Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 19:04   #126
l_raty
laurent raty

FWIW:

Elliotia Nietner 1856
Nietner J. 1856. Entomological papers - being descriptions of new Ceylon Coleoptera, with such observations on their habits as appear any way interesting. [Second part.] J. Asiat. Soc. Bengal, 25:523-554.
p. 524: [here].
For those who can't read Latin, Elliotia honours Sir Walter Elliot, said to be from Madras (but who was originally a Scot), and described as a most careful and deserving naturalist.

It's a bit of a pity that such problems seemingly can't be avoided these days... (For generic names, in most cases, little more is needed than a 15-second visit to the online version of [Neave's Nomenclator Zoologicus].)
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 19:16   #127
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and Shiny hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
FWIW:

Elliotia Nietner 1856
Nietner J. 1856. Entomological papers - being descriptions of new Ceylon Coleoptera, with such observations on their habits as appear any way interesting. [Second part.] J. Asiat. Soc. Bengal, 25:523-554.
p. 524: [here].
For those who can't read Latin, Elliotia honours Sir Walter Elliot, said to be from Madras (but who was originally a Scot), and described as a most careful and deserving naturalist.

It's a bit of a pity that such problems seemingly can't be avoided these days... (For generic names, in most cases, little more is needed than a 15-second visit to the online version of [Neave's Nomenclator Zoologicus].)
IRMNG is a little bit better in my opinion.

I hope the authors will be informed

There is a genus named Leucolia Mulsant & Verreaux, 1866, but I don't know its type species, however, HBW mention a theoretical genus called Chionogaster

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Saturday 25th November 2017 at 07:56.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 09:26   #128
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeNomenclatoriste View Post
There is a genus named Leucolia Mulsant & Verreaux, 1866, but I don't know its type species,
Leucolia Mulsant, Verreaux & Verreaux 1866
Mulsant E, Verreaux J, Verreaux E. 1866. Essai d'une classification méthodique des Trochilidés, comprenant le catalogue de toutes les espèces connues de ces oiseaux. Mém. Soc. Imp. Sci. Nat. Cherbourg, 12:149-242.
p. 175: [here].

Originally included nominal species: L. fallax (Bourcier & Mulsant), L. quadricolor (Vieillot)/L. guatemalensis (Gould), L. violiceps (Gould), L. franciae (Bourcier), L. cyanocephala (Lesson), L. leucogaster (Gould), L. chionopectus (Gould), L. viridiceps (Gould), L. candidus (Bourcier), L. chionogaster (Tschudi)/L. turneri (Bourcier), L. hemileucurus (Gould).

No original type fixation; any of the OINS (that includes chionogaster) could become the type by a subsequent designation; but, so far, I've not been able to find a valid designation. (This name has been little used outside of the French literature. E.g., see its reception in Ibis [here].) Elliot 1879 [here] cited it in the synonymy of Uranomitra Reichenbach, from two sources neither of which was the OD, attributing two different 'types' to the name as taken for each of these sources neither of which was an OINS. Ridgway 1911 [here], who usually made the type of the names he cited clear, cited it in the synonymy of Agyrtria and had it followed by "(Type, ?)". If there is a designation, it is very probably posterior to the current date of copyright expiration.

A. chionogaster is suggested to be the type (or at least this is how I interpret the dagger symbol there) in James Jobling's Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology [here], but I don't know on which base; and this is not published work in the sense of the Code, hence cannot constitute a designation by itself.

Quote:
however, HBW mention a theoretical genus called Chionogaster
I see a few other signs that this name has been used, e.g., it is cited [here], and it is in James Jobling's Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology [here].
But of course just using it would not make it available, unless this was done before 1931.

BTW, the whole paper is now freely available [here].
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 09:41   #129
LeNomenclatoriste

They use Leucolia for viridifrons and violiceps, problem solved

I'm expecting a replacement name for Elliotia very soon

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Saturday 25th November 2017 at 10:53.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 11:14   #130
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
They use Leucolia for viridifrons and violiceps, problem solved
What they did solved nothing, I'm afraid. They wrote:
Quote:
This leaves Leucolia Mulsant et al., 1866, within which they considered Cyanomyia and Leucolia to be subgenera; they included violiceps in the former subgenus. The genus Leucolia sensu stricto included viridifrons as well as four other species that in the tree are included in other genera. This leaves viridifrons eligible as the type and indeed, it was tentatively so designated by Elliot (1879). Therefore, we recommend recognizing the genus Leucolia, and we fix viridifrons (Elliot, 1871) as its type species; this also includes transferring violiceps and wagneri from Cyanomyia to Leucolia. Rodríguez-Gómez & Ornelas (2015) further documented the close genetic relationship between violiceps and viridifrons.
In this text, they are obviously mixing the content of the [OD] of 1866 with that of Mulsant & Verreaux's Histoire naturelle des oiseaux-mouches, ou, Colibris constituant la famille des trochilidés of 1874 [here].
In the OD, no subgenera were recognized (Cyanomya is just cited as the generic name that was used by Gould for some of the species), and it seems obvious that Cyanomyia viridifrons Elliot 1871 [OD] cannot have been originally included in a genus described in 1866: there is definitely no way that it might be eligible to become the type.

A designation of violiceps would have been valid, assuming no earlier valid designation is hidden out there in the non-digitized literature; this was an OINS. The above is clearly not valid at all.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 18:10   #131
ramphocelus

Like Laurent, I've also noticed that there seems to be no valid type fixation for Leucolia, so it's application sensu Stiles et al. is opened to question.
Regarding Elliotia, I have a further question: did they comply to art. 13.1 of the Code, so the name can be available?

"13.1. Requirements. To be available, every new name published after 1930 must satisfy the provisions of Article 11 and must
13.1.1. be accompanied by a description or definition that states in words characters that are
purported to differentiate
the taxon," [Bold mine]

They indeed describe the plumage of the species, but they present no diagnosis IMO. Or am I too severe in my interpretation?
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 20:12   #132
LeNomenclatoriste

Correct me if I'm wrong but I suppose that Elliotia Nietner 1856 complies with the article 12.

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Saturday 25th November 2017 at 20:17.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 20:24   #133
ramphocelus

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I suppose that Elliotia Nietner 1856 complies with the article 12.
I meant the bird genus Elliotia - I'm not sure it was properly erected in the Zootaxa paper.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 20:45   #134
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramphocelus View Post
I meant the bird genus Elliotia
I understood ^^

Anyway, whatever if it was properly erected or not, the new name is not available because you know what.

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Saturday 25th November 2017 at 20:55.
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 16:30   #135
thomasdonegan
Former amateur ornithologist

There are now at least 7 synonyms in 4 years for Zootaxa. The hall of shame now reads as follows:

1. Icterus "bullockorum" Chesser 2015.

2. "Cassicinae" Remsen, Powell, Schodde, Barker & Lanyon 2016.

3. "Inundicola" Bravo, Isler & Brumfield 2013.

4. "Tachurididae" Ohlson, Irestedt, Ericson & Fjeldså, 2013.

5. "Ortalisini" David, 2014.

6. "Remsenornis" Piacentini 2017.

7. ''Elliotia'' Stiles, Remsen & Macguire, 2017

See further here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=241162&page=8

There is a remarkable commonality of authors, reviewers, patronym-people and editors among the above; a lack of serious rigour or challenge may lead to mistakes. In addition to the databases referred to in this discussion, several senior ornithologists seem to remain unaware of Google.*

* Other reputable search engines are also available.
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 16:45   #136
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdonegan View Post
''Elliotia'' Stiles, Remsen & Macguire, 2017
A new replacement name is in process, dixit Stiles, ramen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdonegan View Post
In addition to the databases referred to in this discussion, several senior ornithologists seem to remain unaware of Google
I'ld say that they don't want to waste their time to inquire if a name exists or not

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Tuesday 5th December 2017 at 17:30.
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 18:23   #137
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
A new replacement name is in process, dixit Stiles, ramen
If the availability of Elliotia is questionable (cf. Vitor's comments above), it would be safer to re-describe the genus as new.
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 00:29   #138
ramphocelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
If the availability of Elliotia is questionable (cf. Vitor's comments above), it would be safer to re-describe the genus as new.
I told them about it, so I believe they will do it as a new genus at all.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: