Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Old Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:50   #26
d.steeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus
Dave - do you get much in the way of small birds on John Downie? The reason I ask is our birds seem to prefer our smaller fruited crabs to JD.
No, the John Downies I know have been in other gardens. You get the usual Blackbirds pecking at the wind falls but I haven't seen much else feed in them.

Steve Nova is correct when he says that the Amelanchier fruits in late summer and does not provide food when it is most needed. However, I grow it for it's ornamental value not as a wildlife plant so the birds that are attracted to it are still welcomed.

Dave
Old Tuesday 21st February 2006, 21:04   #27
Sue Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steeley
No, the John Downies I know have been in other gardens. You get the usual Blackbirds pecking at the wind falls but I haven't seen much else feed in them.

Steve Nova is correct when he says that the Amelanchier fruits in late summer and does not provide food when it is most needed. However, I grow it for it's ornamental value not as a wildlife plant so the birds that are attracted to it are still welcomed.

Dave
I agree completely with what you say about the Amelanchiers, Dave, wonderful onamental trees, with superb foliage through the Spring & Summer, but especially in Autumn. Gorgeous when in bloom too. We certainly didn't buy ours for the berries, though it's wonderful to see the Blackbirds on them in late Summer. I've never seen much on a John Downie either, lovely trees and superb for jelly making, but little in the way of Birds. Each to their own though.
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 21st February 2006, 21:24   #28
Isurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue & Terry
I agree completely with what you say about the Amelanchiers, Dave, wonderful onamental trees, with superb foliage through the Spring & Summer, but especially in Autumn. Gorgeous when in bloom too. We certainly didn't buy ours for the berries, though it's wonderful to see the Blackbirds on them in late Summer. I've never seen much on a John Downie either, lovely trees and superb for jelly making, but little in the way of Birds. Each to their own though.
there's no doubt amelanchier is a very good ornamental and it certainly adds to our mixed hedge (looks interesting as a single species hedge too - check out the pic on hedging.co.uk).

I just have one problem with them. I have heard the fruit are delicious but they get eaten so quickly I never get a chance to get near a ripe one.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: