Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 11:41   #1
ARTHUR BISHOP

+3, Sk. Bk. ? DO You DRAW WITH.

Shrike & Avocet. Pen & ink. Tried out a Rotoring pen with these two. Could not get on with it.To scratchy , had to be kept upright. Not fluid enough for me. I will keep to my dip pen with a fine point nib. Puffin in Watercolour,must have been breezy that day. Leaning backwards holding on with the tips of its toes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010410.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	69829  Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010408.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	69830  Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010398.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	69831  

Last edited by ARTHUR BISHOP : Monday 22nd January 2007 at 13:19.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 12:11   #2
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTHUR BISHOP
Shrike & Avocet. Pen & ink. Tried out a Rotoring pen. Could not get on with it.To scratchy , had to be kept upright. Not fluid enough for me. I will keep to my dip pen with a fine point nib. Puffin in Watercolour,must have been breezy that day. Leaning backwards holding on with the tips of its toes.
You are not alone in struggling with rotoring pens- I've tried them now and again and exactly as you say- too scratchy. I wonder what they are used for-someone must get on OK with them!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 13:23   #3
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble
You are not alone in struggling with rotoring pens- I've tried them now and again and exactly as you say- too scratchy. I wonder what they are used for-someone must get on OK with them!
Rotring pens were used by architects and designers drawing up plans etc. I used to use them in my job as a studio manager in an advertising agency for keylines etc. I don't know how much they get used these days though, computers have pretty much superceded them.

For drawing I would often use rotrings for 'pointilism' effects, it took forever but gave some good results.

Woody
Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 13:23   #4
ARTHUR BISHOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble
I think Draughtsmen use them ,they are good if you want to do a straight line and dots. Arthur

Last edited by ARTHUR BISHOP : Monday 22nd January 2007 at 13:26.

Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 16:13   #5
Bec64

Arthur, I love the Avocet - beautifully drawn, whether or not you had difficulty with the pen, I think the final effect works really well.
Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 17:03   #6
ARTHUR BISHOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec64
Arthur, I love the Avocet - beautifully drawn, whether or not you had difficulty with the pen, I think the final effect works really well.
Thanks I love the detail in yours too. Arthur

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 21:46   #7
buzzard12

Gotta sat I love rotring pens! Months of my life have passd me be as I lost myself in endless stippling, dots, dots and more dots. Has a hypnotic, trance like effect on me!
Great for detail though time consuming. Have a portfolio of these back in dublin, stored away, unfortunatly not close to hand..

Have started painting Tim by the way....!
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:04   #8
deborah4

Hi Arthur

Love your work. Used to use pen and ink, but gone back to drawing board with pencils now, problem is I like a fine point and have to keep sharpening them every few minutes!

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:44   #9
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12
Gotta sat I love rotring pens! Months of my life have passd me be as I lost myself in endless stippling, dots, dots and more dots. Has a hypnotic, trance like effect on me!
Great for detail though time consuming. Have a portfolio of these back in dublin, stored away, unfortunatly not close to hand..

Have started painting Tim by the way....!
I hope you will post on this site first, Alan! - Getting quite excited (not meant to be putting you under any pressure, just would love to see how your drawing technique translates into full colour). All the best - Tim.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: