• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyoming and nearby trip advice (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Hi, we have only about a month to go till our trip to Colorado/Wyoming/South Dakota and I should be grateful if anyone could fill in some likely good birds and mammals to see along the following route stretches:

Rocky Mountain National Park

Beartooth Pass

Chief Joseph Scenic Highway

Between Cody and Buffalo (please specify which route when giving advice!)

Also if anyone has up to date information on Wolf sightings in Yellowstone that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

John

A few places in RMNP I`ve birded at include; Trail Ridge Road, the highest paved road in the US is the place for White-tailed Ptarmigan. Medicine Bow Curve which is just past the Alpine Visitor Centre is where I`ve seen them, although they can take some searching.Also Bighorn Sheep here and Buff-bellied Pipits and Horned larks.To the south-east of the Visitor Centre is an area called Lava Cliffs, this can be a good site for Brown-capped Rosy Finch.Further west along the road past the Continental Divide towards Lake Irene, the wooded areas are good for Pine Grosbeak, Clark`s Nutcracker, Townsend`s Solitaire and Gray Jay. Lake Estes in Estes Park is an easy birding area with some good migrant traps.I`ve seen MacGillivray`s Warbler and Sage Thrasher there in August.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back