Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 17:49   #1
Mary
BF Supporter 2018

Hugh's Wild West

I missed the first last Saturday, so watched on iplayer. Next one Saturday 13th 18.00. Well worth catching the 1st episode, superb film of dippers et al.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 18:52   #2
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2018

Thanks Mary, I'd missed this, so downloaded Ep 1 and got the rest on record.

Dippers are my all-time fave!!!

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 20:39   #3
Torchepot

Worth watching (Episode 1) just for the chance to see the extraordinary Steph Tyler in action.

If you're not familiar with her here's a bit of background.

https://britishbirds.co.uk/article/p...ephanie-tyler/

And something a bit more recent

2015-Steph-Tyler-citation-1.pdf

Last edited by Torchepot : Friday 12th January 2018 at 23:14.
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 04:06   #4
SanAngelo

An absolutely fantastic 1st eppy. Great combination of professionals, I can't rave enough about this program. Big Cats was good but I enjoyed Hugh's Wild West much better.

BBC puts together the best docs/nature shows, the states has NatGeo but for me it tends to be over produced or glamorous.....I'm not sure how to accurately describe my meaning.

Thanks for posting, bringing this to my attention. Do you have other similar BBC programs you recommend?
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 18:12   #5
Mary
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchepot View Post
Worth watching (Episode 1) just for the chance to see the extraordinary Steph Tyler in action.

If you're not familiar with her here's a bit of background.

https://britishbirds.co.uk/article/p...ephanie-tyler/

And something a bit more recent

Attachment 651028
Many thanks for those links, it was great to understand more about her that the programme didn't mention. Wish I could swing ladders around like that, and still climb them! What a lady!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 09:10   #6
Moadib

Thanks! I had missed this, but will catch up on iPlayer

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 12:02   #7
BimmyB

Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...' if it had been an older man we wouldn't have had these sexist references. Aside from calling owl raptors and falling into the typical trap of referring to 'bugs and other invertebrates' they're all invertebrates! it was better than big cats, any of the 'watches' and countryfile.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 12:55   #8
Bubbs

Owls are raptors as far as I’m concerned.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 17:52   #9
SanAngelo

A case can be made defining Hugh's Wild West as a enduring, loving program. The volunteers watching over the Little Terns is a lovely example, God's work if you will.

As for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmyB View Post
Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...'
I would venture to say Dr Tyler had a hand in this introduction, Grandmother is a milestone in life equal in recognition when achieved and often much more important when the time comes.

You see what you want to see.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 18:23   #10
Farnboro John

Quote:
Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...' if it had been an older man we wouldn't have had these sexist references. Aside from calling owl raptors and falling into the typical trap of referring to 'bugs and other invertebrates' they're all invertebrates! it was better than big cats, any of the 'watches' and countryfile.
Actually e.g. referring to Darwin as "Father of the Theory of Evolution", and suchlike is quite common: its nice to see a member of the other sex getting their deserved credit and I wonder what your deeper motivation for decrying it is.

Owls are nocturnal raptors just as hawks are diurnal raptors: and "bugs and other invertebrates" places bugs firmly within invertebrates.

All of which places the remainder of your post in context.

John
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 18:32   #11
Bubbs

Quote:
Was is really necessary to introduce her as 'grandmother of...'
Yes. Lighten up.
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 23:33   #12
SanAngelo

Fanboy here....loved the 3rd episode coverage on the Long-tailed tit.
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 19:57   #13
graham_t

I really like this series. I only stumbled on it by accident and was changing channels when I saw the Dipper footage. The Long Tailed Tit piece in the last episode was also fascinating. The title suggests something rather naff and to be avoided - I'm glad I didn't. It's interesting to compare this series to the Cats programs. I find these to be beautifully photographed by what were undoubtedly highly skilled photographers but the voice over commentary dull and uninvolving. The Hugh's program probably has a fraction of the budget that Cats has but the presence of an enthusiastic, hands on presenter and some other enthusiastic and dedicated local experts makes it, for me, a far more interesting watch. You can throw as much money as you like at projects where phenomenal camerawork is carried out, but unless you get the presentation right, the end result can still for me, be rather tiresome and frustrating.

Last edited by graham_t : Thursday 25th January 2018 at 20:01.
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 22:01   #14
Loud Green Man

Full marks to Hugh for allowing those dedicated and largely unsung enthusiasts to take centre stage.

We should club together and buy the long tailed tit enthusiast a new pair of top end bins. Or at least a new neck strap!

LGM
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 22:38   #15
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_t View Post
I really like this series. I only stumbled on it by accident and was changing channels when I saw the Dipper footage. The Long Tailed Tit piece in the last episode was also fascinating. The title suggests something rather naff and to be avoided - I'm glad I didn't. It's interesting to compare this series to the Cats programs. I find these to be beautifully photographed by what were undoubtedly highly skilled photographers but the voice over commentary dull and uninvolving. The Hugh's program probably has a fraction of the budget that Cats has but the presence of an enthusiastic, hands on presenter and some other enthusiastic and dedicated local experts makes it, for me, a far more interesting watch. You can throw as much money as you like at projects where phenomenal camerawork is carried out, but unless you get the presentation right, the end result can still for me, be rather tiresome and frustrating.
Interesting. I generate my own interest based on species, behaviour and camerawork so the footage is really all I need: which is not to say I don't enjoy Hugh's efforts, but the programme isn't in the same universe as the cat programme, commentary or no commentary.

John
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 18:07   #16
NoSpringChicken

I am really enjoying this series. Hugh doesn't pretend to be any kind of an expert, just an enthusiastic novice who is keen to learn. Every episode has something which has interested me, especially the fascinating little Cuttlefish.

I noticed in the latest episode that they have Gary the sound recordist and at least one of the cameramen from Spring/Autumnwatch.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 18:49   #17
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

I must admit I've been enjoying this series as well - wasn't expecting to either.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th February 2018, 20:22   #18
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

The episode about the Somerset Levels was superb on the Saturday evening just gone and it appears that, that area is the place in the UK to go to, to see Birds and other wildlife. Even better than Minsmere and it take me a lot to say that, having been to Minsmere before and I always thought that Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK. But the Somerset Levels sounds an even better area to visit and I’ve never been to the Somerset Levels before.
Ian.
Old Wednesday 7th February 2018, 20:28   #19
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
The episode about the Somerset Levels was superb on the Saturday evening just gone and it appears that, that area is the place in the UK to go to, to see Birds and other wildlife. Even better than Minsmere and it take me a lot to say that, having been to Minsmere before and I always thought that Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK. But the Somerset Levels sounds an even better area to visit and Ive never been to the Somerset Levels before.
Ian.
I've not been to Minsmere Ian but Ham Wall is in my top 3 reserves. Right up there with RSPB Dinas and Loch Garten.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th February 2018, 20:34   #20
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
I've not been to Minsmere Ian but Ham Wall is in my top 3 reserves. Right up there with RSPB Dinas and Loch Garten.

Rich
Until I saw the episode about the Somerset Levels I would have always said Minsmere was the best bird reserve in the UK as a lot of my birdwatching friends have said from my local RSPBl Group as well. It would take a lot to change my mind, but after watching that episode about the Somerset Levels, I’ve been forced to change my mind and I’ve never even visited that area in the UK.
Ian.

Last edited by IAN JAMES THOMPSON : Wednesday 7th February 2018 at 20:39.
Old Wednesday 7th February 2018, 20:58   #21
Farnboro John

The Somerset Levels is a superb wetland. It is one of the top conservation assets in the UK. But as a reserve for seeing a lot of stuff quickly and easily I reckon Titchwell beats it and Minsmere comfortably.

John
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 22:08   #22
SanAngelo

I was really enjoying episode 6 until they got on to glorifying the return of the Wild Boar. At the end of the segment the focus shifted to how their numbers and destruction are getting out of hand. A good balance for the need to cull would have been exposing the damage, declining numbers to ground nesting birds. In speaking for Texas, those feral hogs are a challenge to land stewards when it comes to Northern Bobwhite and Wild Turkey.

On a positive note, those guys hanging out in the BF Insect SubForum should tune into Dr Tyler's moth trap segment......I think they'd find it interesting.
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 22:46   #23
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngelo View Post
I was really enjoying episode 6 until they got on to glorifying the return of the Wild Boar. At the end of the segment the focus shifted to how their numbers and destruction are getting out of hand. A good balance for the need to cull would have been exposing the damage, declining numbers to ground nesting birds. In speaking for Texas, those feral hogs are a challenge to land stewards when it comes to Northern Bobwhite and Wild Turkey.

On a positive note, those guys hanging out in the BF Insect SubForum should tune into Dr Tyler's moth trap segment......I think they'd find it interesting.
The difference is, Wild Boar are native to Britain, so the situation with Feral Hogs in the US is not the same.

David
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 23:16   #24
SanAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
The difference is, ...... David
Sir, I'm willing to be educated, tell me what I don't know.
Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 08:17   #25
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
The difference is, Wild Boar are native to Britain, so the situation with Feral Hogs in the US is not the same.

David
Furthermore, and following from the fact that Wild Boar are native, in Britain culling in current areas should be replaced with capture of excess individuals and sounders, and transfer to new areas for colonisation e.g. the New Forest, Sherwood etc. The absence of this makes it apparent that the underlying current attitude is still heavily against recolonisation by native species, all of which have roles to play in forest management (including, in the case of Wild Boar, enforcing badly needed improved control of domestic dogs.)

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: