• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red, white and black headed garden bird scotland (1 Viewer)

nemphlar99

Hello

I am complete novice bird person. This morning I saw a pair of birds around the size of a great tit feeding from a nut feeder. They had a bright red, white and black head, with dark wings with splashes of white. Can't find anything similar in my RSPB bird book. Can anyone suggest what they might be.

Will try to take a photo and post.

Thanks

Hi James,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Congratulations too on seeing the Goldies. We have them n our garden, but I have never seen them on the peanuts, more usually sunflower hearts.

Yep, Goldfinch. Well described too, with a good size comparison . . .

-----

Anyone remember the famous Radio 4 phone-in on garden birds, where someone phoned in to ask about a bird feeding at their bird table . . .

Person: "Its got a black, white and red face"

Presenter: "Ah, that'll be a Goldfinch"

Person: "I don't think so . . er, (presenter interrupts)
Presenter: "Oh, yes, certainly, they're quite regular in gardens"

Person: "But er, it can't be, er, it's ...(presenter interrupts again)
Presenter: "Oh, yes, very likely, they easily come to bird tables"

Person: "I really don't think it can be, it's four feet tall, it's standing on the ground eating the food off the top of the table"

Presenter: "Oh . . . . erm . . ."

Turned out to be an escaped Crowned Crane :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back