• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Steady days birding today. Had an early start to go looking for Ring Ouzels and wasn't disappointed. Had at least 7 individuals and possibly more. Also in the same area was lots of Red Grouse, 3 Stonechat, 4 Willow Warblers, Curlews, Golden Plover and lots of Meadow Pipits.

On to Leash Fen/Ramsley where we had another pair of Stonechat, 2 Tree Pipits, Lesser Redpolls, Linnets, 2 Yellowhammer, a Slow Worm and a Green Hairstreak Butterfly.

Beeley area produced a female Stonechat, Gropper and quite a few Wheatear. Then in a recently ploughed field near Screethams we had 6 Golden Plover and 2 male Wheatear and a few Yellowhammers.

Our last port of call was to Ogston where earlier in the day there had been a Garganey, Marsh Harrier and Osprey. We managed to catch up with the Garganey in chapel bay where there was also 2 LRP's. From the members hide was a further 6 LRP's, 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 2 Redshank, 2 Curlew, 2 Snipe, 4 Yellow Wags and a male Sparrowhawk. The only downside to what was a good day was missing 3 adult Little Gulls that flew over whilst we were in the hide. We should know better when Mark and Tim are standing in the car park.

Last edited:
I see there was a White Stork over Pride Park yesterday morning. Maybe it was bringing a baby to play with the other 11 babies that have been playing there this season.

I see there was a White Stork over Pride Park yesterday morning. Maybe it was bringing a baby to play with the other 11 babies that have been playing there this season.

Steady on mate, you are on dangerous ground on this thread. Not a bad point last night wouldn't you say?

This morning at Padley Gorge, highlights were 1 Jay (2 yesterday mid-morning), 3 Redstarts, 2 of which were male, Cuckoo heard calling in the distance, and plenty of green hairstreak butterflies. Yesterday there was also a great spotted woodpecker.

The usual more common birds like nuthatch, willow warbler present and calling frequently.

One question I do have, and I wish I'd had more time to check it out; on the drive back I saw three white birds, perched on the roof of the Peacock Pub, at Owler Bar, they looked very much like gulls. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed them and might know what they are?

If not I will be checking it out tomorrow morning anyway, but any help is appreciated, and sorry I can't give more info!

Steve

This morning at Padley Gorge, highlights were 1 Jay (2 yesterday mid-morning), 3 Redstarts, 2 of which were male, Cuckoo heard calling in the distance, and plenty of green hairstreak butterflies. Yesterday there was also a great spotted woodpecker.

The usual more common birds like nuthatch, willow warbler present and calling frequently.

One question I do have, and I wish I'd had more time to check it out; on the drive back I saw three white birds, perched on the roof of the Peacock Pub, at Owler Bar, they looked very much like gulls. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed them and might know what they are?

If not I will be checking it out tomorrow morning anyway, but any help is appreciated, and sorry I can't give more info!

Steve

Gulls are a possibility but did you rule out ornamental Doves?

Had an hour and a half at Wyver this morning to catch up with Dave and those Redstarts........had them singing again and then eventually I picked up a nice male on the edge of the woods that we managed to scope briefly.
I also mentioned to Dave that whilst driving to Derby last night for a meeting (4pm) I was on Raynesway and had what I thought to start with was a Heron circling over the river - but circling?? not very heron like.....however, its impossible to stop......so imagine my distress at finding someone had a White Stork in the area eralier - I had just heard it was "Derbyshire" so obvioulsy wasnt alert to the possibility. Prob wasnt it, but i will never know now...

Also spoke to a few who have been to see the Wood Sand and most think its Green (or certainly the one showing last night was - Sellors et al). Viewing isnt easy with the sun etc so again who knows. Would be good to see some pics or might get myself later.

At least one Redstart still down Wyver Lane today. A Yellow Wagtail around the upper pool, a Grasshopper Warbler reeling between the two pools and a Whitethroat at the end of the lane.

Couple of new Warblers this morning at Carsington, in the shape of Garden and Sedge both singing on Stones Island.Redstart singing behind the wildlife centre. The ad GND starting to look smart now as it comes into summer plumage.

Also spoke to a few who have been to see the Wood Sand and most think its Green (or certainly the one showing last night was - Sellors et al). Viewing isnt easy with the sun etc so again who knows. Would be good to see some pics or might get myself later.

Have you heard if this is still present Dan? Ive heard nothing today. Was going to pop down tomorrow for a look, not been free this week before now.

5 Black Terns this evening at Carsington. I originally saw 3 from near the Watersports Centre and by the time I had walked onto Stone Island there were 5. Also had a Whimbrel and a Ringed Plover over.

Still 3 G.N.Divers present (2 juvs and an adult), 2 Wheatear, 3 Meadow Pipits, Common Sandpiper, 4+ Little Ringed Plover, 5+ Redshank, 'wild' Barnacle Goose, pair of Goldeneye, female Sparrowhawk, Yellow Wagtail, Sedge Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 4+ Garden Warblers and 2 Raven.

The White Stork has been seen again. One on a street lamp along dual carriageway between A38 and A50 near Toyota manufacturing roundabout.

Have you heard if this is still present Dan? Ive heard nothing today. Was going to pop down tomorrow for a look, not been free this week before now.

Hi Chris, sorry wasnt on line yesterday so didnt see the query - the answer is I dont know im afraid - I havent been but I know it was still present on tuesday.
As views were poor at best etc I havent bothered.
There was one on Neatholme yesterday so could be same bird.

Anyway just distracted by two Little Swifts together in Cornwall......!

While out in Mill Dale photographing Dippers, I noticed a number of what looked like yellow lenses fixed to trees. They were similar to a torch head. At a guess they would be about 50mm in diameter and all had a red tag on them.

I just wondered if anyone knew what they were?

Cuckoo arrived back at Shire Hill Glossop yesterday (Thursday) and is calling all the time this morning while I was checking for Pied Flycatchers - success a pair are moving into a well selected nest box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back