• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (2 Viewers)

Sword Leaved Helleborines

Does anyone know if the Hampshire S.L. Helleborines have started to flower yet or has the cool weather slowed them down? - was thinking of giving it a try this weekend....

Thanks

Chris

Fly Orchid - Ophrys insectifera

Local Somerset plants starting to flower now , although not so many as in previous years.
A few pics attached - last one showing the speculum on an emerging flower as pale pink becoming blueish when fully emerged , which I'd never noticed before.

Simon M

Attachments

• _DSC4679sm.jpg
    _DSC4679sm.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 103
  • _DSC4688sm.jpg
    _DSC4688sm.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 95
  • _DSC4715sm.jpg
    _DSC4715sm.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 124
  • _DSC4718sm.jpg
    _DSC4718sm.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
A brief introduction; I'm fgrsimon (fgr=forest green rovers) and I've recently caught the orchid bug again after first being hooked by the Bee Orchids on Minchinhampton Common, Glos during childhood.

I have decided to try and photograph as many of the British Orchid species as I can this year. I've already managed Early Purple, Early Spider, Green Winged, Bird's Nest, Lady/Lady-Monkey Hybrid and a possible Monkey.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53613503@N08/sets/72157629971827951/

Already have White Helleborines and Butterfly Orchids staked out and waiting for flowers.

My job takes me from Glos to Essex and back every week, so I'm quite fortunate in being able to get to many excellent orchid sites fairly easily.

My number one target this year is the Fly Orchid, so I'd be very grateful for any help locating these this year. Number two target is Man Orchid which should be pretty straightforward at Darlands Bank in Kent.

More than happy to help the guy looking for Bird's Nests if you fancy a trip to Gloucestershire. I know a cracking site with about 30-40 just coming up last weekend, I found the dead flower spikes last year but was too late for the flowers. This is in Buckholt Wood, Cranham, Glos which is plenty big enough to not be giving anything away.

Found dug up Bee Orchid sites at both Leckhampton Hill and Minchinhampton Common last year which was thoroughly depressing.

Half a dozen Early Marsh and a couple of Southern Marsh in flower in Wiltshire yesterday.

First two flowers open on a Greater Butterfly in Gloucestershire today.

Alan

Are Man Orchids still present in Grays Chalk Quarry?

Chafford Gorge as it is now called. I looked last year but I was a bit late; 23/06 and saw no sign of Man Orchids. A bit suspicious though, that in the areas where the staff in the visitor centre told me the Man Orchids were, there were a number of large Twayblades.....

2000+ Green Winged at Silverdale including a few pinks & whites. Plenty of Early Purple around. 3 stems on the Cypripedium this year, currently about 15cm, I would guess first week in June for this.

Cheers
John

Back in the 90s when I was in that neck of the woods there were plenty of twayblades in the quarry - can't remember how closely they grew to the Man Orchids.....

Recent photos - part 1

These were just up the hill from the house - a very pale Early Purple and a very dark Green-winged.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5000.JPG
    IMG_5000.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5002.JPG
    IMG_5002.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 91
Recent photos - part 2

And here's one of the just emerging Heath Spotted, plus what look like a couple of hybrids, possibly back-crosses.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 95
Chafford Gorge as it is now called. I looked last year but I was a bit late; 23/06 and saw no sign of Man Orchids. A bit suspicious though, that in the areas where the staff in the visitor centre told me the Man Orchids were, there were a number of large Twayblades.....

I didn't see any last year either (though birds nest and two spp helleborine were neat) I can contact the former warden who I know and find out

Went to Barnack Hills & Holes yesterday. 6 Man Orchid spikes is all there are this year, an improvement on the four there last year. They are in very tight bud and will need another two weeks.

Many of the Orchid areas there are "roped" off. The Man orchids can be seen from the paths - please do not trample inside the fences!

I've had a report from Cornwall that the Serapias parviflora were not seen a couple of days ago although in this late season, even if they are still at the site, they would probably not be in flower yet.

At Gait Barrows there is a good number of Lady's slipper, but although the open day is this weekend, next weekend is going to be the best time to see them there.

Am visiting the Chilterns on Sunday and will report back.

Sean

Thanks for the update Sean - I am off to Cumbria next week to look for the Coralroot orchid and thought I might be too early for the Lady's slipper.

Went there this morning and found 100+ flowering spikes of Man orchid.
Dont know if its ok to put directions up here or not.

Down in Kent, the Lady's at Yockletts are looking pretty good-a few Fly's also, but the Early Purples pretty much over. One or two Common Spotted and White Helleborines just starting to come up.
Very few Monkeys at Park Gate-only found four and just starting to open. The Early Purples are much better.

Went there this morning and found 100+ flowering spikes of Man orchid.
Dont know if its ok to put directions up here or not.

QUOTE]

There is an awful lot of info available in publications and online that people who are interested enough can search for and find. I don't think that giving more info, site names and directions etc, on an open forum is a good idea, this subject has previously been debated on the forum and I believe I'm repeating the consensus view. For good advice have a look at the opening post of the 2010 UK orchid season updates:-

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=172045&highlight=orchid+season+updates

PM's through this forum can be used to share information, the giver of the info can then decide if, or what, information they divulge. I've been very pleased to have given and received information via this route, I have also graciously declined some requests without ever causing offence.

Alan

Does anyone know what's the timing of the Early Spiders in the SE this year? I'm down that way this week and was hoping to pop into Castle Hill en route.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back