• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Also at the Moors Pool as per Dave J:

Whooper Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Snipe, 12 Curlew, 2 Little Egrets, 3 Shelduck, Wigeon, Gadwall, 13 Pochard, 4 Meadow Pipit, Coal Tit, Skylark, 5 Redpoll, 2 Siskin

Not much to add other than increases in - L.Egret 3, Coal Tit 2+, Skylark 3 plus 2 Goldcrests and m. & f. Blackcap

4th time lucky at new hide.....finally saw something.....Water Rail swam across and seconds before I was going to leave a Kingfisher popped onto near perch....click...click...click...gone....all of 10 secs.

Last edited:
An early 6.45am start at FLASHES. By 8am the rain had set in for the morning it felt colder than the 8 degrees that it was and low cloud rendered the transmitter masts invisible.
The gull roost has completely finished for the year with just 9 BHG and 2 LBBG present at first light. Duck numbers were poor but a few teal arrived during the morning with majority feeding in the now wet meadow. The 3 shelduck thst eere on the Fladhes at first light moved to the Moors shortly afterwards. As the rain intensified the snipe came out of hiding and fed on the 'spit' and the new island in the NE corner of 1st Flash. Just a small amount of vis mig involving mipits chaffinch and Greenfinch. However, more interesting was the constant flow of south moving BHG flying in V formation mostly. These birds had probably roosted at Bartley reservoir. By 8.30 they had all over through. I left at 11.15 and will be back again next Saturday to do an all day session:t:

Species Count FLASHES:
Little grebe. Canada geese 220 roosted. Greylag 60. Teal 35. Mallard 25. Shelduck 3. Moorhen 31. Grey heron. Cormorant 5 over. Water rail 2.
Lapwing 302. Snipe 12. Curlew 12.
BHG 5500. Herring Gull 3. LBBG 6.
Buzzard 2. Pheasant. Stock dove 7.
Raven. Jay.
Kingfisher.
Cetti's w. Goldcrest.
Starling 35. Fieldfare. Song thrush 3. Redw ing 45+.
Chaffinch 10. Greenfinch 5 . Bullfinch . Goldfinch 25.
Pied wag. Meadow pipit 2.
Reed bunting.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 7. Little grebe 4. Shoveler 2 males. Tufted 8. Coot 15.
Always find various reports of gull roosts interesting, John. Please tell me why there'll be no more. Where do our gulls go for the winter? Pam

A swift visit yesterday and an obliging Water Rail.|=)|
Kept some great company in and out of the hide, as usual.

Looks like the Water Rail likes having its photo taken Lee.

Water Rail and Little Egret from Friday, Black Cap from earlier in the week.

Attachments

• Water rail-4864.jpg
    Water rail-4864.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Water rail-4865.jpg
    Water rail-4865.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Little Egret-4832.jpg
    Little Egret-4832.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Black Cap-4736.jpg
    Black Cap-4736.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 80
Always find various reports of gull roosts interesting, John. Please tell me why there'll be no more. Where do our gulls go for the winter? Pam

Historically Gulls have always roosted at the Flashes from July to October but almost exclusively BHG even before they started breeding in 2004 . When the first frosts arrive they tend to move off to the larger roost sites such as Westwoo and Bartley. I think they like to roost in the shallow water of the Flashes but it is prone to freezing very easily.
However in the last 4 or 5 years hundreds of large gulls have been roosting along side them. These arrive in September and are mostly gone by mid November all weather dependant. The work at the Flashes in late October hastened their departure this year. They are probably all roosting at Bartley reservoir Birmingham at this time of year. I thing they will be back next summer or even late winter as they did in February this year. :t: john

Today's WeBS counts courtesy of Dave J:

Black-tailed Godwit 1, Canada Goose 251, Coot 201, Cormorant 40, Curlew 12, Gadwall 1, GC Grebe 9, Grey Heron 4, Greylag Goose 60, Kingfisher 3, Lapwing 332, Little Egret 3, Little Grebe 7, Mallard 64, Moorhen min of 28, Mute Swan 26, Pochard 13, Shelduck 3, Shoveler 39, Snipe 10, Teal 23, Tufted Duck 24, Water Rail min of 3, Wigeon 1, Whooper Swan 1, BH Gull 120, Herring Gull 3, LBB Gull 8

In the gloom at the new hide around 3pm....

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 19 089 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 089 A_filtered.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 090 AQ_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 090 AQ_filtered.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 091 ZXXC_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 091 ZXXC_filtered.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 077 M_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 077 M_filtered.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 087 G_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 087 G_filtered.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 59
I know theres an I.D. section but could anyone I.D. this here please.

From New hide flying away over the caravan place.....

Looked (to me) quite a large bird...

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 19 045.JPG
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 045.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 045 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 045 A.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 047 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 047 A.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 103
  • Canon 2017  NOV 19 048 a.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 19 048 a.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 116
At the Flashes early morning Andy A reports:

2 Green Sand, 207 Canada Geese, c60 Greylag Geese, c260 Lapwing, 12 Curlew, 26 Snipe, 15 Teal

Last edited:
Historically Gulls have always roosted at the Flashes from July to October but almost exclusively BHG even before they started breeding in 2004 . When the first frosts arrive they tend to move off to the larger roost sites such as Westwoo and Bartley. I think they like to roost in the shallow water of the Flashes but it is prone to freezing very easily.
However in the last 4 or 5 years hundreds of large gulls have been roosting along side them. These arrive in September and are mostly gone by mid November all weather dependant. The work at the Flashes in late October hastened their departure this year. They are probably all roosting at Bartley reservoir Birmingham at this time of year. I thing they will be back next summer or even late winter as they did in February this year. :t: john
Thank you John for informative reply.

Tuesday's work party Tuesday Amy's Marsh

We will be continuing the opening up of the Lagoon tomorrow.
Also a bit of tree management if time allows.
The contractor is also scheduled to be spraying the crassula in the Broadmeadow pool.
Meet at 9 in MOORS car park if can spare a couple of hours ... all comers welcome
B :) john

Short visit on a dismal afternoon. This sparrowhawk nipped out of the rushes twice and disappeared around the back of the hide towards the Salwarpe, but obliged us with a stop-over at 4pm. Very poor light by then... 1/20th second shutter!

Attachments

• DSCN5235.jpg
    DSCN5235.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 135
From the Moors Pool early morning JTB reports:

Mute Swan 29 (second highest count ever), Whooper Swan still, Shoveler 27, Teal 34, Gadwall 2, Wigeon 1, Pochard 10, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew 12.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool early morning JTB reports:

Mute Swan 29 (second highest count ever), Whooper Swan still, Shoveler 27, Teal 34, Gadwall 2, Wigeon 1, Pochard 10, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew 12.

Mute Swan numbers increasing even further with 32 birds (28 adults and 4 juveniles) present early afternoon at the Moors Pool as per Andy A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back