• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What US State Birds should be... (1 Viewer)

It's a great article, but I disagree with his conclusion that PA's bird should stay ruffed grouse. It was picked as a paean to hunters. Personally, I'd like red-tailed or broad-winged hawk.

I have often thought it was kind of strange for states to name birds which are only in their respect states for part of the year, such as the Lark Bunting for Colorado, as their State Bird. * I am surprised that you would suggest that several states change their (resident) State Bird to one that is in their state only parts of the year. I do agree that some could do better though than Northern Cardinal or meadowlark!

I feel like an intruder ;)

I have always thought it odd that the state bird of Utah was the California Gull.

Apparently it commemorates the saving of the people of the State when gulls ate crickets which were destroying crops.

Great article. I don't agree with A. Flamingo for Florida. Great Egret or Snowy Egret would be more appropriate, I think. I think that NY should use the European Starling as I believe that is where they were introduced and NY should carry that guilt for ever.;)

Last edited:

I have always thought it odd that the state bird of Utah was the California Gull.

And, in the state the freeway rules okay, more so than other states I'd say, California's bird should surely be the Roadrunner.

Top comment in the article ...

Massachusetts.

'Screw you, Taxachusetts. Maine wins.'

And agree on the Piping Plover suggestion for this state.

Some of these choices really make sense (Mississippi Kite, Kirtland's Warbler), but a few make me question the writer's awareness, or perhaps, sanity; particularly Connecticut Warbler for Conn. This is a bird that is only rarely seen in that state, and even then, only on its way to/from its breeding grounds in Canada!

I did get a kick out of seeing that the state bird of Alabama was the "Yellowhammer" though! Took me a few seconds to figure that one out...

Peter C.

Being a gobby Scouser I never feel that soooo.....

Perhaps it's my rather warped sense of humour but, Cardinals as the state birds of Kentucky, N. Carolina, Virginia and W. Virginia? Aren't they all in the 'Bible Belt'?

I have heard there are (unofficial ) county birds for the UK, I dread to think what they would be. :eek!:

Chris

On Maine, where we spend three weeks at our old family homestead each year, I have to disagree with the author on the Chickadee. While I have nothing against Chickadees, except that they never seem to sit still long enough for me to get a good photo! I don't see them as distinctive of Maine. When I think of Maine and it's huge lakes and rocky shores, I think of the Northern Loon or the Osprey. And both are fishermen and Maine is known for its fishing industry. I wonder if Loons ever catch small lobsters....

I've always had an issue with he official US bird being the bald eagle. While it's an impressive large and fearsome looking thing, it's also a disreputable thief making a habit of stealing fish from honest Osprey who got his fish by his own work and other dastardly plots.

The US should have a national bird that represents what the US ostensibly wants to emulate. I don't think that the US wants to be a crook though I'm sure that some people would describe it that way... All I have to say about that!

I recall a story that Founding Father Ben Franklin had suggested that the official bird should have been a turkey. I think he had some interesting reasons but I don't recall what they were. He was voted down.

The US should have a national bird that represents what the US ostensibly wants to emulate. I don't think that the US wants to be a crook though I'm sure that some people would describe it that way...

Not sure most people, or at least non-birdy people, associate Bald Eagle with a reputation as a disreputable thief ...more a mighty symbol of free and wild places, king of its realm.

I personally think the Bald Eagle is a good state bird for the US, suppose you could also change it to a Worm-eating Warbler or Dark-eyed Junco 3:)

Not sure most people, or at least non-birdy people, associate Bald Eagle with a reputation as a disreputable thief ...more a mighty symbol of free and wild places, king of its realm.

I personally think the Bald Eagle is a good state bird for the US, suppose you could also change it to a Worm-eating Warbler or Dark-eyed Junco 3:)

Having read the Thornton Burgess http://www.thorntonburgess.org/ animal story books to my kids when they were younger, I'm afraid that my first association with the bald eagle is it stealing a fish from the osprey who had just caught his breakfast the honest way.

Perhaps it's my rather warped sense of humour but, Cardinals as the state birds of Kentucky, N. Carolina, Virginia and W. Virginia? Aren't they all in the 'Bible Belt'?

Chris

Yes, the choice of "Cardinal" there is rather ironic; the true "bible thumpers" down there have no truck at all with cardinals, bishops, or indeed anything else that smacks of "Popery". In fact, it seems to me that, back in the 19th-C., they put together a little fraternal society to deal with such perfidious influences, hmmm, the name escapes me ... :h?:

I like his suggestion for Nevada, oddly.
Texas should be Golden-cheeked Warbler, as it can be seen (pretty much) in the state capital. Maybe they would then stop destroying the Hill Country...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back