Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 16th March 2014, 00:04   #76
L.M.

Field Evaluation

Hey Everyone..Just back from the range

The match was @ 600 yard Targets. ( 85 degrees / Wind N at 14 mph gusting to 21 mph: Range flags)

Target Butts, were @ : " 200 / 300 / 600 yards / 1000 yards ".

I focused on the " Scoring Ring Numbers ", to determine " How Bright & How Clearly " , I could read the Scoring Numbers " 10 - 7 " @ 600 yards.
( 7, 8 , 9 : 1 1/2 inches H x 1 inch W )

Photo of Locking Ring & inserting " Eyepiece " example.

There was a bit of wiggle/play, even after tightening the locking ring.

The " Long Eye Relief Eyepiece " was a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't able to properly focus, without having to crunch against the rubber eye cup spacer. I had to remove the rubber portion, to get a clear, & consistent eye relief.

With Rubber eyecup

Without Rubber eyecup.

I eventual figured out a way to fold down ( half sized ) the rubber eyecup, to provide the proper " Eye Relief " , without having to crunch down on rubber eyepiece portion.
Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

" IF " , I hadn't bought the " Long Eye Relief Eyepiece ", I would have been pleased with my ( Old Purchase ) " Meade Super Plossl 40mm " ( A very comfortable 30mm Eye Relief ) , which had a wider field of view, but was slightly less sharp, in reading the target scoring ring numbers.
http://store.meade.com/meade-series-...40mm-1-25.html

In my opinion , the sweet spot on the " Zoom Eyepiece " appeared to be somewhere between " 45x -56x ", more power & things start to get a bit fuzzy.

There was a club member with a "OPTOLYTH 100mm Spotting Scope "

Yup, it was much shorter & lighter !
Yup, it was clearer & brighter !

Just my two cents.

Last edited by L.M. : Sunday 16th March 2014 at 20:23.
Old Sunday 16th March 2014, 21:38   #77
Cosme

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.M. View Post

In my opinion , the sweet spot on the " Zoom Eyepiece " appeared to be somewhere between " 45x -56x ", more power & things start to get a bit fuzzy.
Hi L.M.

First of all thanks for your review

I want to ask how much of that fuzzyness ... could be some due heat mirage? zoom limits?

It would be great if someday you can try a fixed eyepiece on the 67x range!

Thanks again
Old Monday 17th March 2014, 00:52   #78
L.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosme View Post
Hi L.M.

First of all thanks for your review

I want to ask how much of that fuzzyness ... could be some due heat mirage? zoom limits?

It would be great if someday you can try a fixed eyepiece on the 67x range!

Thanks again
I'm not sure...?

This was my first testing: Heat Mirage / Haze ( 85 degrees / Wind N at 14 mph gusting to 21 mph ), dust in the air, had to play some part with " Sharp / Clear Visibility ".

I'm sure, there was plenty of dust fog in the air, as the Shooting area creates a funnel effect ( Canyon ).

I did arrive early in the morning before daybreak. However, it was already windy @ 0630 hrs, and there weren't any object, I could objectively focus on.

I waited for the targets to be set-up ( 37 " x 37 " Black Bullseye / Light Tan paper ) and focused on the Scoring Rings numbers ( 7 , 8 , 9 : 1 1/2 " H x 1 inch W ) @ 600 yards.

For the record: I couldn't see any " .30 Caliber " Bullet holes on the paper targets.

I was able to identify a single Target & Stand @ 1000 Yards, but couldn't clearly see the Scoring Rings or numbers.

I'll be continuing my testings, to include Digital camera photos, using the " Universal Camera Adapter ", along with my current Cameras ( Nikon Coolpix 5600 / Cannon A1100IS).
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/c...universal.html

I'm not looking forward to buying a dedicated camera @ this point, or any additional " Eye Pieces " (??).

Hopefully,.. I haven't offended anyone, or taken over this thread with my postings ...?

p.s: Most of the other member were using, new & older well used " KOWA Spotting Scopes ".

A few comments/opinions:

PRO:
1." Good Quality Optics ", & comparable to the " KOWA ".
2. Brighter, than " KOWA ", in most cases.

CONS:
1. It's Huge, & too Big, to lug around.
2. Questionable on durability, & warranty, ..compared to " KOWA " service.

I heard several stories on how " KOWA " took care of them; " Fixed / Rebuilt " like new, their old well used scopes (Broken Lenses / Cracked Housing, etc.).

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Monday 17th March 2014 at 20:41.
Old Monday 17th March 2014, 11:10   #79
Cosme

Quote:
[b]

Hopefully,.. I haven't offended anyone, or taken over this thread with my postings ...?
No way sir ... this a forum and a regal thread, in fact, the more info you post the better
Old Monday 17th March 2014, 12:54   #80
L.M.

Celestron M2 100 ED Review

I was a bit concerned.. I've been posting photos & activities, that might ruffle a few feathers (Competitive Shooting?), since its not directly related to " Bird & Birding " @ this point in my testings.

Thanks

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Monday 17th March 2014 at 13:00.
Old Monday 17th March 2014, 13:18   #81
Cosme

Quote:
I was a bit concerned.. I've been posting photos & activities, that might ruffle a few feathers (Competitive Shooting?), since its not directly related to " Bird & Birding " @ this point in my testings.

Thanks

L.M.
Oh, no problem, most of us look at astro or shooting sources sometimes too , bullets holes is a very good resolution test, for example. Everything you can share of the scope is always welcomed.
Old Friday 21st March 2014, 22:30   #82
L.M.

Hey Everyone,

I wasn't satisfied with the " Black Carrying " case, which didn't have much padding, and wasn't designed to keep on for protection while in use.

So, I ordered a " Better " carrying case, thats fits, with more padding & velcro tabs.

Velcro tabs near eyepiece, and Objective, to keep case material open & folded over, while in use.

Creedmoor Sports, Spotting Scope Covers
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...ope_Cover.html

" Don't see your scope? Please choose "other" and add a note at checkout with information about your scope. We'll need the length, brand, type, angled or straight and objective lens to help us. We have several patterns and most scopes will fit in one of the covers we make. (Note: 100mm scope covers are $5 additional) "

L.M.
Old Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:28   #83
L.M.

Spotting Scope Head

By the way !

The" Eliseo Spotting Scope Head " worked great !

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-gary-eliseo/

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: