• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AVG Anti Virus Free 2011 and now AVG PC Tuneup 2011 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

For all the AVG'rs out there I see AVG has a new free edition of their anti-virus 2011. Fine no problem. Looking more up market now than AVG ever has in the past. No worries with that.

This is my big question to AVG people here. There is a new package called AVG Tuneup 2011. I downloaded and it cleared all sorts from my hard-drive.

This was in one go - now I try the same clear out and it insists I purchase the software for £22.00 per year (or similar)
It recommended that this software should be used once a week to clear out all sorts of unwanted files from the hard disk drive.

Anyone else getting this onslaught of sales patter from AVG and what do they think of the new AVG Tuneup 2011 software?. Is it worth investing in? love to know

Regards
Kathy
x

Like you Kathy I tried the Tuneup and it found over 200 problems with my Registry. As I only bought my computer a few months ago I decided not to "remove" these problems. Is your computer OK after you used Tuneup? Roger

Like you Kathy I tried the Tuneup and it found over 200 problems with my Registry. As I only bought my computer a few months ago I decided not to "remove" these problems. Is your computer OK after you used Tuneup? Roger

Hi Roger

Thank you for asking

The PC appears to be alright after I used tuneup. The only different thing I have noticed that I have warning cookies that have appeared within my AVG history listings.

I have a defrag programme that runs the same time, along with a daily scan with AVG at a set time every day.

I do the clean up disk manually, along with remove temporary internet files most nights, and still the AVG tuneup programme found lots of problems.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy. I use Ashampoo software to clean my computer on a weekly basis so I don't think I will take advantage of AVG's offer. Glad though that your computer is still working OK. regards Roger

I too did the clean-up and lost my windows mail connection to my virgin mail default, took two hours of angst getting it back. Pays to be careful what you dump methinks

I too did the clean-up and lost my windows mail connection to my virgin mail default, took two hours of angst getting it back. Pays to be careful what you dump methinks

Hi Peckham

Sorry to hear that.

I wonder the reason why AVG are doing what they are doing is to increase their profits by expanding to other fields of protection for PC users.

Wonder why the clean up affected you as it did and AVG tuneup has flaws that need to be addressed.

Gives us all food for thought here.

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks Kathy. I use Ashampoo software to clean my computer on a weekly basis so I don't think I will take advantage of AVG's offer. Glad though that your computer is still working OK. regards Roger

Hi Roger

Is Ashampoo a freebie, or do you pay?

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back