• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

Me too Nick! - but Dad really likes traditional illustrations - this is a genuine Victorian print that he bought me in Egypt a few years ago of Sacred and White Ibis - I actually really like this too, so trying to find a happy medium!

anyway soldiering on ....

Attachments

• SiddleshamGLOSSYIBIS.jpg
    SiddleshamGLOSSYIBIS.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 31
Nice work Deborah. Your Ibis has a kind of comedy strut thing going on! Not a bird I've seen but pics of it always remind me of 'The Great Gonzo' from the muppets!

BTW. I think John Edwards is a happy medium...

Woody

If anyone is Interested, The Glossy Ibis at Marshside Marsh - North Merseyside is still showing after almost a year (first seen in October 06 at Brockholes Quarry, Preston, My Local Patch!)
Nick - Get to Carcassonne and get the next flight John Lennon Airport in Liverpool, or Better Still, Girona for Blackpool!

Zac

Finished eventually - took me more than two days to get this together then out of frustration did a rough scribble in 3 minutes flat which I think I prefer! :C Run out of tobacco and milk now - and my shoulder bl*ody killing me! Back later ...

Attachments

• Dad's ibis.jpg
    Dad's ibis.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 66
  • colour gizz glossy ibe.JPG
    colour gizz glossy ibe.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 57
Finished eventually - took me more than two days to get this together then out of frustration did a rough scribble in 3 minutes flat which I think I prefer! :C Run out of tobacco and milk now - and my shoulder bl*ody killing me! Back later ...

Well done for posting both- my vote is for the one on the right- spontaneous and full of zap-pow!

Well done for posting both- my vote is for the one on the right- spontaneous and full of zap-pow!

agreed, though I'm sure your dad will be thrilled with the other, it too is excellent. That's the trouble when there are several versions, you have to pick a favourite!

I knew you where gonna turn out something a bit special, Deb

This is one of the more ''accurate'' and technical of all your works I've seen so far and it is a true work of art. Your father will love it I'm sure. The colours are so rich and envigorating!

It's a real stunner :t:

Matt

full of zap-pow!

lol! That's exactly the sudden burst of mood I was in to rescue me from a rather depressing and laborious paintathon

(while we're on Egypt, I might as well slip a very oldie in - a quick sketch before dinner done from the balcony of the hotel on my first night in Luxor and the first time I'd seen the sunset over the Nile - those horses galloping along the road were loco and playing chicken with the beat up taxis - the atmosphere was incredible but downriver the birds were something else!)

Attachments

• Nile.JPG
    Nile.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the feedback guys (first one will be more suitable!)

Just a few from the garden earlier:

Attachments

• juvenile starling.JPG
    juvenile starling.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 49
  • sept13garden.JPG
    sept13garden.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 43
  • woodie taking a bath.JPG
    woodie taking a bath.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 54
I see feet again! That woodpigeon is pure brilliance! You can feel the action and the plumpness of the bird.

Thanks all - colour sketched up the blackbird (Believe it or not it was the first time I'd ever drawn one from life, let alone paint one, so was quite pleased with the shape!)

Attachments

• blackbird on the budlia.JPG
    blackbird on the budlia.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 68
then out of frustration did a rough scribble in 3 minutes flat which I think I prefer! :C ...

I like the immediacy of this....it's spontinaity (can't spell it) is full of life . It is vibrant, it's alive!! From my own work, I have learned that it is easy to overwork particular pieces, and it is often the work that comes out of other work, perhaps an overworked piece , that is the better in the end but both are necessary because one leads on from the other, if that makes sense. I hope you understand what I mean, it is meant in a positive sense.:t:

Joanne

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back