Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 27th November 2017, 10:59   #51
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Thanks everyone. The question now is, what exactly is hidden within that mysterious "1x30" in the superb diagram conveyed by Henry, or in the 60 or 70 "layers"*? Is it in principle only what Lee has explained or are there other layers for different purpose/s?

Also I would very much like to see a video of any coating/s being applied to a lens or prism but all the relevant videos I have yet found on the internet (all or nearly all on YouTube) on the making of binoculars skip showing this! Thanks for any tip-off here.

*all of different composition, or some materal/s applied more than once in succession
I have been told that the most common material used for the coating is magnesium fluoride and despositing it in many layers of different thicknesses allows it to deal with the unwanted reflection of a wide band of light frequencies/colours. Each thickness cancelling the reflection of a quite narrow band of light frequency. The only other coating that has been mentioned to me by folks who do this work is the final layer on the outside surface of the lens which nowadays is typically a 'water-repellent' coating that also is easier to clean.

Lee
Old Monday 27th November 2017, 11:53   #52
typo

Dielectric mirror coatings combine alternating layers of high and low refractive index materials. Some of the most commonly used appear to be magnesium fluoride, silicon dioxide, tantalum pentoxide and titanium dioxide, but many dozens of other individual and combined materials are available to the optical engineers depending on the deposition technology used.

David

Last edited by typo : Monday 27th November 2017 at 13:02.
Old Wednesday 29th November 2017, 16:26   #53
NDhunter

I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M binocular. I am very pleased
with value here, as mentioned above. The nice wide FOV, it is bright, and I like the generous sweetspot.

I like the fit and finish, the focuser is smooth without any play, and the diopter works as designed.
The handling is very nice, and I like the position of the thumb indents.

I purchased mine on the Ebay site mentioned above, it is hard to see, how the seller made anything
on these, as they include free shipping. The markup on some optics must be quite a bit.

A comparison with my Zeiss Terra HD 8x42 was the closest thing I have on hand.
The Bushnell is better in several ways, being brighter, and the wider FOV, are impressive.

Jerry
Old Friday 1st December 2017, 09:24   #54
bluespiderweb

Congrats on your new binoculars, Jerry! And good job on the review too-well put and helpful information given; short and to the point.

It does make you wonder how in the world you can get such a deal on something like these, doesn't it? Good to hear people continue to get the good deal, and find them appealing too.

Enjoy!

Ah, you know?
Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 11:55   #55
adhoc

A belated thanks to David and others. On the lack of videos of lens coating, yes, it is again David's Holmes to my Watson, a camera lens thrust in there will (without a special intervening glass) itself get a free coating!

Rogers is still selling the Legend-M 8x42 for $160. They stated: on November 9th: 83 sold, "Limited quantity available" (post #3288 in Bargains); today, December 2nd: 157 sold, "Limited quantity available"! OpticsPlanet: risen back to $340 but minus today's coupon code discount $306. At Adorama: $299. At B&H: still out of stock. What is happening!

In a few weeks I should be able, like Bruce, to compare this against a Zen-Ray ED3 8x42, and might post a writeup, though I always feel a bit of an impostor at this. An odd thing though: whether I do this will be subject to the ZR's sharpness, which I remember being not as expected, due I thought to a QC issue, and need to check again. (It was with me, was given it away to a friend, and will need to be borrowed for this.)

PS. Barry, this is bothering me no end, and Google is not helping me in this, what does your sign-off quote mean? Thanks!

Last edited by adhoc : Saturday 2nd December 2017 at 13:05. Reason: PS.
Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 19:39   #56
bluespiderweb

Ps

No bother, no gain.

Ah, you know?

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Sunday 3rd December 2017 at 05:25. Reason: Ransom not met
Old Sunday 3rd December 2017, 02:39   #57
adhoc

Thank you Barry! But the ransom demand is too high! As a reasonable excuse: Surely, this has not bothered you as that bothered me? Again, thanks and apologies.

The thanks is for the kindness in responding as you did. As for the response itself, well... You are a bit like the mathematician Laplace. In presenting his findings, he explained difficult math will equally difficult math. But I do sort of get it, which is more than I can say about Laplace.

PS. I am just in time to beat the 24-hour deadline to edit. Please see Barry's Reason above in his post edited for my benefit! And thank you Barry, again.

Last edited by adhoc : Monday 4th December 2017 at 02:36.
Old Sunday 3rd December 2017, 23:44   #58
bluespiderweb

If you bring math into this, I am leaving!

Ah, you know?
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 00:06   #59
peter456

I bought two of the 8x42mm legend m from rogers sporting goods and imported them to germany. I paid 400 Euro included shipping and taxes. So i got two for the price of one because they are priced about 400 Euros here. One is absolutely fine and sadly on the second one the focus mechanism doesn't work so well.
Old Wednesday 13th December 2017, 02:18   #60
dries1

I bought one of these (Legend 8X42 M glass) and I am very happy with it, great view, contrast, the focus wheel is firm but with good movement, diopter is stiff but I have not had to adjust it for viewing 60 feet to infinity. The FOV is large and with a great sweet spot. I read somewhere the model is discontinued, a shame for the money (<$160.00) it is a great deal, perhaps get two. My thanks to Barry for giving me the lead to the quality and value.

Andy W.
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 17:43   #61
dries1

Bushnell Legend 8X42

This is my real surprise for a low cost bino, for some it may be a bit on the large and heavy side but the wide view, great contrast and color with good edge sharpness is very impressive, the eye cups have three settings, (inclusive of closed for eyeglasses) the focus wheel is firm with a bit of backlash, but for the price meh, not a problem. The diopter requires some finger strength to pull up but the focus travel is firm not loose, push back down with a solid click and it is set.
These are very bright also and handle glare well, and the sweet spot is large. So much more but just getting the handle on these and really enjoying them.

The eyecups and objective covers could be better, but then for < $160.00 you cannot go wrong.
I want to thank Barry on this one, I am eating some crowe, he recommended these and I was apprehensive, took a chance and now have a nice glass at a great value.

AndyW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2344.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	648741  
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 22:34   #62
bluespiderweb

No crow to eat, but glad you like them, Andy. It seemed a no-brainer for me, with recommendations coming from far more knowlegeable and experienced users on the forum who first told us about them. If you add that and the excellent seller on Ebay who is providing the good deal, it didn't seem there was a lot to lose by ordering a pair.

Enjoy!

Ah, you know?
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 18:09   #63
Sancho

I bought a pair of Legend M 10x42, arrived yesterday, from an English seller. Paid a lot more than the US discounted prices. But I am stunned by how much the 'mid-range' (i.e. sub 350-euro) binos now perform. Compared them to my beloved Swaro WGA 10x40, and they are a tad darker in evening light, but handle glare better. Comfy in my hands, love the diopter, massive 'sweet spot' and wide FOV for a 10x. Strongly recommended.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th December 2017, 19:48   #64
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I bought a pair of Legend M 10x42, arrived yesterday, from an English seller. Paid a lot more than the US discounted prices. But I am stunned by how much the 'mid-range' (i.e. sub 350-euro) binos now perform. Compared them to my beloved Swaro WGA 10x40, and they are a tad darker in evening light, but handle glare better. Comfy in my hands, love the diopter, massive 'sweet spot' and wide FOV for a 10x. Strongly recommended.
Sancho

You need to stop kissing the Blarney Stone, gushing like this can lead you to down strange paths, like posting on Ruffled Feathers and other impulsive activities

Legend Ms are nice though, I agree.

Lee
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 19:59   #65
Sancho

D'you know, I have never even seen the Blarney Stone! I'm sure I'll find something I don't like in these Bushnells before long, though...it's an illness!

Last edited by Sancho : Saturday 16th December 2017 at 09:34.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: