Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 11th January 2003, 20:49   #1
T0ny
Okillre Member

Spring is on its way

And that's official, folks. I was walking along one of our many lanes this morning, when a Mistle Thrush gave an alarm call and flew across the road in front of me, then swooped up to perch at the top of an old Yew tree. I watched and listened enthralled as he gave his full repertoire of song, trying to attract a mate. Then a little further on, in a grove of trees by the stream, a Great Spotted Woodpecker was drumming for a good (good ? Superb !) ten minutes, with another (presumably female, although I couldn't get good enough views) prospecting the trees for nest holes.

Tony
Old Saturday 11th January 2003, 20:53   #2
monkeyman
Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.

Is it all a false alarm?

Just before the cold snap, two magpies started nest building in one of the lime trees in our road and the hedge sparrow started singing in the back garden fro the top of the (small) sycamore!

I shall depart tomorrow to a place that I know of where woodpeckers abound and listen intently!
Old Saturday 11th January 2003, 21:52   #3
Gaye Horn

We too have noticed mating behaviours in the avian world.. a bit early but the weather is really warm here for this time of year.. that may explain it.. we have out beloved magpies out back and they are displaying some rather interesting behaviours too. My Orphan Maggie will have nothing whatsoever to do with the big male from another clan and she is adamant about that.. he is trying to woo her though...

Old Saturday 11th January 2003, 22:00   #4
T0ny
Okillre Member

Oddly enough, Gaye, this was the coldest morning so far this winter -3C when I went out. Maybe the males just want to find a way to keep warm !

Tony
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: