• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Hetton Bogs

Couple of hours at the bogs:

Blue, great, willow, coal & LT Tits, reed bunting, bullfinch, chaffinch, wren, dunnock, robin, pheasant, mallard, coot, moorehen and fly over kestrel & sphawk.
Most species now coming into the station in pairs.

No sign of rails, GS woodpecker or kingfisher :C.

Attachments

• _MG_4391.jpg
    _MG_4391.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_4440.jpg
    _MG_4440.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_4487.jpg
    _MG_4487.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_4514.jpg
    _MG_4514.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_4590.jpg
    _MG_4590.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 49
Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers

Sorry Andrew (The Brainless Bird Birder) but I couldn't let the point about your thinking go without comment on the subject of being no sites for the LSW in the county. They are a very scarce bird, and out there, but you have got to get out and look for them, it may take many hours weeks or years. I appreciate at your, and others, stage of life one can't commit the time.I am retired so have plenty time on my hands.
I built up my sightings in Deepdale, & Raygill Woods, Startforth, Barnard Castle over a period of 8 years ( 1995-2002 ) cumulating in finding the nesting hole.
For you & Ben's (balvert) and others reading this, the LSW has bred as i mentioned above, also Cotherstone, and the banks of the River Greta downstream from Rutherford Bridge to the Moritt Arms by the A66. Now Rutherford Bridge is the one that crosses the Greta on your way to the Stang Forest.
Hope my article has enlightened you both.
Derek Kyle

I don't think that there is any real strongholds anywhere near here. A freind on Durham Bird Club Forum thought he saw one at Croxdale Estate not so long ago but it was unconfirmed. I don't think that there is anywhere in the County that is a really good spot for the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Potteric Carr in Doncaster has 1 pair of them :-O that's the closet place to here that I know of that has Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Here is something from Gateshead Bird Club website:
http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk/Rarebirds/Rarebird3.htm
I hope this is of some help,
Andrew Kinghorn
ps. In 2007 there where 9 recorced in the County.

Sorry Andrew (The Brainless Bird Birder)
Hello Derek nice talking to you on the Forum aswell.

For you & Ben's (balvert) and others reading this, the LSW has bred as i mentioned above, also Cotherstone, and the banks of the River Greta downstream from Rutherford Bridge to the Moritt Arms by the A66. Now Rutherford Bridge is the one that crosses the Greta on your way to the Stang Forest.
Derek Kyle
Hmmm that's interesting now we know.
thank you,
Andrew K

Last edited:
Tilery Wood/A689 this morning.

The path throught the wood to the Scout Hut is closed while it's resurfaced. had a quick look but no Crossbill today.

The feeder station held - Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Robin. A Treecreeper passed through a couple of times. A distant Nuthatch heard but not seen today.

A Little Owl on the north side of the A689 was sat sunning itself in a tree a little closer than usual but still 60-70m away.

Photos : 1. Chaffinch - 2. Coal Tit - 3. Willow Tit - 4. Marsh Tit - 5. Little Owl

Attachments

• IMG_5302ao.JPG
    IMG_5302ao.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5321ao.JPG
    IMG_5321ao.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5535ao.JPG
    IMG_5535ao.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5543ao.JPG
    IMG_5543ao.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5587ao.JPG
    IMG_5587ao.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 86
Morning all.

Just been lucky enough to buy a Swaro scope from someone in Billingham. I'll be coming over to collect it, so will probably make a day of it, and check out the birding in the area - will need to check out the scope after all ;)

So...best sites please?

Do bear in mind that I'll be in a car, and don't know the area at all, so try to make it simple.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Morning all.

Just been lucky enough to buy a Swaro scope from someone in Billingham. I'll be coming over to collect it, so will probably make a day of it, and check out the birding in the area - will need to check out the scope after all ;)

So...best sites please?

Do bear in mind that I'll be in a car, and don't know the area at all, so try to make it simple.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Lol! Just head down the A1185 Seal Sands Road towards the coast - RSPB Saltholme fully opened today plus the usual spots.
Avocet just arrived back today at Greatham Creek. Hartlepool Headland is always pretty good for waders and sea duck as well.

Lol! Just head down the A1185 Seal Sands Road towards the coast - RSPB Saltholme fully opened today plus the usual spots.
Avocet just arrived back today at Greatham Creek. Hartlepool Headland is always pretty good for waders and sea duck as well.

Thanks Ian - sounds like I timed that well :t:

The Headland, Hartlepool - 1:00pm - Med Gull, GC Grebe, Guillemot, Eider, Rock Pipit, Purple Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Knot, Ringed Plover, Shag, Cormorant. Nice to meet Bob again and thanks again for the later tip about the Avocet :t:

Newburn Bridge - Med Gull, Glaucous Gull, Oystercatcher.

Greatham Creek - Avocet upstream from road bridge where seals haul out.

Photos : 1. Med Gull (Headland) - 2. Ringed Plover - 3. Med Gull (Newburn Br) - 4. Glaucous Gull - 5. Avocet

Attachments

• IMG_5705ao.JPG
    IMG_5705ao.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5794ao.JPG
    IMG_5794ao.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5878ao.JPG
    IMG_5878ao.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5935ao.JPG
    IMG_5935ao.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6205ao.JPG
    IMG_6205ao.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 98
is it the right time for the avocet to stick around on greatham creek and prehaps breed again or is there a chance its just stopping over i never got to see them last year

thanks

DS

is it the right time for the avocet to stick around on greatham creek and prehaps breed again or is there a chance its just stopping over i never got to see them last year

thanks

DS

It may stay or it may move on. They should be returning about now but it could be one from another area just passing through - maybe even Washington WWT. Hopefully it's one of the birds from last year returning here to breed again.

It may stay or it may move on. They should be returning about now but it could be one from another area just passing through - maybe even Washington WWT. Hopefully it's one of the birds from last year returning here to breed again.

thanks ian the reason i ask is im on nights but if it was going to move on i may trade much needed sleep to go see it 8-P, il keep my eye on the tmbc sightings page, hope fully they will breed again this year.

a few pictures from crimdon dene that last couple of days being trying to get a shot of the skylarks with no luck

DS

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 78
Dark-bellied Brent, Barnacle & Scaup (f) along with several Little Egret, Goldeneye, Merlin and SEO all showing at the new RSPB Saltholme reserve today.

what is it with ship yards and peregrines...when i worked at Swan Hunters there was one wintering there...then up in Scotland on the clyde there was a pair that regularly showed up...and now ive just started down the Heerma yard on Hartlepool Headland and there was one spooking the rather large pigeon population....i`ve only ever seen two outside a ship yard...

what is it with ship yards and peregrines...when i worked at Swan Hunters there was one wintering there...then up in Scotland on the clyde there was a pair that regularly showed up...and now ive just started down the Heerma yard on Hartlepool Headland and there was one spooking the rather large pigeon population....i`ve only ever seen two outside a ship yard...

That reminds me I forgot to mention the Peregrine Falcon on the Headland early afternoon. It buzzed the pigeons on the promenade near the Med Gull and then headed south gaining height eventually veering off towards Redcar steel works.

Sorry Andrew (The Brainless Bird Birder) but I couldn't let the point about your thinking go without comment on the subject of being no sites for the LSW in the county. They are a very scarce bird, and out there, but you have got to get out and look for them, it may take many hours weeks or years. I appreciate at your, and others, stage of life one can't commit the time.I am retired so have plenty time on my hands.
I built up my sightings in Deepdale, & Raygill Woods, Startforth, Barnard Castle over a period of 8 years ( 1995-2002 ) cumulating in finding the nesting hole.
Derek Kyle

Derek thanks so much! You're very right about the perseverance it takes - for any bird let alone ones that are so scarce.

I might make a Sunday morning trip up Barnard Castle way; I'll let you know the outcome by 2017!

Derek thanks so much! You're very right about the perseverance it takes - for any bird let alone ones that are so scarce.

I might make a Sunday morning trip up Barnard Castle way; I'll let you know the outcome by 2017!
Hi according to the weather forecast its going to be very windy on Sunday not ideal weather for looking for LS Woodpeckers.Good tip when looking for LSW is to look at the outer and upper branches of trees they are rarely seen close to the trunk.Hope you see one.

Houghton Patch 09

5pr of Shelduck on the main pool at H'ton Gate in a very uneasy stand off - only one pair ever remain (well the male remains while his mate sits out of harms way down a rabbit burrow)

sub adult Med Gull (MH) on main pool at R.Meadows, also Buzzard, Siskin, Goldeneye, Mealy Redpoll, Woodcock & Tawny Owl.

2Gadwall, Buzzard, Jack Snipe at Seaton Pond

(SE / MH / CW)
Steve

Attachments

• Coot_.jpg
    Coot_.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 75
  • Med_1_.jpg
    Med_1_.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Goldeye_.jpg
    Goldeye_.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Med_zzz_.jpg
    Med_zzz_.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 84
  • gulls_.jpg
    gulls_.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
5pr of Shelduck on the main pool at H'ton Gate in a very uneasy stand off - only one pair ever remain (well the male remains while his mate sits out of harms way down a rabbit burrow)

sub adult Med Gull (MH) on main pool at R.Meadows, also Buzzard, Siskin, Goldeneye, Mealy Redpoll, Woodcock & Tawny Owl.

2Gadwall, Buzzard, Jack Snipe at Seaton Pond

(SE / MH / CW)
Steve

Cracking shots Steve. I am puzzled what does "pr" mean. I have seen birders using it I was wondering if you could tell me what it means.
cheers,
Andrew K

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back