• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery from NSW, Australia (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
This bird was recently posted on Birding-Aus (the Australian Birding Mailing-List) by Mike Simpson. He added:

Glen Davis was great with Turquoise Parrot, White-winged Chough,
White-browed Treecreeper seen among a lot of others I was more familiar
with. However one little brown bird was not familiar to me, and checking the
books was of no help, please see and let me know what this one is:-
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbird2/unknown-bird.jpg

Glen Davis is in the Capertee Valley, NW of Sydney NSW
I'm torn between White-winged Triller and Jacky-Winter but now heading for the latter.

Tom

Attachments

• unknown-bird.jpg
    unknown-bird.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 189
It's not the Triller for me. Body looks too compact. It would be an unusual posture for Lalage usually keeping the wings tucked normally when perched. Looks grey on the lateral breast and I don't have large amounts of grey in my descriptions there for juveniles, females, or eclipse males of the Lalage (exception being a very slight greyish wash of the predominant white belly of the adult male). Beak looks too weak for Lalage. Lastly, the undertail is wrong for Lalage.

Last edited:
Tom Tarrant said:
This bird was recently posted on Birding-Aus (the Australian Birding Mailing-List) by Mike Simpson. He added:

Glen Davis was great with Turquoise Parrot, White-winged Chough,
White-browed Treecreeper seen among a lot of others I was more familiar
with. However one little brown bird was not familiar to me, and checking the
books was of no help, please see and let me know what this one is:-
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbird2/unknown-bird.jpg

Glen Davis is in the Capertee Valley, NW of Sydney NSW
I'm torn between White-winged Triller and Jacky-Winter but now heading for the latter.

Tom

I am wondering about female or immature Brown Songlark? Colouration is vaguely right and there is some darkness around the eye which fits. The bill is potentially a problem. I am also wondering if it is in the process of taking off, giving it that swallow/martin-like appearance in the wings. In my experience the females don't cock their tails like the males so the posture is OK for Songlark as well.

Cheers

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back