• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (2 Viewers)

Harbour Porpoise washed up on templetown beach today. Probably full adult at 145 cm in length. Probably caught on salmon drift nets in carlingford lough or dundalk bay. According to my collins mammals, this species is under threat in Europe where there have been serious declines in recent decades...there was another washed up at lurgangreen a few months back...

Attachments

• harbour porpoise templetown beach 30 march 06.jpg
    harbour porpoise templetown beach 30 march 06.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 258
breffni said:
Harbour Porpoise washed up on templetown beach today. Probably full adult at 145 cm in length. Probably caught on salmon drift nets in carlingford lough or dundalk bay. According to my collins mammals, this species is under threat in Europe where there have been serious declines in recent decades...there was another washed up at lurgangreen a few months back...

A real shame! I was lucky enough to see 2 porpoises at the mouth of Carlingford Bay at new year, from Greenore - first time I'd seen them along that coast.

breffni said:

keep an eye on it for co. Louths first ivory gull?

Pluvius said:
I am driving tommorrow to Wicklow for Bird Conservation Conference and wondered if you could suggest any stopping of points on the way down for quick observations.

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Mell quarry would be worth stopping off for, the ring necked duck is usually there and there tends to be a good selection even without it. It's not far from the motorway so it could be a convenient stop for you.

Pluvius said:
Where exactly is Mell quarry, where would I come off motorway. Thanks

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

its probably a bit late but if you follow the lower (relief) road through dundalk you can stop at dundalk harbour and observe from the quay wall, next follow the shore road south and check out red barns road for twite, next go through blackrock (numerous stopping points along the shore road), next you come to lurgangreen where the fane river enters dundalk bay (here you can observe fromt he cul de sac just over the fane), next go to castlebellingham and again follow the coast road along annagassan, salterstown...if still time hermitage, dunaney and cruisetown (though all that takes me about a day) - ill put up an annotated map one of these days...

3 sambos and one swallow over carlingford lough today at noon.

for mell turn off the M1 at drogheda north and head into drogheda, ignore the sign for Mell, take the second roundabout into drogheda and about 100 yards down the road the quarry is on the right - enter through a gap in the wire.

Last edited:
good numbers of sandwich terns this morning with a single swallow seen . also big numbers of gannets feeding offshore. Salterstown - Cruisetown area

a male merlin flew in of the sea this morning at hermitage & posed for about an hour(see attached pics) we usually only see female types on our coast so it was a nice surprise also present on the pond was a little egret. at least 1 of the mealy redpolls is still at cruisetown. Wheatears,white wagtail & slavanion grebe were also noted (by other birders) between seabank & salterstown

Attachments

• mer6.jpg
    mer6.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 186
Enda said:
anybody seen any sandmartins this year yet or is it just me

How come sand martins are so late in arriving in NE Ireland this spring? They've been in Nw England in good numbers for over a week now.

sav said:
How come sand martins are so late in arriving in NE Ireland this spring? They've been in Nw England in good numbers for over a week now.

went looking for sandmartins (and alpine/pallid swifts etc) today - no sign - last year 6 arrived 2nd April and immediately started excavating holes at rathcor. By 6th of april there were dozens in the quarries at eggleston point and the bush (cooley area) and a few at templetown beach...one (northern) wheatear at templetown beach the best.

breffni said:
went looking for sandmartins (and alpine/pallid swifts etc) today - no sign - last year 6 arrived 2nd April and immediately started excavating holes at rathcor. By 6th of april there were dozens in the quarries at eggleston point and the bush (cooley area) and a few at templetown beach...one (northern) wheatear at templetown beach the best.

apart from sandwich terns everything else seems to be trickling in maybe if the weather turns more favourable we will get a big fall overnight (hopefully a weekend)

a few more migrants about this weekend swallows,house martins,sandmartins,with quite a few wheatears(4 together at hermitage)
2 dark bellied brent where also seen today one at annagassan & one at ballagan
red throated divers,razorbills & guillemots were feeding quite close to the shore at hermitage and a couple of stock doves were showing well on the farm buildings behind the pond

Attachments

• guilemot1.jpg
    guilemot1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 155
In addition to Enda's details, I had a quick view of a very pale buzzard on the link road at the end of Salterstown which brings you out at the thatched cottage. By far, this is the palest one I have seen. Saw this bird a couple of weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone else has picked up this individual.

Freddie.

Have missed this thread over the past few months ( No broadband - Moving house etc )
Good to see its still growing.
Plenty of Swallows/Martins around Stephenstown Pond on Sunday, I dont think this cold weather will do them any good though.
Have also spotted a sparrow hawk hunting around the estates on the avenue road. Havent seen one here before, I spotted it twice aound the ESB building over the weekend.

best i had was four male yellowhammers together at lurgangreen...
nice photo of the db brent here http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/rare_bird_news/2006/april_photos.html - db brent (presumably the same bird) apparently later seen carlingford lough so on the move...

the brent are gathering around balaggan, greenore and carlingford bay - 5 colour ringed birds seen one apparently with a radio transmitter...

Attachments

• yellowhammers lurgangreen apr 06.jpg
    yellowhammers lurgangreen apr 06.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 194
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back