• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with raptors, Lima Peru (1 Viewer)

BirdsPeru

Alejandro Tabini
This pictures were taken today at Lomas de Lachay, 105 Km north from Lima, Peru and need help to ID them. For me they look from different species but not sure. Pictures 16369, 16370, 16371 are the same bird and 16470 and 16477 are the same bird.

Thanks for the help.

Alejandro

Attachments

• IMG_16369_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    IMG_16369_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_16370_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    IMG_16370_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_16371_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    IMG_16371_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_16470_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    IMG_16470_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_16477_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    IMG_16477_Buteo_xxx.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 137
Glabs! Not easy but I´ll give my probably wrong opinion on pics 1 2 3. Those broad based and tapered looking wings (somewhat triangle looking) plus a "maybe" wedge shaped tail make me think it could be an imm. Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus) but far from sure.
An imm. Great Black-Hawk (Buteogallus urubitinga) could also be a fairly good match.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on peruvian raptors will post better help soon.
Saludos
Eduardo

Hi All,

The first three look good for Geranoaetus melanoleucus and the last two for Buteo polyosoma, with both being young birds.

Chris

I think juvenile Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle is good for first, but maybe juv. Double Toothed Kite (Harpagus bidentatus) or Bicoloured Hawk (Accipiter bicolor) for the second?

jocateme said:
I think juvenile Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle is good for first, but maybe juv. Double Toothed Kite (Harpagus bidentatus) or Bicoloured Hawk (Accipiter bicolor) for the second?
Hi João,

I don't think the shape or patterning fits for a juvenile Double-toothed Kite, and aren't they rare to unrecorded on the Pacific slope near Lima? I also don't see this as an Accipiter in general, but the pattern seems unlike any illustration of Bicolored Hawk I have seen. I also suspect Bicolored Hawk is somewhat rare around Lima too. On the other hand, it seem an extremely good fit for the juvenile Buteo polysoma described and illustrated in Jaramillo's Birds of Chile. The pale tail with fine barring, the heavily patterned belly, plain breast with rufous wash, as well as the face pattern (pale supercillium and darker malar mark) match up nicely with that illustration. Isn't it is also the most likely raptor for that area, right? That's my rationale for my call anyway.

Chris

Thanks everyone for the answers.

As mention the second group of pictures I was thinking about a Buteo Polyosoma as it is the most usual raptor at Lomas de Lachay and the shape fit for a Buteo.

And for the first 3 pictures, thanks for the ID help, there were also one adult black-chested buzzard-eagle at the reserve and do not think of this being a juvenile.

Once again, thanks a lot for the help.

Alejandro

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back