• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-883 / Canon 5D mk 2 Marriage (1 Viewer)

I am considering ordering a Kowa TSN-883, I have a Canon 5D mk 2.

I had a conversation with a very polite technical support person at Kowa in Torrance, California. I did not come away with a good understanding of what to do or expect to marry the TSN-83 to the 5D mk 2.

The 5D mk 2 has a "full-frame" 35 mm sized CMOS.

I fairly-well understand that I need the TSN-CM2 CE...

I was told to use the TSN-PZ with it and I assume this would be zoomed all the way out to avoid/minimize vignetting...

It seems to me that I would be better off with a non-zoom capable device than with a zoom capable device designed for a less than full-sized sized camera sensor that when used with a full-sized sensor could be zoomed but at the expense of vignetting.

So, should I try to find a (discontinued) TSN-PA2D?

Is it possible that a combination of the TSN-883 - TSN-PA2D - TSN-CM2 CE - 5D mk 2 would be an "elegant" solution?

I don't think that I should marry these two together if it is not possible to utilize the full-frame benefit of the 5D mk 2 with a minimum of elements.

Thank you kindly for reading and thank you immensely for responding.

Is it possible that a combination of the TSN-883 - TSN-PA2D - TSN-CM2 CE - 5D mk 2 would be an "elegant" solution?

No, not elegant at all. With a large full frame camera you should first choose the straight 884. The PZ is also still the best choice but with 1000mm max focal length and manual focus at F12-ish you really have to ask yourself if you would not be better off with a Sigma 150-500 and a 2x TC. Certainly it is a cheaper/more elegant option and you will probably have better image quality too.

Rick

Last edited:
Yes. The best solution would be to use the VA3 photo-video adapter and a AR58 adapter ring. You will also need the Canon LA-DC58H lens accessory adapter. You will have a very usable focal length range of ~500mm-3000mm too and no vignetting from the 3rd zoom step, or ~1000mm thru 3000mm. I still recommend you use the straight 884 though.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

I have Canon 1.4X & 2X TC's. With the Sigma 150-500mm, I would have a max reach of 1000mm (correct?)

With the VA3, AR58, Canon LA-DC58H & G9 combo I would have a max reach of 3000mm (correct?)

It seems to me the IQ would be far better with the 5D mk 2 / Sigma, 2X TC combo. What value would the extra reach of the G9 combo bring beyond the 5D/Sigma rig?

I should think the 21 mega pixels of the 5D mk2 will allow for a lot of cropping. In my experience cropping on a decent dslr is just as good, if not better than going for loads of reach with a digicam.

Paul.

The pixel pitch ratio between these cameras is ~3.4 (6.4micron/1.9microns) so theoretically by cropping the 5dmII at 1000mm (1000*3.4=3400mm) may enjoy a slight advantage to the G9 at 3000mm. Resolution-wise it is probably a wash if you are using the Sigma 150-500 zoom, but if using a 500mm F4 prime with TC2x the aperture advantage of the big lens would definitely favor the 5dmII. But there are other factors to consider such as your ability to accurately focus on a bird of much smaller apparent size in the viewfinder in the 5dmII.

Tough call really. Glad its not my decision!

Last edited:
I am considering ordering a Kowa TSN-883, I have a Canon 5D mk 2.

I had a conversation with a very polite technical support person at Kowa in Torrance, California. I did not come away with a good understanding of what to do or expect to marry the TSN-83 to the 5D mk 2.

The 5D mk 2 has a "full-frame" 35 mm sized CMOS.

I fairly-well understand that I need the TSN-CM2 CE...

I was told to use the TSN-PZ with it and I assume this would be zoomed all the way out to avoid/minimize vignetting...

It seems to me that I would be better off with a non-zoom capable device than with a zoom capable device designed for a less than full-sized sized camera sensor that when used with a full-sized sensor could be zoomed but at the expense of vignetting.

So, should I try to find a (discontinued) TSN-PA2D?

I don't think that I should marry these two together if it is not possible to utilize the full-frame benefit of the 5D mk 2 with a minimum of elements.

Thank you kindly for reading and thank you immensely for responding.

I think the biggest factor that has been missed so far in regard to you using your DSLR to the Kowa scope is have you access/oppurtunity to try and test this out? you are laying out a large sum of money for something you may or may not be happy with the final result? A decent tripod and video head and long plate/balance bar to support the kit, this system does need decent light to give consistent results,.

The DSLR/Scope set up is not for everybody and focus is crucial, when i teach digiscoping and show the DSLR method and ask people to try it, a good number simply cant get the focus sharp enough for whatever reason.

I say this, because in my email intray i have had far too many people, buy the DSLR setup without even trying it, and then ask me what can they do?

Our advice on this forum is based on all our experiences, at least give yourself the chance if at all possible to experience it yourself.

If you can focus and are happy with the results, Rick Paul Neil and myself and others will of course try and help you with settings, technique etc

This is not to put you off, but to give you a realistic view of the situation and accept the limitations.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Thank you kindly for your time and care in addressing my query.

My primary reason for procuring the Kowa TSN-833 is to look through it. Because I have a 5D mk 2, teleconverters and a G9 I was thinking ambitiously about how I might derive a synergistic benefit or set of benefits...

I think for now I'll gaze with/through the Kowa and likely consider photography separately.

Thank you so much for the care and effort you put forth in answering my queries.

Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back