Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 15:36   #51
birdmeister

Thankfully, when I counted raptors over my house on Tuesday, I wrote down the totals in my notebook (paper, not a phone app!) where they will not be lost in cyberspace like the last count.

Here are the numbers of raptors and other migrants noted: Turkey Vulture (32), Red-shouldered Hawk (8), Red-tailed Hawk (4), Buteo sp (10), Sharp-shinned Hawk (1), Cooper's Hawk (1), Accipiter sp (2), and raptor sp (2, one of which I only had a brief view of but looked like a Golden Eagle), Canada Goose (591), goose sp (330, all extremely distant), blackbird sp (several hundred), and crow sp (32+).

Dark-eyed Juncos are here in full force. I saw 10+ in the yard this morning.

Last edited by birdmeister : Thursday 9th November 2017 at 15:38.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 01:43   #52
birdmeister

I made it to my local reservoir today and found it very active again.

Migrants/highlights included Canada Goose (estimated 90), Gadwall (5), Mallard (5), American Black Duck (17), Green-winged Teal (2), Bufflehead (4), Common Merganser (5), duck sp (6), Ring-billed Gull (estimated 170), Herring Gull (1), Lesser Black-backed Gull (4), American Robin (estimated 30+), Gray Catbird (1, late), European Starling (estimated 1100, a highlight because of the number!), American Pipit (1), Cedar Waxwing (17), Yellow-rumped Warbler (2), Field Sparrow (1), White-throated Sparrow (2+), Song Sparrow (3), Swamp Sparrow (1), Common Grackle (estimated 65), blackbird sp (estimated 50), and Purple Finch (1, first of season, brief but decent views of a female type, a bit rare considering this is a non-irruption year for the species!).

Here's a link to a digiscoped Bufflehead picture:

https://download.ams.birds.cornell.e...sfp=3488324974

Last edited by birdmeister : Sunday 12th November 2017 at 01:47.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 03:13   #53
birdmeister

Another trip to my local reservoir revealed much the same birds, with a few differences.

Highlights/migrants included Canada Goose (estimated 500), Gadwall (6), American Black Duck (11), Green-winged Teal (21), Bufflehead (3), Common Merganser (4), duck sp (4), Ring-billed Gull (estimated 35), Lesser Black-backed Gull (2), American Robin (estimated 60), Cedar Waxwing (estimated 15), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), Fox Sparrow (1, first of year!), White-throated Sparrow (1+), Song Sparrow (1), and sparrow sp (4+).
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 23:40   #54
birdmeister

I made to Hawk Mountain for the afternoon yesterday.

It was a bit slow, but I had crushing views of a subadult Golden Eagle. That made my day!

I didn't keep track of the numbers (besides one Northern Harrier), but Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, Sharp-shinned, and Cooper's Hawks were recorded, as well as a few Bald Eagles. Songbird action was light, with a single flock of 12 Cedar Waxwings.
Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 00:35   #55
birdmeister

Not sure how many (if any) more reports I'll give. Much migration is winding down, with the exception of ducks, gulls, and a few hardy raptors. I suspect I'll only report again if I find/see something unusual.

If I don't post on this thread again, many thanks to those who followed along! It certainly is one of my favorite times of the year.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: