• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Condor Sighting (1 Viewer)

asmidkif

Hi this is my first post on the forum. I am an Arizona State University student and while I was driving to work today I spotted what looked like a California Condor perched on a sound retaining wall along the 101 in Tempe. I only got a glimpse but it was a large black bird with no feathers on its head and when I pulled up a picture of a California Condor it looked exactly like what I had seen. I know there are California Condors in Northern Arizona by the Grand Canyon but I haven't heard of them being this far south. I was wondering if anyone had heard of California Condors being spotted in this area?

Thanks for the link. It looked similar to the turkey vulture but its head was black not red and the color of the feathers were a little darker.

Welcome to Birforum. Black Vulture is more likely, even though they are scarce where you live. It may have seemed a large bird but Californian Condors are humongous. It would have looked like a teenager in Halloween costume sitting there ( maybe not that big but, compared to other birds you'd find in the same situation, very noticeably 'huge').

Chris

Thanks for the link. It looked similar to the turkey vulture but its head was black not red and the color of the feathers were a little darker.
Well, juvenile Turkey Vulture then? They have dark heads.

I know that there aren't going to be any at that age in the north, but in Calfornia, the breeding cycle might be quite different.

Condor or Turkey Vulture?

Hi this is my first post on the forum. I am an Arizona State University student and while I was driving to work today I spotted what looked like a California Condor perched on a sound retaining wall along the 101 in Tempe. I only got a glimpse but it was a large black bird with no feathers on its head and when I pulled up a picture of a California Condor it looked exactly like what I had seen. I know there are California Condors in Northern Arizona by the Grand Canyon but I haven't heard of them being this far south. I was wondering if anyone had heard of California Condors being spotted in this area?

Not sure this will be of any help? Photo taken at Grand Canyon...a Condor with attendant Common Ravens. I was amazed by the size! Also EVERY Condor I saw (about 8) had wing-tags. I was in Arizona for 3 weeks and did see a lot of Turkey Vultures. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) more-or-less anything is possible in the birding world e.g. a Tufted Puffin near the River Thames!

Attachments

• CalCondorRavensGC.jpg
    CalCondorRavensGC.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back