Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 22:17   #1
captaincaveman

No Birds yet

Help needed, I've Put up a feeder with peanuts and a row of fat balls in garden hanging from large pergola about a week ago and no visitors yet. Four gardens away i can see a large group of Blue and great tits along with gold and green finches on a daily basis. We also get regular flybys of magpies, blackbirds, crows etc but nothing landing.

Is it something i am doing wrong or is it about time as there hasn't been a feeder here for years?

Im lucky enough to have fields and a river nearby so get my fix(so far as a newbie), with grey and pied wagtails, long tailed tits, a couple of sightings of a Kingfisher, sparrowhawk, Buzzards and Kestrels and i think(still learning) a group of redwings. Also a short drive locally to Jays, green woodpeckers and numerous waders, also an otter but i just cant get to see them out of my window.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, oh and Hello from a newbie.
Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 22:36   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Hi Cap and welcome to BirdForum. Sounds like a bit more time is needed but also make sure they have some cover. There's a bush a trees near my feeders where they flit in and out of. Try some sunflower seeds as well. You'll soon have some regular visitors.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 23:10   #3
Kits
sos The Secretary Bird

Hi and welcome!

It does take time for the birds to realise there is a new restaurant around. Maybe you could add a mixed seed feeder? How close is the pergola to your house? If it is quite close, that might put off visitors. As Rich says, nearby cover from trees or shrubs is a good idea.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 1st December 2017, 01:03   #4
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Hi Cap and welcome to BirdForum. Sounds like a bit more time is needed but also make sure they have some cover. There's a bush a trees near my feeders where they flit in and out of. Try some sunflower seeds as well. You'll soon have some regular visitors.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Hi and welcome!

It does take time for the birds to realise there is a new restaurant around. Maybe you could add a mixed seed feeder? How close is the pergola to your house? If it is quite close, that might put off visitors. As Rich says, nearby cover from trees or shrubs is a good idea.
Thanks for the replies, the house is probably 18ft away, though the pergola is quite bare apart from the vines of a honeysuckle and the feeder itself is a roofed type. The gardens only trees are windmill palms, so do you think its not overgrown or bushy enough?

I wasn't sure if it was due to me or the fact the other garden is really well stocked, would they have an reason to need to leave it?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try some seeds too and see if that helps?

Im far from short of varieties in the village and surrounding areas for spotting, it would just be nice to see them while working from home and have a soft spot from Goldies and blue tits.

Last edited by captaincaveman : Friday 1st December 2017 at 01:06.
Old Friday 1st December 2017, 10:17   #5
d.steeley

As already mentioned, I think you need to put up a feeder for sunflower hearts. I have hearts, peanuts, fat-balls and suet cake in my garden, but the hearts are the first thing the birds go for. My Goldfinch eat nothing else.

Dave
Old Friday 1st December 2017, 17:54   #6
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steeley View Post
As already mentioned, I think you need to put up a feeder for sunflower hearts. I have hearts, peanuts, fat-balls and suet cake in my garden, but the hearts are the first thing the birds go for. My Goldfinch eat nothing else.

Dave

Thanks for the reply, actually had a landing today, on the fat balls from a Starling.
Old Sunday 3rd December 2017, 20:52   #7
emc

When you are putting up a feeder for the first time I would suggest black oil sunflower seeds, it attracts all sorts of birds.
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 10:10   #8
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc View Post
When you are putting up a feeder for the first time I would suggest black oil sunflower seeds, it attracts all sorts of birds.
Thanks, i'm actually building a second table for the top of the pergola to add additional types of seeds, it seems sunflower seeds are recommended everywhere, never thought about them before.
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 10:45   #9
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Welcome aboard Captain, looking forward to hearing what else turns up as the bird bush telegraph begins to operate. Why not join in on the Garden/Yard list thread from January (anything seen or heard in, over or from the garden/house goes on the list, it's all good fun!) ?
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 16:31   #10
KenM

FWIW Captain Sunflower, seeds apart, I've got a well "shrubed/treed" garden, and have no problems attracting birds to my fat ball/Sunflower/Peanut feeder. However I put up a separate niger feeding station some 7 years ago! I got my "first customers"....2 years later!!!

Cheers
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 01:24   #11
captaincaveman

Well an hour watch out of the window saw 4 separate house sparrows(3 males and a female) and 5 starlings, mainly on the fat balls, but one starling managed to go onto the feeder that has the nuts in and was pecking away, all the birds were also happily on the ground picking up dropped food, lets hope with addition food types there will be more action.

Do many garden birds learn actions by viewing from a distance, like what has been seen in some Corvids?
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 01:25   #12
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Welcome aboard Captain, looking forward to hearing what else turns up as the bird bush telegraph begins to operate. Why not join in on the Garden/Yard list thread from January (anything seen or heard in, over or from the garden/house goes on the list, it's all good fun!) ?
Yes i will do, there are plenty of species here, just at every other garden but mine at moment lol
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 01:26   #13
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
FWIW Captain Sunflower, seeds apart, I've got a well "shrubed/treed" garden, and have no problems attracting birds to my fat ball/Sunflower/Peanut feeder. However I put up a separate niger feeding station some 7 years ago! I got my "first customers"....2 years later!!!

Cheers
I not doing too bad then, in a few weeks of trying, two species
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 08:11   #14
markspirito

Try a nice big bird bath with regular clean water, they seem to love water, even if no feeders are around
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 12:10   #15
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspirito View Post
Try a nice big bird bath with regular clean water, they seem to love water, even if no feeders are around
yeah i've got one stored, due for a clean before putting it out, wasn't sure if right time of year or not, i'll give it a go, thanks
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 16:16   #16
MeInDallas

I always leave a bird bath out. I just have a terra cotta pot and saucer and they love it. This is a great way to attract birds even when they arent hungry.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155382...posted-public/
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 20:37   #17
captaincaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I always leave a bird bath out. I just have a terra cotta pot and saucer and they love it. This is a great way to attract birds even when they arent hungry.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155382...posted-public/

Thank you
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: