• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

I've been looking but that's because I'm down south on holiday for a week. Not sure if it's of any interest but there was a completely knackered looking purple sandpiper on the beach at Charmouth today.

Mike

Thanks for replying Mike, looks like there aren't many people using this thread anymore, shame it's been a good source of info over the years.

Good to know the Purple Sandpipers are back, will check for our local winterers over the next week, also had my 1st Jack Snipe of autumn at Lytchett Fields today

Regards

Hi
I still come in and read new posts but I'm not an active "birder" anymore really. Still take an interest though and any really local interest I might follow up on.

Thought I'd put a message on here as I haven't posted in a while. There was a drake Lesser Scaup found at Longham Lakes yesterday and has still been present all day today. Pics from yesterday where it was close on North lake although in poor light.

Just wondered if many people still read this thread, As i said I haven't posted in a while although I do still look in regularly and to be honest there aren't many posts to read!

Maybe if you are still looking at this you could post a reply on here, and I'll try to post a bit more going forward

Ian
Hi Ian
Could not reply before as laptop crashed and could not remember password. I still look on here to see if anyone as posted and as you as your post was the first for a while. Lets try snd keep it going as it was good to know what id about in the county. Good to see you at Longham on the Monday evening when the Lesser Scaup first turned up. Martin

Thanks guys , nice to know there are a few people still looking at the thread.

Did a dusk visit to Hatch Pond yesterday, alas no Bittern! Wonder if they will ever return to winter here. The Magpie roost is still going strong though with 138 birds.

Ian

Attachments

• 28014magp.JPG
    28014magp.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 43
Holmebride, East Stoke

A Pink-footed Goose was found yesterday with the Mute Swans in the fields west of Holmebridge, it was still present this morning but unfortunately flew high west just before 10am. Worth keeping an eye out here in case it returns. Fairly rare bird for Poole Harbour

Attachments

• 28094Pink.JPG
    28094Pink.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 28095Pink.JPG
    28095Pink.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 50
A Pink-footed Goose was found yesterday with the Mute Swans in the fields west of Holmebridge, it was still present this morning but unfortunately flew high west just before 10am. Worth keeping an eye out here in case it returns. Fairly rare bird for Poole Harbour
Be nice to see one at Longham. Where is Holmbridge? Do turn off at the round about before going over bridge over the railway? Be good to get it on my Dorset List

Be nice to see one at Longham. Where is Holmbridge? Do turn off at the round about before going over bridge over the railway? Be good to get it on my Dorset List[/QUOTE

Coming from Sandford take bypass around Wareham instead of going through Wareham, at next Roundabout take 3rd exit heading towards Dorchester. After nearly a mile you'll see a village sign for East Stoke take next left and go across the railway crossing , almost immediately you'll see the old Holmebridge running alongside parallel to the road on the right, Park here and scan the fields for the swans, it's normally with the swans

Ian

Be nice to see one at Longham. Where is Holmbridge? Do turn off at the round about before going over bridge over the railway? Be good to get it on my Dorset List[/QUOTE

Coming from Sandford take bypass around Wareham instead of going through Wareham, at next Roundabout take 3rd exit heading towards Dorchester. After nearly a mile you'll see a village sign for East Stoke take next left and go across the railway crossing , almost immediately you'll see the old Holmebridge running alongside parallel to the road on the right, Park here and scan the fields for the swans, it's normally with the swans

Ian

Thanks Ian for the information.
Martin

A Peregrine being shoo-ed off its pylon perch by a Raven was the best on patch this morning. No Crossbill today, Parrot or otherwise, but keeping 'em peeled....

Really must post here more often - not really looked at BirdForum for a while now, mostly tweeting, but BF is more "permanent" and a useful way of catching up, all too easy to miss a tweet.

Bere Heath Crossbill and Lytchett Fields Golden Plover

Did a visit to Bere Heath, Wareham Forest to grill the Common Crossbill. Unfortunately couldn't find a Parrot but there were exceptional numbers of Common Crossbill with c100 seen.

Had a call in the afternoon to say there were 2 Golden Plover settled with Lapwing and Teal on Lytchett Fields. Luckily still there when I arrived 30 mins later, only my second ever record for Lytchett, the previous record were 3 flying over last year

Attachments

• 28518Xbil.JPG
    28518Xbil.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 28522Xbill.JPG
    28522Xbill.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 28526Xbil.JPG
    28526Xbil.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 28531GoPl.JPG
    28531GoPl.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 43
Did a visit to Bere Heath, Wareham Forest to grill the Common Crossbill. Unfortunately couldn't find a Parrot but there were exceptional numbers of Common Crossbill with c100 seen.

Had a call in the afternoon to say there were 2 Golden Plover settled with Lapwing and Teal on Lytchett Fields. Luckily still there when I arrived 30 mins later, only my second ever record for Lytchett, the previous record were 3 flying over last year
Nice one with the Golden Plovers, not seen Golden Plover myself .
Great number of Crossbill seen, must be a Parrot somewhere out there.
Martin

Goldeneye, Poole Park

Numbers starting to build up on the main lake, 8 at the start of this week and still 5 showing well yesterday

Attachments

• 28665GE.JPG
    28665GE.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 28667GE.JPG
    28667GE.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 28668GE.JPG
    28668GE.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 28671GE.JPG
    28671GE.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 28645GE.JPG
    28645GE.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 40
Sunday Afternoon I went down to Poole Park to see the Great Northern Diver that as been spending some time on the main boating lake.

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_171131.jpg
    IMG_20180107_171131.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 45
Great Northern Diver still showing well in Poole Park 13th January. Weather not great, bird definitely Great.

John

Attachments

• 20180113 (14)_Great_Northern_Diver.JPG
    20180113 (14)_Great_Northern_Diver.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180113 (21)_Great_Northern_Diver.JPG
    20180113 (21)_Great_Northern_Diver.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back