• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Something very big and strong trashed my grain feeder ...this feeder holds upward of 50 kg of grain and is very heavy, but some mighty brute managed to knock the roof off of it and then upend the whole thing! Also bend over a metal feeder pole nearby. Roe Deer regularly use it, but I suspect a Moose perhaps did this. Put a trip cam on it now to see if anything returns...

Maybe a Wild Boar? Or even Bear? Did you see any tracks?

Something very big and strong trashed my grain feeder ...this feeder holds upward of 50 kg of grain and is very heavy, but some mighty brute managed to knock the roof off of it and then upend the whole thing! Also bend over a metal feeder pole nearby. Roe Deer regularly use it, but I suspect a Moose perhaps did this. Put a trip cam on it now to see if anything returns...

Gosh.....I guess you spent the day shovelling up 50kg!

Maybe a Wild Boar? Or even Bear? Did you see any tracks?

Possible candidates are:

Roe Deer - regular at this feeder, but I am pretty sure they couldn't knock the feeder over, let alone bend a nearby metal pole.

Moose
- odds on favourite, presumably strong enough, plus present on my land at present (hanging out in a hazel grove jutting into marsh a few hundred metres from the feeder) - female and calf a couple of weeks ago, single female today.

Wild Boar - close runner to favourite, also presumably strong enough, rooted up turf about 50 metres from the feeder today.

Brown Bear - outsider, would be my preferred choice. Style of disturbance fits bear, but bear is not regular in Lithuania - there was one about 100 km further north earlier in the summer.

Left a camera overlooking the box for the last and predictably nothing returned, bar dozens and dozens of Jays ...and a major surprize - visiting both in the day and night, one Woodcock strutting about in front of the camera and probing the soil around the grain box!

126. Woodcock.

Also, three Lesser Spotted Eagles migrating south together today. Mammals seen today, one Red Squirrel near the peanut feeders (plus a possibly guilty Moose).

Wow, Jos! I'd better get my feeders out of aestivation.

Good idea H, I've done just that this morning, well one feeder for now. No rampaging bears or moose yet, though I did encounter a very bold young Fox on my short walk around the patch, it just kept trotting towards me (short-sighted perhaps?). An exciting but frustrating (for the Garden List) morning as two species showed for the first time this year just 50metres from the house - a Meadow Pipit, but more amazingly, my first ever Bluethroat up here, Patch tick no. 124 and no.99 for the year.Both would have been visible from the garden:eek!: The Bluethroat was chased by an aggressive Chiffchaff and has been hiding ever since. A male Linnet(a garden rare) paused to have a little sing-song, 2 Firecrests bathed in the stream and the Jays have taken a leaf out of the Nutcrackers' book, but they've started coming down from the forest for acorns rather than hazelnuts (see greedy individual in pic). I'm still seeing quite a few Nutcrackers early in the mornings, they fly over quite high, heading down to the lowland, they've had two in the middle of Geneva recently, so they clearly go quite a way for a decent 'noisette'!

Attachments

• Geai jabot plein 25.9.15.jpg
    Geai jabot plein 25.9.15.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Excellent, Richard.
Not far from here I watched a Merlin joust with a Short-eared Owl ! That would be great to see from here!

Grain feeder raided again, Wild Boar now odds on favourite - amongst Roe Deer tracks, obscured larger tracks looked good for this Wild Boar. Camera replaced to check the action over the next nights.

Southbound migration, flights of Cranes today - about 205 birds in all, three flocks drifted over in short succession, 38 birds in the first group, 95 in the second and about 70 in the last.

Sounds like you will have to build a serious fence!

Na, quite happy for them to use the feeder, but preferably without destroying or removing the roof each time - will see if it continues, then change the roof fastenings to make them not possible to lift.

My jaw dropped this am!...almost a month after Lesser Whitethroat in the same Hawthorn hedge No.73, only the 2nd bird I've seen this year, with the 1st being in EC2!

Attachments

• P1160464 (2) Garden Warbler in garden cropped..jpg
    P1160464 (2) Garden Warbler in garden cropped..jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 48
And both posed very obligingly for you too, they never sit still for me.:C
Still, we've done a synchronised jaw-drop this morning (perhaps a future Olympic event?) as I couldn't believe my ears on turning off the hedge-cutter, a Red-billed Chough was calling quite close! Unfortunately we're in the cloud again today so visibility around 50metres. I legged it up the road to where it was calling, only to hear it behind me, back towards the house - it must have flown directly over my head in the mist. It's not in with the cows, but the farmer is muck spreading which might tempt it to hang around.
So, another garden tick, the second 'heard only' of the year

93 Red-billed Chough

And both posed very obligingly for you too, they never sit still for me.:C

You must be well "Chuffed" there Richard, certainly not one that I shall see or hear "In these there parts".

I can only assume that the "posing".....is a direct result of me being "birthday-suited". :-O

You must be well "Chuffed" there Richard, certainly not one that I shall see or hear "In these there parts".

I can only assume that the "posing".....is a direct result of me being "birthday-suited". :-O

So you were (in the) 'buffed' rather than chuffed, that explains the bird's startled (or horrified) expression!

The robin is back already today ,always here every year by 1 october!
Pleased to see three black caps this morning on the tree Lilas des Indes, usually I only see one in garden , its been here since last year.
Lovely bright sunny and warm days continuing at moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back