Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Wednesday 22nd September 2004, 19:43   #51
Edward woodwood

Guardian Spirit of the East Bank is currently only 17.50 at Cley WWT.

a steal.
Old Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 19:22   #52
Revles

I am into water colour,flowers mainly, and have sold a few...but would love to have another go at birds...did a couple but not particularly good...was never sure how precise I needed to be in regard to feathers...or should they be representational...rather than precise...I think from an art point of view,for me, perhaps the latter..or is it that I'm not good enough to get the detail!...for me a bird though has to be seen in it's environment to have any real meaning...yes I think there should be as much input as possible on the subjects mentioned...it helps us learn and is part of the whole 'bird watching' thing as far as I'm concerned. Revles.
Old Monday 28th March 2005, 21:29   #53
Phil Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revles
I am into water colour,flowers mainly, and have sold a few...but would love to have another go at birds...did a couple but not particularly good...was never sure how precise I needed to be in regard to feathers...or should they be representational...rather than precise...I think from an art point of view,for me, perhaps the latter..or is it that I'm not good enough to get the detail!...for me a bird though has to be seen in it's environment to have any real meaning...yes I think there should be as much input as possible on the subjects mentioned...it helps us learn and is part of the whole 'bird watching' thing as far as I'm concerned. Revles.
This is the first time I've seen this thread and its great.I have read most peoples comments and here are a few of my own.

I have been sketching and painting for about 20 years, I started with birds and moved to lanscapes, nudes and just about everything else.I use many mediums when i paint but when I'm out sketching birds i use a propelling pencil and coloured pencils.I think the most important thing is practice practice practice.I understand most peoples problems as I suffer from them all but my biggest problem is short term memory....I simply cannot remember what i saw through my scope seconds before...which makes it very difficult as birds keep moving.What I try to do is several sketches of bits and then try to add to them bit by bit...if you watch a bird long enough you will find it returns to the same stance time and again so you can add little bits at a time.I am very envious of those that have photographic memory...but for me i have to do things the hard way.
as far as rules are concerned i dont think there are any...use whatever you need to...I started using a video a few years ago and found this invaluable as most birds seem to fly off as soon as i get my sketchbook out.The biggest problem with a video is you spend to much time videoing and not enough practicing your sketching.

Phil.(more to come)
Old Saturday 9th July 2005, 11:25   #54
dahyde
David Hyde

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
I'm always interested in anything to do with wildlife and bird art and a dedicated forum would suit me fine, so you get my vote.
Hi Woody
I an new to Birdforum and have only just found the Art section. I have had a look at your excellent pictures. I too would vote for a dedicated wildlife/bird art forum.
I think you would probably agree that, in art, the end result justifies the means (whatever they happen to be). I have used my 35mm transparancies for subject poses etc but am now in the early stages of using digiscoped photos. Digital imaging has bought the difficulty of sketching moving subjects within the reach of everone. If you have a digital video camera or a digital VCR sequences can be stepped through frame by frame, captured on your PC, reversed if neccessary, enlarged and printed for drawing. Working from photographs is NOT cheating, artists have been doing it since the camera was invented, in fact artists have been using projected images since before the camera was invented!
I have started to post some of my daubs and will post some of my digiscoped images in time (I can only update 3 every 24hrs).

DAVID
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: