• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Old Which lens question (1 Viewer)

Well he does rely on using the force a lot for his shots. ;)

I have to agree with your choice though. Save the money now and buy a better lens in the long run, we've all been there and gone through exactly the same thing so we know what we're talking about. When I started out I never would have imagined that I'd end up with the gear I have now and I ain't finished yet.

Oh and er... digiscoped action shots?
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/289335/limit/recent

Last edited:
lol I'd like to see a few more but a nice action shots digiscoped, I imagine at that distance dof is not critical, looks a long way off.

Last edited:
Pity you were'nt looking a few months ago when I sold my Tokina 400mm! Nice lens and not too heavy but I have to say I preferred the results using my 70-300vr, with a little cropping, quality wise. It may only be a budget lens [not quite such a bargain now the price has gone up] but it's the only lens I've managed to get useable Swallow in flight shots with. It's not just the old 70-300 with VR. I'd always warn anyone to try a 170-500 before buying if they can - it's really long and unwieldy to use - a lens you either love or hate I think.
few 400mm Tokina shots -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/72157621886530383/

Hi mate,

Don't suppose ya ever had the lens strapped to a D50 did you? i got concerns over if it will work or not and can't get a definitive answer lol.

Ill keep plugging lol
karpman
P.s i love the lens and want one, don't fancy sending europe some place to be re chipped though.

Karpman does the D50 have an internal AF motor, it'll be in the specifications in the manual. Failing that call Nikon and ask.

Karpman does the D50 have an internal AF motor, it'll be in the specifications in the manual. Failing that call Nikon and ask.

Coulda sworn you'd asked that before Steve. Oh well, I did some research for karpman and it looks like the D50 does have an internal focus drive motor ; it's the D40(x) that doesn't. Hhowever, I did NOT read the DPR review all the way through, but it's something they mention up front for the D40.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Neil

Last edited:
Yeah has internal motor, and i have answered.
The internal motor is not the the issue seems to be that some of the older tokina lenses need to be re chipped to work on a Nikon dslr bodies at a cost of 140 euros aka 121 Gbp plus postage to go knows were in the world.
My nikon D50 drives my 70-300mm ed lens no problem:) And it would drive the tokina, It would no meter or register aperture which would be pretty pointless.
Upgrade options would be pretty limited also as i am pretty sure it will need chipping to to work on a D90.
Shame i really like the look of the lens, May have to plump for the sigma 135-400mm but i have issues with that too lol.

Which are the ones being touted as DG on fleabay don't match the ones on sigma website as DG the grip is different amongst other things which worries and makes me think the lens on offer is an older version perhaps, Of which i cannot find any information on:)

A distinct lack of 3rd party nikon lenses in the used market:)

karpman

Last edited:
Ok give in lol
Gonna get me a nikon 300 f4 af, If i get the non AF-S version it won't autofocus with a TC?
anything else i should know before i plunge, Ill maybe have a tokina 400mm that is un usable LOL

/slaps self
karpman

I used my Tokina 400mm on a D90 and D300. As far as I'm aware Nikon don't usually suffer with focussing problems using some older lenses in the same way that Canon do. It would'nt
af on a D40, D60, D3000, D5000 of course. I've used lots of older second hand lenses and the only time I ever had a problem was with an old Sigma 400mm prime on later Canon bodies. When using a TC it generally depends on the speed of the lens whether AF will operate. Using a 2x on an f2.8 or a 1.4x on an f4 should'nt be a problem.

I used my Tokina 400mm on a D90 and D300. As far as I'm aware Nikon don't usually suffer with focussing problems using some older lenses in the same way that Canon do. It would'nt
af on a D40, D60, D3000, D5000 of course. I've used lots of older second hand lenses and the only time I ever had a problem was with an old Sigma 400mm prime on later Canon bodies. When using a TC it generally depends on the speed of the lens whether AF will operate. Using a 2x on an f2.8 or a 1.4x on an f4 should'nt be a problem.

Cheers for the heads up there mate,Thats D90 d300 D70 and D80 ticked off the list lol.
was checking your gallery just now like ya shots with the tokina prime, I read some were someone had one on a nikon d50 and it did not work:S
Can't find were i read this now either!

cheers for the heads up mate!

karpman

If it works on a D70 it should definitely work on a D50 as they're basically the same - the D50 was just a bit pared down size and feature wise. It's only the models without in body motors you need to worry about all the others will be OK.

Ok give in lol
Gonna get me a nikon 300 f4 af, If i get the non AF-S version it won't autofocus with a TC?
anything else i should know before i plunge, Ill maybe have a tokina 400mm that is un usable LOL

/slaps self
karpman

why wont it AF with a 1.4? Either in this thread or one of you others I did say that my 300/4 IF-ED worked well with a Sigma 1.4tc, the AF-S also works extremely well with a 1.4TC

why wont it AF with a 1.4? Either in this thread or one of you others I did say that my 300/4 IF-ED worked well with a Sigma 1.4tc, the AF-S also works extremely well with a 1.4TC

Sorry mate must of missed that to many late nights andB :)
Don't suppose i could trouble you for one more thing Duke which Tc Kenko or stick with nikon:)

karpman

Cant use a Nikon with the non AF-S lens as it doesn't have a mechanical pass through, I only ever used it with a Sigma TC but Kenko should be okay, someone else may be able to talk Kenko

Cant use a Nikon with the non AF-S lens as it doesn't have a mechanical pass through, I only ever used it with a Sigma TC but Kenko should be okay, someone else may be able to talk Kenko

Cheers mate,
Another maybe stupid question, i know i'm hard work but bare with me hehe.
Is the AF-S far superior to the normal AF version or is it just in the internal focusing?

cheers
karpman

well there's a question, AF-S lenses will always be faster than there predecessors the AF-D, but and its a good but, I always rated the performance of the older AF-D lens above that of the newer AF-S and build quality again I felt that the older AF-D lens was much better made, it felt more solid. The only reason I upgraded was to only need a single TC in the bag for all my lenses and so I could use a 1.7 with it. The new AF-S is a cracking lens but the older one just had something, shame the AF was too slow.

Cheers duke.

Af-D It is for me then, I must say they do look solid and well built and almost starting to seem like good value a near mint one selling for around 400 pounds.
Slow Af is something i will live i think for the price difference, Will hang tight for the minter since i am gonna blow me budget after all lol;)

Many thanks for the help i know it has been a rocky road getting here, Coulda saved you guys all the bother 50 posts ago if i had just seen the light:-O

sorry about that and thanks
karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back