Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 08:25   #1626
Mike Montier

Thanks Pete, beat me to it. Yes, you are quite right. Purple swamp hen is not a problem, there are lots and they often feed out in the open. Moustached Warbler are another story. There are high numbers but seeing them is not so easy. I always seem to see them near bridges so it’s worth waiting around those areas and they will eventually show. I only saw one last trip. They often flit from one side of the channel to the other so looking down the channels is also a good idea.
Balearic warblers are best seen right down the Boquer Valley one the right hand side near the end, always in the low scrub.
I don’t know anywhere near Palma to see them though. If you can get to any coastal scrub from there, you may be lucky. They are not rare and can be seen all around the Island. They are skulkers, that’s the problem so best to look low.
Seawatching is always best from the east coast, Porto Colom, Punta de n’amer etc but Formentor is also ok. A walk along the front at Palma is great but not for Shearwaters. Lots of Sandwich terns, Turnstones and possible Mediterranean Gull and Lesser-Black backed Gull.
Good luck to both of you and do let us know what you see.
Mike
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 10:23   #1627
Patrick_m

A cold morning yesterday at S'Albufera (not much warmer this morning) with a good number of wintering birds, mainly waterfowl and lapwings for now. Little in way of waders. Cranes are still around in good numbers (8 yesterday).
Below a sample of the birds in Cibollar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_O3I3692.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	648013  Click image for larger version

Name:	_D1_4938.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	648014  Click image for larger version

Name:	_D1_4931.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	859.8 KB
ID:	648015  
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 17:15   #1628
kevinh

Bluethroats still at depardura, water pipit,and 4 hoopoes on path. Long eared owl at S’amarador
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 18:01   #1629
Mike Montier

Standing at the end of my road near Mondrago just before dark, firstly a Blackbird chacked away, then the Stone Curlews screeched loudly, a Woodcock flew past followed by two Scops owls calling monotonously. A nice way to end a difficult day.
Kevin, I am meeting Neville in the morning at the salt pans, Ses Salines if you are around. The track is flooded so wellies are essential. Mike
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 18:03   #1630
Mike Montier

Thanks for the photos Patrick, some nice birds there. Yes, it’s flaming cold in the mornings with these clear skies. Mike
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 18:12   #1631
kevinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Standing at the end of my road near Mondrago just before dark, firstly a Blackbird chacked away, then the Stone Curlews screeched loudly, a Woodcock flew past followed by two Scops owls calling monotonously. A nice way to end a difficult day.
Kevin, I am meeting Neville in the morning at the salt pans, Ses Salines if you are around. The track is flooded so wellies are essential. Mike
Hi Mike, I’ve got builders in tomorrow but if they come early enough I’ll leave them to it and come and join you. It’ll be nice to catch up.
Old Wednesday 6th December 2017, 18:15   #1632
Mike Montier

A great morning at Salobrar de Campos salt pans this morning with Neville and later joined by Kevin.
A group of 45 Common Crane in a deep blue sky was unforgettable.
Two Spoonbills were nice, a few Dunlin, Little stint, very low numbers of Flamingoes is unusual for this time of the year but they still looked great, especially in flight.
At least four Great White egrets, Curlew, Snipe and Water Rail were nice fillers whilst we were waiting for the Cranes to take flight once more.
Lots of Marsh Harrier, Red Kite and four Booted eagles.
A Pintail was also present, Reed buntings and Fan-tailed warblers completed the day’s list.
Mike
Old Wednesday 6th December 2017, 23:45   #1633
Clive Griffin

Great afternoon at Son Real - finally caught up with Hawfinch (my bogey bird) at the drinking pool in front of the hide. On my previous visits I was always disappointed, but this was a wonderful day with lots of activity. Also there - Goldfinch, Crossbill, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Chiff-chaff, Robin. Went to Amarador just before sunset, still no Jack Snipe, but was rewarded with a Hen Harrier (female) and a Merlin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill_8599.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	648133  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawfinch_8586.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	648134  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawfinch_8620.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	648135  
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 08:31   #1634
Mike Montier

Hi Clive. Some great birds there. Glad you got your bogey bird at last, mine is still Ring Ouzel.
Lovely photos as usual.
Pep said that the Jack Snipe were at the “dog house” so they are not at the tower hide.
I think this is a different area. Near the entrance you take the left fork I think, and there are some houses there. Perhaps Pep can confirm.
I saw one Jack Snipe going to roost last year whilst waiting for the Starlings. Hen Harrier is a nice bird to see.
We will meet up soon, I am back to the uk next week but then I have some time.
Ps. Did you see Dunnock at Son Real, I still need it for the year?
Mike
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 08:33   #1635
Mike Montier

Just as an aside Clive, how do you download your photos onto Birdforum? When I try, it always says that they are over-size. Any advice? Thanks. Mike
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 11:37   #1636
honeym

Hi Mike
I have to resize them on my laptop before I can upload them. It's quite easy to do. I right click on an image, select Open (or Open with) and select Microsoft Office 2010. You then have a panel on the right where you can do basic editing (crop, brightness, contrast, colour balance, saturation and size). I usually select large document and then rename the with something appropriate with small or web at the end.
I'm sure there are lots of other ways but I hope this helps .
Martin
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 14:37   #1637
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin, you know me and computers. I will give it a go because sometimes it’s quite nice to put photos on here as well. Mike
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 22:30   #1638
timsg80
Gregor Tims

I sadly had the frustration of a tyre blowout on my way to Albufera today, just ten minutes' drive away! Some compensation came in the form of a Wryneck (not sure how rare they are at this time of year?) near Port d'Alcudia. I'll hopefully make it back over there on Saturday!

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Old Saturday 9th December 2017, 15:58   #1639
Clive Griffin

Hi Mike, I see Martin has answered your photo question. thanks Martin. I didn't see Dunnock at Son Real. I was there again yesterday, but only for an hour and didn't see Hawfinch either. And yesterday I met Kevin at the depuradora, he also told me the location of the Jack Snipe. I am also back to the UK next week, so maybe we will finally meet up next time. Clive.
Old Saturday 9th December 2017, 18:27   #1640
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Highlight (for me!) at Albufera this morning was six Western Swamphens. Also a good number of waders, including Littlw Stints, Dunlin, Common Snipe, Redshank and two Curlew Sandpipers. On top of that, a Black-necked Grebe, a Water Pipit, loads of ducks (especially Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon) and lots of thrushes, including several Fieldfare and a Redwing (first ebird record at the reserve!). No sign of the Wryneck today.

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: