• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Lense coating (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Dear Colleagues,
It seems that the coating on lense objectives seems very sensitive, and common to peeling.
Is there any reason for this sensivity? is it increased by any use of solvant lense cleaners?
What is the purpose of the coating? It is the "APO" treatment to avoid chromatism flares?

How much it costs to repair or to recoat (and if it is feasible)?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Yves

Last edited:
Dear Colleagues,
It seems that the coating on lense objectives seems very sentitive, and common to peeling.
Is there any reason for this sensivity? is it increased by any use of solvant lense cleaners?
What is the purpose of the coating? It is the "APO" treatment to avoid chromatism flares which is going?

How much it costs to repair (and if it is feasible)?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Yves

about that problem with the coating peeling off , that was with the older leica models i think , not with the newer televids.

Is there any date before the coating is more resistant?
Regards
Yves

I think the first Televids were all OK, at least that was never an issue for quite some time. I have an APO77 from so early they did not even have the zoom ready. And I have never had a coating issue over all these years. The scope has been from very cold to very hot on many trips.

As for your question regarding APO: Apo is a construction with special, more expensive glass used for some lenses. It has nothing to do with coating. Coating does help to get clearer images as there is much less reflection.
Can't answer your other questions, sorry.

Last edited:
Hallo Yves,

Just send your scope to a authorized Leica dealer (I'm sure there will be one or two in Paris) and they will send it for you to Solms (Leica). You'll get a price of the costs before they do anything. If you agree, they fix it. If you don't they will send you the scope unrepaired back and you will have to pay your dealer 40,00 euro's for inspection costs.

Jan

I think the first Televids were all OK, at least that was never an issue for quite some time. I have an APO77 from so early they did not even have the zoom ready. And I have never had a coating issue over all these years. The scope has been from very cold to very hot on many trips.

The coating issues of the Apo-Televid 77 are pretty well known and have been discussed here and elsewhere numerous times. I've been told by someone who should know that the problem was the type of glas used in the Apo-Televid that led to the coating peeling off in what he called "stressful environments". According to him problems with the coating usually arise when the scope is used near the sea, the coating apparently doesn't like saltwater.

The new Leica scopes don't have these problems anymore.

Hermann

The coating issues of the Apo-Televid 77 are pretty well known and have been discussed here and elsewhere numerous times. I've been told by someone who should know that the problem was the type of glas used in the Apo-Televid that led to the coating peeling off in what he called "stressful environments". According to him problems with the coating usually arise when the scope is used near the sea, the coating apparently doesn't like saltwater.

The new Leica scopes don't have these problems anymore.

Hermann

Thanks Hermann, good to know where it might be critical. Though I have been in coastal areas several times. But then, one time might become one too many.

Hi,
After investigation at Leica. they informed me that the cost for a recoating is approx 400€. This consists of the objectiv lense exchange.
From another source, I have been told that it may be not even taken under guaranty, if it is prooven that the lense received salt fog:eek!:
It is a bit a deception for a brand like Leica.
Regards
Yves

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back