• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Lens for Panosonic G3 please (1 Viewer)

thymelicus

Hi,
After weeks trawling the forums I have decided to buy a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 camera to go on a Swaro 80 HD with a DCB-A adapter. What's got me stumped is which lens to purchase. The options seem to be:
a) Panasonic 14-42 kit lens
b) Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake (expensive that one!!)
c) Sigma 30mm f1.4
I'd be very grateful to receive any guidance on which of these (or any other) I should go for.

Ah, I should have added that I have the 25-50mm W eyepiece. So I guess that I'm asking which lens will give me minimum vignetting?

Thanks,

Robin

Last edited:
I use the 20mm f/1.7 and it gives good results with just a hint of vignetting on the fixed eyepieces (20x and 45x).
On the downside, the whole lens assembly moves during focus. Ie. as the camera focuses the lens moves forward slightly. They eyecup diameter isn't large enough to go around the moving lens so one has to be careful.
The best results (best contrast) are obtained when the eyecup is twisted up to leave no gap between it and the lens. I have the camera set to manual focus and leave it on infinity so that I can be sure it won't push into the eyecup.
One could get around this by using a shroud to cover where the eyepiece and lens meet.
When the camera goes into sleep it comes out at the same focus point.
However, when it is powered off then on it comes back just short of infinity focus so is slightly further extended.

Thanks dalat, Sjerp and cousin_itt for your help.

Having decided on the Sigma I find that they have stopped making it and I can't find anyone selling it - typical!!

Any other suggestions?

Robin

I use the swarovski with the 25-50x eyepeice and a Sony NEX-7 and have just taken delivery of a Sigma 30mm f2.8 that Sjerp suggested. As of yet I've only attached it to my scope to check for vignetting and there is none. The lens comes in the m4/3 mount and the reviews on it are promising, may be worth a look?

B lucky
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I've finally gone for the Panasonic G5 together with the Sigma 30mm f2.8.

Keeping my fingers crossed!! I'll report back on how I get on.

Best wishes,

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back