so though always have several great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits from end of october until about end march but first time a coal tit. Also been a first having a hawfinch in the garden , there are a male and female seeing them several times a day near the feeders , hope will stay the winter. Have about 60 birds in my garden every day. Lots house sparrows all year around. Saw a european griffon fly over here during the week, there are quite lot around always but I dont often see them myself.

Snap Brenda, we too have a couple of Hawfinches visiting at the moment and a little gang of 4 Yellowhammers. Last weekend’s snowfall produced the first Willow and Crested Tits to visit the feeders( they tend to stay in the forest) but we get a lot of Coal Tits here, very entertaining! Will add a photo of an odd(leucistic?) Goldfinch that has returned for its second winter.
As for Cormorants Lazza, Anything with webbed feet would be a Mega here, Goosander In breeding season perhaps.....

Lucky Buggers you two with Hawfinch in the garden! Although having had a number of flyovers and a couple of singles (distantly) perched up briefly, never had them during the Winter months. April (1), May (1), October (once with 3 birds) and several times in July....to have them regularly would be no.1 on my Xmas list. :-C

Gold Surprise!

Been quite awhile since I looked at the forum.

Reading BrendaA's post about Coal Tit first in her garden.

Everyday 3 to 4 Coal Tits visit my garden, particularly in the early morning. My neighbour, across the road from me tells me that Goldcrests frequent his garden. In the 35+ years of garden birdwatching I have never had Goldcrests in mine. Lots of others, including Sparrowhawk, Heron and once flushed a Snipe from my herbaceous bed.

The other day my wife called me and to my surprise there were two Goldcrests foraging in my espalier apple trees. A very definite garden first and is now on my birding list as a 'Gold' Star day.

Harold.

Sandy the Goldfinch

Continuing the 'gold' theme here's a photo of 'Sandy' the anaemic Goldfinch back for its second winter, I assume this is leucism? In a flock of 30 that are visiting this morning along with a record-breaking 9 Yellowhammers plus of course a handsome Hawfinch Ken!

Attachments

• Goldfinch leucism.jpg
    Goldfinch leucism.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 42
A few more

A few more seen and about time the Yellow-throated Toucans finally showed up not to mention the Lineated Woodpecker.

80. Eastern Wood Peewee
81. Lineated Woodpecker
82. Cattle Egret
84. Nashville Warbler
85. Yellow-throated Toucan
86. Masked Tityra, I'm surprised it took this long to see one.
87. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird. We were hoping we'd see one here, they are mostly a little higher up the mountain.

We might hit a hundred by December 31 but it'll be a tough slog from here on in.

I've been told we should really be seeing around 125 at this elevation but I think I'm starting to bump up against the limits of my own identification skills.

As mentioned once before ornamental plants in the garden slow things down as well. I'm not sure why gardeners like to plant exotics. Perhaps the challenge of getting a plant that doesn't like the local conditions in the first place to thrive.

The landlord said I could plant a few native fruiting species in my corner of the garden which I did. When he saw them he said “weeds'” I said “birds”

Bryan.

A few more seen and about time the Yellow-throated Toucans finally showed up not to mention the Lineated Woodpecker.

80. Eastern Wood Peewee
81. Lineated Woodpecker
82. Cattle Egret
84. Nashville Warbler
85. Yellow-throated Toucan
86. Masked Tityra, I'm surprised it took this long to see one.
87. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird. We were hoping we'd see one here, they are mostly a little higher up the mountain.

We might hit a hundred by December 31 but it'll be a tough slog from here on in.

I've been told we should really be seeing around 125 at this elevation but I think I'm starting to bump up against the limits of my own identification skills.

As mentioned once before ornamental plants in the garden slow things down as well. I'm not sure why gardeners like to plant exotics. Perhaps the challenge of getting a plant that doesn't like the local conditions in the first place to thrive.

The landlord said I could plant a few native fruiting species in my corner of the garden which I did. When he saw them he said “weeds'” I said “birds”

Bryan.

Well we share one species for the year Bryan, and mine to was a flyover grdn.tick, I think you might get it. ;) No chance of me hitting eighty let alone a hundred, I'm hoping for a cold snap...that potentially could get me a few more.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back