• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HummingBird Tink has 2 eggs - see her web cam (1 Viewer)

SimiTink

Hello everyone,

My beautiful Anna's hummingbird has a nest with 2 eggs in a bush under my front porch. She has been diligently sitting on them and probably has less than a week to go before her babies come. I am sharing her with everyone so come and visit:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hummingbird-bamboo-cam

The chat is open to anyone, but please keep your comments nice and polite. Thank you!

:loveme:

I've been trying for years to have hummingbirds nest in my yard. They just drink my nectar and take the nesting material I leave out. That's gratitude for you. |=@|

Congratulation and thanks for sharing.

We also have 3 feeders that we have to replenish every other day. It's a lot of work but we enjoy it.

This year my husband and I were keeping our eyes out for new nests and in a grove of bamboo trees (12 ft up) there was this nest with 2 eggs in it. We shared the web cam there too - bamboo was not the steadiest place to put a cam, but we were careful. Only one egg hatched after all her hard work.

This nest is a lot more secure but lots of traffic from humans (only about 4ft above the ground). I think you just need to take your time looking for nests. They do go back to the same place or at least the same area. And what I've noticed is they don't mind taking over a nest already built. So I'd suggest you take a morning and an afternoon and think like a hummer. They will not build their nest too far inside of a tree or bush. They like easy access and somewhat covered. When you get near their nest, they will "dive bomb" you and chase you away. That's when you just sit back and observe.

They will not build their nest too close to the food source, but close enough to go back and forth.

Good luck.

Hummingbird Tink's Web Cam Model

I am using Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 which I purchased from Amazon (no shipping, no tax).

It's really very easy to set up and if your computer supports an HD USB port, the picture would have been better, mine doesn't but as you can see it's really very clear. The cam also picks up every little noise so be careful what you say around these cams ;)

Hint: I usually just install the driver that comes with the cam and then I go to Logitech site and gets the most updated driver for the cam.

Cheers,
SimiTink

BTW - Tink will probably have her babies on the 21st or 22nd - so be there!

Restless Tink getting ready for hatching

Our Anna's Hummingbird Tink has been doing a lot of dancing on her nest. We are at day 17th and she's supposed to be hatching those eggs between 16-18 days, so we're hoping to see the little ones to peek out their fuzzy heads anytime now.

Come join the fun and visit the link up top.

2nd chicked hatched at 5:07PM - PDT 5/28/2012

This was so awesome - the second chick took its time hatching. I recorded the event from the time I noticed the beak trying to poke its way out of the egg. Mama Tink finally came into the nest at 20:00 and helped the 2nd baby out.

The first chick hatched very quickly. I saw the the egg broke into 2 pieces and bam - the 1st chick was out.

I also recorded the first feeding of the babies.

So, so, precious.
SimiTink

Bert & Ernie - Tink's twins updates - 9 days to fledge time

Good Morning from Tink's nest.

Bert and Ernie have filled out. They used to be as small as jelly beans and could hardly be seen in their nest. The nest is now comfortably cozy and full. They have not opened their eyes and are now 12 days old. It's hard to believe that in just a few days they will have to develop all their skills and be able to fledge from their nest in 9 days!

Come and visit.
SimiTink

Update: Tink's babies are ready to fledge

Happy Father's Day to all dads:kiss:

Updates:

Bert and Ernie are 20 days old today. The nest is becoming too small for these two cuties. Their eyes are wide open and have been practicing for their upcoming fledging.

The web cam suffers from disconnects (more often that we'd like) from ustream - but we try to bring the connection back up so if you notice that you are not getting a live feed, please be patient and come back later.

We don't have many more days with these little hummingbirds and we're enjoying the few days we have. It has been fun sharing this experience with everyone.

Thanks for all the visits.
SimiTink

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back