• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (2 Viewers)

Evening All,

Tonight on the reserve was warm, and about time too. Hobby and Barn Owl over at 9:15pm, were wonderful as usual.

My attention was dominated by an estimated count of 1201 Jack-Daws. A truly amazing sight, perhaps the biggest Jack-Daw roost in the SouthWest, do any of you birders know if this would be anywhere close?

Would any of you locals like to come along and witness this spectacle, one suitable dry evening, to optimise visibility. Drive through Colyton and head up the hill towards Whitford and Shute, take a sharp left towards Shute, and then over the railway bridge turn immediately and sharply right, go past the garage and Lyme Bay Winery, and as you come into Whitford, our place is the first bungalow you see on the left hand side, raised above the road. If you are unsure upon arrival, look for the "Woodpeckers" sign above the door.

Hopefully the picture below might encourage you to come across. :t:

PM if you're going to head over.

Happy Birding,

Simon & Sue Wakely.

Attachments

• 100_1030 - editresize.jpg
    100_1030 - editresize.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 79
One of my favourite types of birding this morning. Seawatching yes, but I call it 'vis mig' seawatching. Not expecting Shearwaters/Skuas/Petrels etc, but watching 'non oceanic' birds migrating over the sea.

I watched 07:40 - 09:20 from Spot On and notched up (all west unless states): 3 Little Egrets (in/off, the back bird looked noticable smaller but a quick look up the estuary soon after revealed just Little Egrets), 49 Common Scoters, 3 Sanderling (my first of the autumn), 3 Whimbrel (1 in/off), 2 Curlew, 82 Black-headed Gulls (incl c30 juvs), 1 Med Gull (smart adult), 1 Kittiwake, 3 auk sp. and 1 Guillemot (on sea). Behind me Swifts were constantly trickling through west.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, last night whilst waiting for the Barn Owl at the farm gate a calling Snipe flew over (heading downriver), yet another autumn first!

Last edited:
Brightened up and Spotted Flycatcher are surely mutually exclusive!

Not on the planet I'm orbiting they're not!

I haven't been well for a couple of days but I managed a quick trip to Bruckland Ponds this afternoon, dragonfly numbers were a bit low due to the poor weather we've been having of late. There were several Small Red-eyed Damselflies though, 'making hay while the sun shines' .

Earlier I had time for a quick look along the lower estuary as far as Coronation Corner. There were 3 Whimbrels 2 Common Sandpipers and 3 Mediterranean Gulls (2 second summers and an adult).

I haven't attached any piccies for a while, so here's some:

1) It's all action for the SREDs
2) A rare occurrence! ( I was actually warm enough to remove my fleece today!!)
3) a Second summer Med Gull.
4) All three Med Gulls in this one - well just!
5) A Med Gull and a Whimbrel. Exciting stuff!

Attachments

• sreds.jpg
    sreds.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 67584.jpg
    67584.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 84
  • medgull 2nd summer.jpg
    medgull 2nd summer.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 3meds.jpg
    3meds.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 68
  • second summer med and whimbrel.jpg
    second summer med and whimbrel.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 61
Not on the planet I'm orbiting they're not!

My sentiments exactly! They may not be gaudy, but Spotted Flycatchers brighten up the day for several reasons:

1. They have a cheerful, outgoing disposition - never skulking.
2. They look great on Beer Head fence lines, always raising the hope of something rarer.
3. Every 365/366 days they are a year tick.

I'm still looking forward to one brightening my day for reason 3 (probably fulfilling reason 2 at the same time, the way I'm going!)

Very nice Med Gulls Karen. Unfortunately the estuary mud appears to be empty of them every time I've looked lately. Shame about the wind direction!

I've managed no more than 30 mins of uneventful birding in the last 2 days, but will shamelessly take this opportunity to invite readers to try their ID skills on my blog (click on link below) where a testing skua awaits your attention.

Evening All,

Only one thing to report from the reserve for this evening, and wonderful it was. Sue and I were sat outside at 10pm, and a family of Tawny Owls invaded the garden, we both sat there laughing at the youngsters calls.

An ID challenge with a difference; we've posted a picture of some feathers we've found on the reserve, can you work out which is the rogue feather, and identify all of them?

Happy Birding,
Simon & Sue Wakely. :t:

P.S. Hoping to find something different soon.

Attachments

• 100_1029 - edit.jpg
    100_1029 - edit.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 90
A look about this morning showed the same suspects on offer, with the only obvious increase being with Common Sands. Colyford Commons highlights were three Green Woodpeckers and a Teal, four each of Dunlin and Blackwit remain on the scrape.

Worked all day yesterday, but on my arrival home this Popular Hawkmoth was awaiting me; it was massive and had a belly I'd be proud of! And whilst on the subject of moths, there have been good numbers of Scarlet Tiger Moths feeding behind the beach huts on the west walk of Seaton Seafront. Attached is a photo taken by Phil Hutt, hope he doesn't mind me using it!

Attachments

• Popular-Hawkmoth.jpg
    Popular-Hawkmoth.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
  • SEATON_030708_039ER.jpg
    SEATON_030708_039ER.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
An ID challenge with a difference; we've posted a picture of some feathers we've found on the reserve, can you work out which is the rogue feather, and identify all of them?

I'll have a go. Coming down from the top (on the left) how about Tawny Owl, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay and Barn Owl? The odd one out must be that funny looking job on the right, which reminds me of Ostrich a bit, but I guess must be a wee bit small for that...? A nice collection for a garden, by the way! :t:

I had a check of the river before breakfast - not too many gulls, and still no decked Meds for me yet. However, there were quite a few Common Sands around - I counted 14, including from the Farm Gate. Also 4 Blackwits, a Greenshank and 6 Dunlin were notable. Best of all, a juvenile Water Rail from the Farm Gate. It was fully grown, so I'm hoping for a second brood, with the chance of little black fluffy things at a future date.

Almost forgot. Bumped into Steve this morning, who confirmed that the mystery skua on the 'notquitescilly' blog is as tricky as I hoped it would be...|=)|

Last edited:
Evening All,

Sue and I are more than delighted to report our fourth Cuckoo of the year. Our persistent evening birding was rewarded, but unfortunately, we can't build our local's hopes up of the chance of seeing one, as it flew west at 8:15. Cuckoo's are, as we are well aware, are very scarce in the Southwest, or is it that birders don't sit for hours in the evening, seven days a week, like Sue and I do. Don't expect these beauties to land on your plate, you have to be very patient and vigilant at the right time of year. The Tawny Owl family invaded the garden this evening again at 10pm, and we were rewarded with great views as they flew over our bungalow.

Hobbies calling but not sighted. Barn Owls calling at 10:15.

Wonderful birding from Whitford,
Simon & Sue Wakely. :t:

edit;P.S. thanks Gav for the effort, you were along the right lines with the ostrich, but it was actually an emu feather, which we retrieved from a bird sanctuary in Tunisia. And just so you know, you were quite right on all of the other ones.

Last edited:
We've been over-due a Yellow-legged Gull really, scanning the Gull flocks have drawn a blank over the past couple of weeks - til now, with a nice juv off Coronation Corner early afternoon. We haven't really had many juv large Gulls at all, tho it seems there's been a recent increase. Glad to say it did rather stick out like a sore thumb, especially in flight with its brilliant white uppertail and dark inner primaries, it was a nice size too sporting a rather hefty bill. Also in the flock three juv Lesser Black-backs (I think my first this year).

I sent the texts out and waited with it for 15 mins, but no-one dropped by for a look |=(|

Last edited:
I sent the texts out and waited with it for 15 mins, but no-one dropped by for a look |=(|

Sorry! I was up on Axe Cliff getting rained on. I had a look on the way home but couldn't see one, but then I never can!! A bit easier for me was another lovely Mediterranean Gull which I couldn't help taking a few snaps of. They were facing the right way today.|=)|

On Axe Cliff I stumbled upon a young Stoat locked in mortal combat with a fully grown Brown Rat!! The Stoat noticed me before I could get my camera out and sped off into the hedge. The Rat , wounded around the head, staggered off into the crops. My half-blind (although I now think he must be totally blind) terrier had ran straight passed them!! He could smell the rat and headed off into the crops after it, he was in there for 10 minutes or more but needless to say, didn't catch it. One very lucky rat!! (Well lucky to have escaped, not so lucky to have been chewed by a stoat and chased for ages by a terrier! :eek!:)

I visited Colyford Common at high tide this morning. Dunlin numbers had increased a bit with 14 being the most I counted. Also 6 Common Sands, 2 Greensands, 2 Blackwits and two Greenshanks. I foolishly tried to digiscope one of these even though it was on the main scrape. The light was favourable but the bird just wouldn't keep still. I've attached my best effort, a breathtaking bath-time action shot no less!! At least part of it's in focus. :king:

EDIT: Just back after nipping up to Coronation Corner to see another Juvenile YLG after a call from Gav.:)t:). I just managed to get it in my scope as it legged it along the mud then took off and flew off out to sea. Great flight views though! |=)|

Off to work now where the only birds I'll be seeing are chickens.... cooked ones :-C

Attachments

• med andbhg.jpg
    med andbhg.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 79
  • med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 86
  • bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
We've been over-due a Yellow-legged Gull really, scanning the Gull flocks have drawn a blank over the past couple of weeks - til now, with a nice juv off Coronation Corner early afternoon. We haven't really had many juv large Gulls at all, tho it seems there's been a recent increase. Glad to say it did rather stick out like a soar thumb, especially in flight with its brilliant white uppertail and dark inner primaries, it was a nice size too sporting a rather hefty bill. Also in the flock three juv Lesser Black-backs (I think my first this year).

I think I might need to go to Soar to see what a thumb looks like there. ;)

Hope the YLG sticks around tomorrow. Paying a visit to Frydays and maybe some birding if I can be bothered. :eat:

Sorry! I was up on Axe Cliff getting rained on...

...and I had my phone on 'silent' - clearly I don't wish to know about good birds turning up! :brains:

Thanks for trying though Steve!

I eventually saw the message and had a look over an hour later. No YLGs on view. Half hour later I had another try and eventually found one on the spit N of Coronation Corner. Not as white about the head as some, but pretty distinctive nonetheless. Attached is a fairly pleasing shot of the wing pattern (note lack of pale inner primary panel). I suspect this is a different bird to the one Steve had. Seemed to be far more gulls around today, so hopefully a few more YLGs will be appearing now...

Some other shots etc on the shamelessly plugged blog........ |=)|

Attachments

• 2008_0718YLG0040.jpg
    2008_0718YLG0040.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I think I might need to go to Soar to see what a thumb looks like there.

Hahahaha, nice spot! Edited!!!

Some cracking photos on Gavs blog, good enough to say it looks exactly the same as the one I saw. But as Gav has pointed out to me, this can only mean we've had twins!

Early wake up this morning for a good look about the river. Pretty much the same stuff, with an adult Common Gull being the only 'new' slight oddity (though already my third of the autumn!). Other totals include: 2 Lapwing, 12 Dunlin, 12 Common Sands, 4 Green Sands, 2 Blackwits and a Teal. Also counted well over 300 Black-headed Gulls on the estuary, with 245 on Colyford Scrape alone! Seemed to be lots of young Grey Herons about this morning, at least six at Colyford Common.

EDIT: Another look along the estuary before work at 1pm revealed two more Blackwits, but best of all, a Hobby chasing Swallows over Axmouth; though it didn't take long for it to give up and retire in a tree! I spent a good while scoping the Gulls, but no hint of any quality.

Last edited:
Worked til 4 today, but early evening I had some time out. The river revealed an adult Med Gull, but the best came from Seaton Marshes. The Borrow Pit duck flock contained a female Shoveler and an eclipse drake Tufty! After dinner nipped back out for a look from the farm gate. I could see 9 Lapwing, 9 Dunlin, 5 Green Sands, 5 Common Sands and a Blackwit on the scrape along with a few juv Little Egrets and a Teal; there were probably half a dozen Pecs hiding in the ruts!!

Attachments

• Tufti-July-distant.jpg
    Tufti-July-distant.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Tufti-July.jpg
    Tufti-July.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Sorry this is a bit late. Visited Colyford Common yesterday morning 7.45 - 9.00 leaving the rest of the day to enjoy the beach with my good lady wife!
Maximum counts of green sandpipers was 5 and common sandpipers 4, dunlin 6, lapwing 6curlew 10, redshank 21, oystercatcher 2 and blackwit 1. Plenty of black headed gulls - c450 - with one great black backed gull and a couple of herring gulls. A kingfisher flew in front of the hide and there was a lot of activity in the bushes to the right of the hide. There were juveniles of blue tit, great tit, goldfinch, greenfinch, whitethroat, stonechat and woodpigeon. Little egret count was 6 including 1 juvenile plus 2 grey herons. Finally a female kestrel was hunting over the common and a raven flew overhead.

The beach did produce a couple of nice surprises. A juvenile razorbill was fishing offshore and a juvenile ringed plover flew in off the sea and landed on the water's edge and stayed preening for a while before flying off along the beach.

No birding til tonight with a trip to Colyford Common. The juv Little Ringed Plover Ian M found earlier was showing well on the small scrape in front of the hide. For about 40 mins it was doing a superb impression of a Stone Curlew (see pic 3!), but it finally got its arse in to gear, called a few times and started feeding at close range. Birds on the main scrape included: 2 Lapwing, 1 Blackwit, 1 Whimbrel, 42 Redshank, 5 Green Sands, 7 Common Sands and 8 Dunlin. All the same stuff really, that was until a flock of 5 Shoveler flew in (could only fit 3 in a photo though!). The single Shoveler was still on the Borrow Pit an hour before, but no sign of the Tufty. Ending on a low note, 28 Canada Geese have invaided the valley, with 24 on Colyford Marsh and 4 on the estuary...pants!

Attached are a few pics, and a video of the LRP can be found here.

Attachments

• LRP-juv.jpg
    LRP-juv.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 71
  • LRP-juv2.jpg
    LRP-juv2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 69
  • LRP-juv3.jpg
    LRP-juv3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Shoveler.jpg
    Shoveler.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 75
  • LRP-juv4.jpg
    LRP-juv4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Nothing much to add from me after two visits to Colyford Common today, except that a Hobby was hunting over the scrape this morning and there were a few more Common Sandpipers (10). Hoping to see the Barn Owl this evening, Gav and I waited until it was almost dark. It stayed put in it's box at least until we'd left ours! Lovely evening though.|=)|

I also took some snaps of the LRP. Seeing as there are a few nice ones on here already I was going to stick 'em straight in the recycle bin. Then I thought of a feeble excuse to post a couple anyway.:king: The first was taken in the morning when the low sun is directly in front of the hide and the second this evening with the sun behind. Makes a big difference, the bird was in roughly the same spot.

Attachments

• lrp colcom.jpg
    lrp colcom.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 73
  • lrp.jpg
    lrp.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back