• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt 2nd-9th February (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Just back from a super holiday in Egypt - except for getting a finger crushed between two boats at Aswan and visiting hospital - on which we had a good number of birds. The most interesting one to me was a great painted snipe which we saw from the bridge to the Jolie Ville hotel on Crocodile Island. We had to wait until we got home to identify it as we couldn't find its like in the Lars Johnssen book. Could just remember this dumpy bird with a light coloured band round its chest, which constantly bobbed as it fed at the edge of the reeds.

One or two LBJs and bigger BJs will remain forever unidentified I'm afraid.

Superb spur-winged plovers in the fields surrounding the hotel. Black-shouldered kite in evidence on the two occasions we visited - on our first and last days of the holiday.

Bob's favourite was a sunbird seen in the bushes on the hotel side of the bridge - and another unidentified bird which someone may be able to help with was in the same tree as the Nile sunbird - about the same size but it was yellow underneath and had a tail similar to a bee-eater with a long feather (looked up bee-eaters but nothing with this same colouring). A blue-throat was nearby. I thought at first it was a blackbird.

Green bee-eaters were seen frequently, as were gull-billed terns.

There were more rats in evidence on the banks of the river than I remember on previous visits.

We loved the pied kingfishers seen both on the island and from the garden of our hotel in Luxor.

These are a few of the many highlights of our week in Egypt, staying at the Sofitel in Karnak. I'll give a complete list of the birds seen shortly.

... another unidentified bird which someone may be able to help with was in the same tree as the Nile sunbird - about the same size but it was yellow underneath and had a tail similar to a bee-eater with a long feather (looked up bee-eaters but nothing with this same colouring).

Was it not a male Nile Valley Sunbird in breeding plumage? Description seems spot on - yellow underneath, same size, long central tail feather, ....

If you say so Jos. I thought we had the dark irridiscent one down as a male - so that was a female was it? Don't think it shows this in the Collins but I may be wrong. Thanks for that - Bob will be pleased we've got that sorted.

Now about these little brown jobbies....................!!

Sandra

Hi Sandra,
I'm contemplating a last minute holiday and Gambia comes up very well priced. Only Egypt can compete. I don't think the birding will be that good at Sharm and the Red Sea so how would you rate the Nile Valley ?

Hi Sandra,
I'm contemplating a last minute holiday and Gambia comes up very well priced. Only Egypt can compete. I don't think the birding will be that good at Sharm and the Red Sea so how would you rate the Nile Valley ?

We saw most birds on Crocodile Island, in the grounds of the Jolie Ville Hotel - maybe c30 species. We stayed in Luxor and had a few on the banks and islands of the Nile. But the purpose of the holiday was to visit the temples & tombs etc. so not really a birding holiday. I would have thought Gambia was a better bet - but we really didn't try very hard at birding so might have got more if we had. I'll write a list of birds seen when I have the info near me.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Gambia will certainly produce far more birds, but Egypt is also well worth a visit - even in just the main tourist areas, birding can be good - in addition to the highlights Sandra mentions, the agricultural fields along the Nile, eg upstream of Luxor, can produce many birds, including White-tailed Plover, etc. Down at Aswan, very good birding and if you can get to Abu Simbel, very often Western Palearctic rarities to be found, such as African Pied Wagtail, Pink-backed Pelican, etc, etc.
In the Cairo area, Senegal Thick-knee and Senegal Coucal can be found (esp at an oasis south-west of the capital), Great Black-headed Gulls winter in the northern extremes of the city.

Thanks for the replies. Having been to the Gambia last year and found a cracking hotel and location we have decided to go back again as the price is very, very good !
However, I like going to different places so it's interesting to read reports about other areas, particularly to places that are on the package tour circuit as it makes everything so much more affordable.

List of birds seen when we were staying in Luxor. Most were in the grounds and surrounds of the Jolie Ville hotel on Crocodile Island.

Spur winged plover
Grey wagtail
Pied wagtail
Swift
Swallow
House martin
Hooded crow
Kestrel
Black kite
Black shouldered kite
House sparrow
Spanish sparrow (?)
Little egret
Cattle egret
Zitting cisticola
Reed warbler
Glossy ibis
Common bulbul
Dove - everywhere
Shoveller
Redshank
Pied kingfisher
Grey heron
Purple heron
Squacco heron
Cormorant
Little green bee eater
Crested lark
Black-headed gull(?) Gull billed tern
Hoopoe
Willow warbler
Chiff chaff
Rock dove
Pallid swift
Crag/rock martin
Raven
Common buzzard
Red kite
Peregrine
(eagle species)
Bluethroat
Nile sunbird
Purple gallinule
Painted snipe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back