• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

caterpillar ID and advice request (1 Viewer)

Mouldy

skywatcher, dragonhunter
Found this caterpillar today on a cauliflower from Tesco, originated in Cornwall now in Gateshead. Been searching google but no further forward with an ID so would be grateful for any help.
Also, I realise it must be a species which spends the winter as a caterpillar so what do you advise I do with it, the kids have already christened it 'Henry' and it's in a container with some cauli leaves.
If the photo's too crappy (I read the last thread on the subject:eek!:) I'll try and get one in the daylight tomorrow.

Thanks in anticipation

A.

Attachments

• P1030013 copy.jpg
    P1030013 copy.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 96
Found this caterpillar today on a cauliflower from Tesco, originated in Cornwall now in Gateshead. Been searching google but no further forward with an ID so would be grateful for any help.
Also, I realise it must be a species which spends the winter as a caterpillar so what do you advise I do with it, the kids have already christened it 'Henry' and it's in a container with some cauli leaves.
If the photo's too crappy (I read the last thread on the subject:eek!:) I'll try and get one in the daylight tomorrow.

Thanks in anticipation

A.

Caterpillar identification beyond me even when I have the live moth, the internet and the Porter colour identification guide in front of me but I guess that it is a noctuid. I take your post as meaning the cauliflower was grown in Cornwall? Although presumably the larva could have moved foodplants 'in store' from a more exotic location?

I doubt that it is likely to overwinter as a larva.

I would do as you are doing. Give it foodplant and keep it in a container with an inch or so of soil in the bottom - peat or something unlikely to contain anything untoward/predators preferably - and keep it in a warm moist but not damp location and maybe it will pupate when it is ready. It looks reasonably well grown already. Change foodplant regularly and remove older foodplant.

Good luck and confirm what it is in due course (even if the larva is identified on here in due course!).

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, sound advice.
I forget that with there being so many moth species an ID would be difficult, I just thought that whatever it is would be common and well known. I'll certainly hang on to it and hopefully will one day post a pic of the adult for iD !

Cheers, very much appreciated.

A.

Took it's time but late last week our caterpillar transformed into a shiny chestnut-coloured chrysalis.
Pardon my ignorance and as we don't know the species this might be a daft question but how long will it likely be before it emerges? Paul kindly offered the info it could be a noctuid so just roughly is it usually days? weeks? months? or is it impossible to tell without a positive ID?
Once again any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

A.

Weeks to months rather than days - will be quicker if kept indoors, more natural if kept in a shed or the garage. Will need to be kept slightly moist - but may develop mould if kept damp.

You may wish to check google for small clouded brindle (30mm long) or small angle shades (35mm long) There are plenty of caterpillars that have this colouration and sometimes a dorsal view i.e. photo taken from top rather than side view) helps. Were there any distinguishing marks along the top of the creature? Also, seeing as it has now pupated maybe that colouring and diagnostic markings had already faded. Good luck keeping it. All will eventually become apparent when it emerges.
regards,
Jono

Weeks to months rather than days - will be quicker if kept indoors, more natural if kept in a shed or the garage. Will need to be kept slightly moist - but may develop mould if kept damp.

Thanks for the info and advice, my main concern was if it were to emerge while still in the grip of winter, but hopefully we may be well on the way to spring if not beyond by the time anything happens.
I'll be checking on it every morning and will give it a fine mist spray of water every few days to help keep it moist.

Cheers

Alan M

You may wish to check google for small clouded brindle (30mm long) or small angle shades (35mm long) There are plenty of caterpillars that have this colouration and sometimes a dorsal view i.e. photo taken from top rather than side view) helps. Were there any distinguishing marks along the top of the creature? Also, seeing as it has now pupated maybe that colouring and diagnostic markings had already faded. Good luck keeping it. All will eventually become apparent when it emerges.
regards,
Jono

Thanks Jono, have looked at hundreds of caterpillar photos but haven't found an exact match, dorsal view shows just the same colouring as what you see in the pic., just the pale lines along the flanks differ from the rest of the body.
The colouring of the caterpillar faded in the days prior to it pupating, I think my only hope for a positive ID is, like you say, when it emerges, so fingers crossed for that. Will post a pic on conclusion of the saga.

Cheers

Alan M

A Shady Character

The final part of the saga occured today as this feller was found in the customised home I'd made for Henry the caterpillar.
I don't know an awful lot about moths but I recognised this one as an Angle Shades (as suggested by Jono) without looking it up, meaning it's as common as muck and won't feel out of place up here in the northeast.

My problem is now though that it's absolutely perishing up here at the moment so am loathe to let it go. I've mixed a sugar/water solution in a bottle cap hoping it might drink but other than that don't really know what to do for the best, so my final appeal, once again anybody got any advice/ideas?

Cheers.

Attachments

• P1030179.jpg
    P1030179.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 31
I would let it go.

It is best suited to find a good place to ensure its survival.

It is a species that can be found most months of the year (even January & February) so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Martin

Cheers Martin,

that's exactly what I've done, I didn't think it right to keep it shut up in a box for too long only to die without using its wings for the purpose they were intended, so tonight it was released into the great outdoors.
I suppose most folk would have just washed it down the kitchen sink after finding a caterpillar on the cauliflower so at least we gave it a chance.

Thanks to all who contributed, an interesting experience.

A.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back