• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa883+(lumix g1, lumix lx3, or nikon p6000) (1 Viewer)

code3collector

If price were no issue, which one of the 3 cameras above is the best at digiscoping with the 883+da10+da4 adapters?

If they will not work with the adapter specified, please advise on what is needed.

I have followed various threads on here and was set to get the lumix lx3, but found it to be discontinued. The next was the p6000 that caught my eye, but the info was that the iso is not that great at upper levels.

Finally, everyone is talking about the g1, but I had read its not that good with digiscoping.

Could the experts here please provide a consensus? Im leaning on the p6000, but I need to know what other adapters I need.

Thanks again

Just a thought but the G1 would allow you to not only digiscope but to directly photograph birds with the addition of the 45 to 200 zoom lens. :t:

Timedrifter,

Maybe it was that the g1 does not easilly adapt to the kowa883? Since there are quite a few posts on here I don't recall, but I did read at least one that somebody posted. Thats why I'm trying to get a clear consensus as to which camera setup is the best, and what other adapters are needed, since I already have the da1, da4 setup, and the 60x zoom, and 25xLER.

Timedrifter,

Maybe it was that the g1 does not easilly adapt to the kowa883? Since there are quite a few posts on here I don't recall, but I did read at least one that somebody posted. Thats why I'm trying to get a clear consensus as to which camera setup is the best, and what other adapters are needed, since I already have the da1, da4 setup, and the 60x zoom, and 25xLER.

Hi again,
I guess as you own the ridiculously expensive da1/da4 setup that you'll want to use it, in which case out of the cameras you list the P6000 would appear to be the best choice. But, I think I'm right in saying that the DA10, which fits your eyepieces can be used with the G1. Pehaps someone else on the forum will clarify that point for you.
Max

Neither the P6000 nor the G1 will fit on DA4. So the FX150 is the only choice by default. And for $210 shipped at Adorama (locate it with MS Cashback service and save another $6) it really is a no-brainer. I think the only other digicams to consider would be the Sony W300 or Canon 990IS but they cost $50 more and lack some of the FX150 features such as RAW and HD video. The Nikon Coolpix S710 can take nice pics too but like all the Coolpix suffers from a digiscoping unfriendly interface made worse by an LCD screen that is useless outside.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Ridiculously expensive is right

Hi again,
I guess as you own the ridiculously expensive da1/da4 setup that you'll want to use it, in which case out of the cameras you list the P6000 would appear to be the best choice. But, I think I'm right in saying that the DA10, which fits your eyepieces can be used with the G1. Pehaps someone else on the forum will clarify that point for you.
Max

Yes I agree. I didn't do enough research ahead of time and was led to believe by the retailer the da10/da4 was worth the cost, and that it was really the only way to go. Coupled with trying to use the very scope unfriendly Canon sd890is, I am in the predicament of trying to get a better set up without having to outlay a lot more. Had the da10/da4 setup worked with the 6000 or the Lumix cameras, I would have gone that route. But since those cameras are 200 dollars more, and I'm sure they are worth it, I don't want to another ridiculous amount of money for more adapters. Or are the adapters more reasonably priced than the da4/d10? We do also want to get the 30x eyepiece so trying to save some money, but if its REALLY worth it, since we are in it for the longhaul, we will pay the extra.

Rick, thanks again. Glad to see you are happy with your purchases. Last I checked last night, the camera was listed as "discontinued" on a few sites. I usually purchase my stuff from Adorama (not this last time) but when I checked the only item available was one in silver, instead of black, and it was a package deal. I thought it was around $240. Color doesn't bother me, but if I can save $30 bucks since I don't need any accessories I'm all for it.

The expense of the DA4 is relative. Nothing else is as robust, as elegant and compact, nor as lightweight as the DA4. It never fails to keep the camera perfectly centered over the eyepiece during a whole day of hiking. It is certainly the best of all swing out adapters by a wide margin and works perfectly with Kowa scopes. After using it, I can't imagine going back to the hassle of have to re-attach my camera everytime I wanted to take a pic.

Rick

Ordered and on the way. I was comparing the specs side by side with the Canon SD890IS that I had, and this looks like a much better camera for the same price I paid. Well, now I have an extra P&S to carry anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back