Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 11:37   #1
tyson

Whale Watching Madeira

Hi,

Iíve had a look online but I was just wondering if any seasoned whale watchers have been to Madeira. And if so please could you recommend a company to go with?

Iím going on Monday for a week. Not the best time of year, but I know that Sperm & Brydeís whale are meant to be resident there.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 11:42   #2
RafaelMatias

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson View Post
Hi,

Iíve had a look online but I was just wondering if any seasoned whale watchers have been to Madeira. And if so please could you recommend a company to go with?

Iím going on Monday for a week. Not the best time of year, but I know that Sperm & Brydeís whale are meant to be resident there.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
This one is well known: http://www.venturadomar.com/
Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18665593@N00/
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 20:28   #3
tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelMatias View Post
This one is well known: http://www.venturadomar.com/
Cheers
Thanks a lot Rafael.

Iíll post on here what I see.

Best wishes

Chris
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 20:37   #4
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

That company looks to have expanded quite a bit from when I was there about 10 years ago. The whale/dolphin watching trip looks good.

When I went with them, they only had one sailing on offer. It was combined with a trip to the Desertas Islands, and although we saw Spotted Dolphin, and good seabirds, it was a bit of a disappointment in that I saw distant Whale blows a few miles away port side, twice, but the boat couldn't investigate as it was on a timetable to get to Desertas for lunchtime!
So make sure your trip is dedicated Whale and dolphin, and not a Desertas Island tour too. (although there were interesting things to see on the island too )
Old Saturday 9th December 2017, 20:49   #5
tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
That company looks to have expanded quite a bit from when I was there about 10 years ago. The whale/dolphin watching trip looks good.

When I went with them, they only had one sailing on offer. It was combined with a trip to the Desertas Islands, and although we saw Spotted Dolphin, and good seabirds, it was a bit of a disappointment in that I saw distant Whale blows a few miles away port side, twice, but the boat couldn't investigate as it was on a timetable to get to Desertas for lunchtime!
So make sure your trip is dedicated Whale and dolphin, and not a Desertas Island tour too. (although there were interesting things to see on the island too )
Thanks peter.

Iíll make sure I book a trip that is specifically to look for whales.

Chris
Old Saturday 9th December 2017, 21:43   #6
RafaelMatias

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post

Hi,
I think their offer might have been (still is?) seasonal. They used to have available (also about 10 years ago) half day trips for dolphins leaving from Funchal, as far as I can recall. But bear in mind their main clients are "general tourists" and will be happy enough if they see any cetaceans and won't bother too much with exact ID being achieved. Make sure you make clear to them what you expect from them re diversity of species seen and accuracy of ID. I heard a story from someone going with another company about a beaked whale (!!) being right in front of them and no one seemed to care too much about getting an exact ID...
Another trip they used to have on offer was a 4 days sailing trip to the Selvagens islands (for breeding seabirds), and they used to pop up regularly there while I was doing research on Cory's Shearwaters and other seabird species at Selvagem Grande. I think they were the only company doing the Selvagens by then. Once Killian Mullarney,Magnus Robb and others appeared there unexpectedly and I'm pretty sure they used their services.
If you're looking for a seabird dedicated trip I'd try Madeira Windbirds though, they're clearly more specialized.
Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18665593@N00/
Old Sunday 10th December 2017, 16:53   #7
TWM

Hi Chris, I've done Madeira quite a few times (not at this time of year though).
The Ventura do Mar is very good but only goes out if sufficient people book. I've found the big Catamarans are fine and because of their speed can go quite a long way out.
I've seen Spotted Dolphins, Fin Whales, Pilot Whales, Bottlenose Dolphins and Common Dolphins out of Funchal.

I hope this weather doesn't mess up your plans too much!!!

Last edited by TWM : Sunday 10th December 2017 at 16:58.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: