• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairy Pitta-Hushan Dam Project, Taiwan (1 Viewer)

Mark Bruce

Super Moderator
A large area of the Huben IBA (Birdlife IBA code: TW017) is threatened by the proposed Hushan Dam Project. Hushan, which falls within the greater Huben IBA, is the world's most important breeding area for the vulnerable Fairy Pitta Pitta nympha.

Hushan is home to a number of other listed birds. The Endemic Taiwan Partridge; Swinhoe's Pheasant; and Taiwan Blue Magpie are resident.

Please assist our efforts in saving this important bird area in Taiwan by sending a letter to the Taiwanese President and authorities. (Birdlife International has sent their own letter of concern http://en.wildatheart.org.tw/archives/a_letter_to_president_chen_re_the_fairy_pitta.html)

The draft of the letter can be found at http://en.wildatheart.org.tw/archives/hushan_dam_petition_your_help_is_needed.html#more

More information on the Hushan Dam Project
http://en.wildatheart.org.tw/archives/the_hushan_dam.html
http://en.wildatheart.org.tw/archives/who_wrung_the_river_dry_.html
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=35667

Done.

Keeping bumping the page up everybody! This really is an important area of habitat, having visited the area last year it really is amazing to see how many species survive here, especially endemics that this area holds on top of the Fairy Pittas which really are wonderful birds.

Email sent. Good luck Mark and everyone else involved in this :t:

May I suggest you reformat the corresponding Post in Thread 35667 so that it will stand out better to casual readers?

Regards,

Andy.

A slight difficulty has arisen - return email has a link back to a confirmation page, which button do I use to confirm that I want to get this message to the President?

Attachments

• Reply.JPG
    Reply.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 168
Andrew Rowlands said:
A slight difficulty has arisen - return email has a link back to a confirmation page, which button do I use to confirm that I want to get this message to the President?
OK, sussed it - "(Confirmation email will be sent--respond by clicking the left icon)" - should've read it properly the first time ... :-C

Andrew Rowlands said:
Email sent. Good luck Mark and everyone else involved in this :t:

May I suggest you reformat the corresponding Post in Thread 35667 so that it will stand out better to casual readers?

Regards,

Andy.
Thanks, Andy. Sorted !

Bump.

Another signature, we have got to keep those Fairies safe and flying.

Good luck Mark and thanks for all the hard work from the Fairies

Ann :flyaway:

A response from the Ministry of Economics Affairs

A response to my letter. A point by point rebuttal to this letter is being put together.

"Thank you for your letter to Premier Su Tseng-Chang, regarding your concerns about the Hushan Dam Project at Hushan village. Premier Su has paid his attention to this subject and requested the Water Resources Agency (WRA) for investigation and response. For your long-term commitment and devotion to issues of environment and conservation for the globe really impressed me and I would also like to express my utmost respect.
Hushan Reservoir project is within the scope of our key development plan at current stage. This project has an aim to provide adequate water resource for residents in Yunlin County, where the people has sufferred a long term water shortage since the 1970's and land-subsidence due to over-pumping ground water. These disadvantages have not only impacted environment but also affected quality of people's life. Over more than twenty years studies, investigation and planning, which is in accordance with the law and related environmental assessment, the government has reached the agreement of Hushan Reservoir project, hoping to solve water shortage and land-subsidence problems in Yunlin County.
As we known, Taiwan is situated on Circum Pacific Seismic Zone, hence there are numerous earthquakes recorded annually. In 1999, Chichi earthquake, which took place on September 21st, caused a huge disasters in Taiwan. We are assured, the site of Hushan Reservoir is situated off the fault area. On the other hand, as a post-disaster response, our government has stepped out its effort for reexamination and tightened construction safety after the September 21st earthquake. Hushan Reservoir project has gone through a detailed and rigorous review before its approval, therefore, safety and earthquake proof level have been ensured.
Hushan Reservoir sits on the hill of Touliu City, with its site and vicinity covering a span across forestry zone numbered 61~73 of Mt. Ali, and the reservoir itself stretching among forest compartment numbered 71~73. It has been found that Taiwan receives about 2,000~3,000 Fairy Pitta (Pitta nympha) per year after a thorough study. This specie has been visible around the island and Hushan Reservoir area shelters about 30~40 of them, with majority found in the submerged area and watershed. Upon completion, Hushan Reservoir will cover 202 hectares size of submerged area (opposed to 422 hectare as you mentioned). Our data shows that the Fairy Pitta has also been observed in the surrounding areas of other reservoirs, which provides evidence that the ecology of reservoir areas can definitely be restored with careful management.
Regarding environmental aspect, we have organized a budget of USD$6 million for execution of related environmental works in accordance with the Law of Environmental Impact Assessment. The scope of our work includes: migration, habitat conservation, ecology restoration, and etc. We believe, that efforts of ecologists, environmental experts and enthusiasts, as well as engineers, the environmental protection and human development can be matched. Hushan Reservoir will also be designed as an inspirational example for future possible reservoir projects in Taiwan.
Sincerely Yours,

Shen-Hsien Chen
Director-General
Water Resources Agency
Ministry of Economics Affairs
Taiwan, ROC" 

It sounds like there are a few holes in their argument, Mark (not that I'm an expert in any of the areas mentioned) - keep up the pressure :t:

Regards,

Andy.

Letter sent!

I'd be very interested to read your rebuttal of this letter to help understand the issues better.

In my letter I referred to the Pillow Mountain case also in Yun Lin County as reported in World Birdwatch vol 22 no 3. Are the same crowd involved in promoting this project?

Hi MKinHK,

Thanks for sending a letter. Yes, Pillow Mountain falls within the same IBA as the Hushan Dam Project (Huben IBA- Birdlife IBA code: TW017). It is all part of the greater Huben area. I don't know exactly which project you are referring to with regards to Pillow Mountain. Pillow Mountain has been saved a few times since 1999. The latest gravel mining project that I'm aware of on Pillow Mountain was stopped through the efforts of Legislator Yin Ling-ying earlier this year. The whole Huben area is under pressure. There is a bit about it in this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=35667&page=1&pp=25 .

I'll post the rebuttal letter as soon as it's done. The rebuttal is being drafted by Wild at Heart Legal Defence Association. If you follow the links to the Wild at Heart Legal Defence Association in the first post and then search "hushan" or "fairy pitta", quite a bit of info will come up.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back